UV777PBK trem problem - Very stiff - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

UV777PBK trem problem - Very stiff

I recently got this Universe and reset everything except filing the trem knife edges. It feels so stiff compared to my Jems. Is this normal? Could the beveled knife edges being baddly worn cause the trem to feel very stiff? I haven't been able to find suitable files in any hardware store locally, but if this is the problem, then I will look some more!
* G.M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 09:18 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
UV777PBK trem problem

that is normal, since the UV has the extra low-B and hence string tension for the tremolo to counteract... glen
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 10:36 AM

UV777PBK trem problem

it could also be the age of the springs - newer spings are stiffer than ones that have been broken in. *if you changed the springs when "resetting everything" that'd definitely be a major conributing factor.

I changed the springs in my jem when i first got it and it was noticably stiffer - didn't take too long to break on (or maybe i just got used to it).

The Jemsite tech section has tips for accelerating *spring-break-in time, but if you play a lot you probably don't need to bother.

~kenny
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 11:04 AM
Vendor

UV777PBK trem problem

New or old, springs become 'static' with lack of use. To free them up, hammer that whammy!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 11:18 AM

UV777PBK trem problem

This maybe a stupid question... but
when should you change springs or
is there any need to change them.

Thanx Alden
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 11:30 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
UV777PBK trem problem

Quote:
This maybe a stupid question... but when should you change springs or *is there any need to change them
You might have to adjust the tremolo claw. If the new springs are stiffer you would loosen the claw screws.

Springs aside, the UV trem will ALWAYS be substantially stiffer than the JEMs... glen
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 02:19 PM

UV777PBK trem problem

I knew it because the guitar was 10 years old, 5 of them spent in the case and the guitar was in good condition, but not well maintained.

When I put my .010s on it, i had to screw the trem claw springs in just about all the way and the bar just didn't feel right. *

I put new springs in and loosened each claw screw no fewer than 3 full turns.

Glen is right - there's quite a bit of extra tension on the bridge of the UV from the big extra string. *

Changing springs is very cheap and very easy, not to mention reversible if you don't like the results. *Give it a shot if you have any doubt. *Just be prepared to adjust the bridge.
~Kenny
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 03:17 PM

UV777PBK trem problem

I have a lo pro edge on my yamaha
and i notice that i don't have that flutter
i used to have... well i have none in fact. and i love flutter so much
i changed the springs but still no help. The trem was installed about 6 years ago. What might the problem be? *this is the only lo pro on my guitars so i'm not that experienced with them so any help would be appreciated.
Thanx Alden
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 03:37 PM

UV777PBK trem problem

It'll take a few days or weeks to get flutter back on new springs. *Don't give up if you don't have flutter on new springs on the first day. *Give 'em a little bit of time.

The flutter decreases as the string guage increases too - if you switched to a higher gauge, that could be the cause of your lost flutter. *I had 11s on my RG and it had little to no flutter.

Also, make sure the bar socket is tight - you may have to pop the bridge off to do this (you'd have to pop it to do the springs anyway). *The nut underneath came loose on my RG and that made the flutter disappear too. *The threads towards the bridge end got a bit srtipped, so i put some washers on there and then tightened it up - it never came loose again.

~kenny
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 04:15 PM
Vendor

UV777PBK trem problem

Make sure the teflon bushings on your bar are fresh too. Anything that's 'loose' in the whole chain will creat slop, eliminating flutter.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 05:04 PM

UV777PBK trem problem

I find running fewer springs with the claw screwed in more 'stretching' the springs more gives it a loser/livlier feel.

It's worked for me. *shrug* I'm not saying it's right though. Hehe. It's probably really bad for your guitar.

But in a nutshell I found that if I needed 4 springs with the claw run pretty far out, that if I ran three and ran the claw in a lot more stretching the springs, that it was smoother and 'looser' feeling.

Hope my drivel helps.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 05:10 PM
Vendor

UV777PBK trem problem

Your drivel is right on the money. The more 'open' a spring is the less tension it takes to 'open' it further. The more 'closed' their position, the greater the amount of pressure is required to 'open' them.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 05:21 PM

UV777PBK trem problem

AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! cry:
I broke the arm holder!!!! i over tightened it
it has never been replaced though and i see on the jemsite tech pages that it should be replaced every few years....oh well i just ordered the part from our guitar shop in town, shouldn't be any longer than 2 or 3 years getting here :sarcasm: lmao!! My 7420 still has all kinds of flutter but like you say everything is tight it's brand new, of course it has the lo-trs trem so i it won't be long before that stupid screw in bar will be rattlin' haha
Thanx guys
Alden

Tags
arm holder , claw screws , guitar shop , pro edge , string guage , string tension , trem claw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode