UV777GR - Queen of the 7-strings - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

UV777GR - Queen of the 7-strings

How many other UV777GR lovers are there out here? I own every UV model and I love them ALL, but I have to say that over time the GR has become my primary instrument. It just kicks SO much ass! The maple fingerboard makes all the difference in the world for heavier playing and I have yet to hear this level of clarity and definition in any rosewood fingerboard UVs.

And NOTHING out there looks like a GR. I've never seen anyone else play one live. Here is a pic from our studio sessions a couple of weeks ago:

Mine in particular is VERY sweet. I saw her on Ebay a few years ago and it was love at first sight! Back before I switched from 6 to 7 string my primary guitar was a modded DSY RG550 (another INCREDIBLE guitar). So being a fan of the DSY I loved the off the wall color of the GR, and I really missed that maple fingerboard! So I and watched and waited until it was time to place my bid. I bid a max $900 and was unchallenged until the very end. I won the GR of course - and for only $870!!! I even got a mail of congratulations from Rich Harris only a few minutes later - it seems he was planning on bidding but he got distracted at the last minute due to some unexpected news from his daughter and completely missed the final 10 minutes of the auction. Talk about lucky!!!

When it arrived I couldn't even believe the pristine condition of the guitar. I'd say this guitar had been in a closet for close to 10 years. The person I bought it from told me they had purchased it new and had never really played it much. The strings weren't wound, but tied in knots to the posts - proving that the guitar had only been strung ONCE because there's no way anyone would make that mistake twice. It took me over an hour working with two sets of needle-nose pliers to remove the strings from the posts. That aside, this guitar was in DEAD mint condition - brand new other than the fact it was about 10 years old at the time. The paint on the tuners was still creaking and there wasn't a single notch, burr, or ding to be found.

If you want to hear how it sounds click here for an instrumental we just recorded for our latest album. It shows off the sound of the GR nicely. The GR tone by itself has a high end "twang" to it with plenty of low end and very little mids, which gives it a very chunky and aggressive "metal" feel. The maple fretboard lends a great deal of attack which sounds very articulate when double picking and doing rapid lead work. I'm actually using my same rythm sound for my solos - a gain boost wasn't even necessary. The GR sounded great as is.

I LOVE MY GR!

-Lance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 05:16 PM

if you love the GR so much maybe you'll sell your 777BK

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 07:30 PM

Reviews: 1
wow....never seen one before...pretty sweet.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 09:31 PM

The GR is a great guitar, but, my friend, there's only one queen 7....the MC!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 10:47 PM

If I ever got a Universe, it would have to be the UV777GR. I like the way that one looks over all of the others I've seen.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 07:05 AM

Very nice axe, and very nice playing by the way.

th.godfather
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:33 PM

I miss it! I remember when I saw them being blown out at great prices 10 years ago or so but I was in my teens and had no money so I lost out at the time (sort of). I had my eye on a Jem777VBK anyway.

I tell ya, if a time machine ever gets built, I'm going back with a wad of cash!

Mike 777 Haug
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 02:35 PM

I love the GR for the sheer obnoxiousness of the color!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 08:11 AM

Lance, sweet tune! I really enjoyed it and thank you for posting it. Keep rocking! ( Oh and the guitar is awesome too......I may have to build one as a project if I can't find an old one.)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 08:03 PM

I'm not so big on the color, per se, and I'd miss the all-access neck joint, but I'm in LOVE with maple boards. The tone, the feel, the look... I think i could cope with the neck joint and the color.

-Drew
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 11:25 PM

I had one. I had to get rid of it. The UV777PBK is much more my style. The GR was too colorful. It did sound really good though.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 08:41 AM

Hey Lance! We are neighbors! I live across the border from you in Alabama,, Anniston area. Yeah, I must agree I just love the UV777GR they are just awesome, very distinct from the rest of the UV's. My is all beat to crap,, but I wouldn't sell her for the world.

Enjoy

~A
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 08:23 PM

Reviews: 12
Here's me and my UV777GR in action in a not-so-good pic. This was from a show about a year ago recorded on video by a friend. Installed with an Evo7 on the bridge and a Blaze bridge on the neck, the UVGR screams and growls

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 02:23 PM

I want to know if the fretboard is glued on or if the whole neck is made of one piece of maple,.......
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 10:39 PM

Those boards are glued on.

Tags
access neck joint , blaze bridge , maple fingerboard , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck joint , rosewood fingerboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode