UV777PBK wont stay in tune? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

UV777PBK wont stay in tune?

Bought this guitar new about 5 months ago and from first opening it wont stay in tune.Its not so bad when you play it without touching the bar,slight vibrato still ok,drop the bar so strings go slack and bring back to level and still not bad,but pull back on the bar and when brought back level the tuning goes sharp and stays sharp,push the bar down again slightly and the tuning comes back almost true most of the time.

Have fitted new strings twice and streched strings to death.

Have removed trem posts and applied plumbers PTFE tape to threads and reinstalled to stop posts moving.This dose stop posts moving by the way but did nothing for my problem.

Checked locking nut retaining bolts,OK.

I also own a 440R and a JEM77BRMR and both guitars trems work correctly with no tuning problems at all.Can anybody help me out here,I dont want to send the guitar back to be repaired for 3 to 4 months only to come back with dinks on it and still suffer the same fault,any help would be much appriciated.

Yours greatfully Morris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 07:33 PM
rya

Re: UV777PBK wont stay in tune?

check your trem angle
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Yes checked ajusted,rechecked ajusted several times more in various positions but same fault happens.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Vendor

This belongs in Tech.

Check for anything interfering with the trem returning.

Lube the knife edges.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 07:42 PM

Most guitars will have this problem to some extent. You just have to get used to dipping after you pull up.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I know what you mean about dipping the bar but when you spend £1500 on a top line guitar its unacceptable to have to do that.The other guitars I own dont suffer this fault at all,Both Ibanez,one with Edge trem and one with Edge Pro,both differant but perfect to operate.

Will lube trem posts tomorrow and let you know,Im off to bed its nearly 1 in the morning here.God this site is quite addictive
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 10:03 AM

Hey bro..........
This isnt an answer to your problem, just sharing mine with ya. Every Universe, or RG I ever owned had a staying in tune problem. However, mine was limited to just the g-string. I use to strip my lock screws, thinking I wasnt tightening them enough. I would bend the string, and I would have to hit the trem bar right afterwards to pop it back in tune. Every single one of my Ibanez's did this. I finally figuered out that there was this weird balance of how far the fine tuner had to be screwed downward. If it was up to high, I could never get it under control. I eventually figured out that, after I put new strings on, tune, lock, I would go nuts bending the strings. The g-string would always be way flat afterwards. I would just unlock it, bring it back up to tune, then re-lock it. The fine tune screw had to only be up...........maybe.......4 threads or so. Ive always written this problem off as a "personal defect".
But thinking about your problem..............just curious.........how many springs are on the trem?

~Ranz~
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Hi,there are 3 springs on my Universe,3 on my Jem and 3 on my 440R,all fitted in line.I know what you mean about the G string,they do seem to go out of tune first,well thats been my experiance anyway.
Anyway back to the Universe,ive just lubricated the trem posts with light machine oil and worked the trem,just been playing it very hard and the differance is very noticable.Im not going to right the fault off too soon but it look very promising.
Would trimming the knife edges down help any or is it not worth bothering with,as the new edge pro has thicker edges than the earlier edge/lo pro edge?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 06:12 PM

Hey Sqid.........
It "may" not hurt trimming........but thats some delicate work just to find out it was or wasnt your problem. Others here may ridicule or agree, but some guitars are just severly tempermental. I had one that I had to tune it in the exact position I played it in or it would be off. Everything from the trem bar facing to the back, to snapping the trem bar into it, (finger pressure on the saddles), to just the weight of the neck hanging there would throw it off. Im obviously not much of a guitar "tech". It mat be something as simple as having to add another spring for that individual system. Im sure some one here will have some helpful answers for ya though. Hope ya get'er figured out. Let us know what ya come up with for a solution.

~Ranz~
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Vendor

Chapstick will work much better, or anything with PTFE resins in it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 08:38 AM

Not to mention, the chapstick will keep your hands kissably smooth!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This belongs in Tech.

Check for anything interfering with the trem returning.

Lube the knife edges.
+1

Regards

André

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

It looks like something simple like just lubricating the knife edges has sorted out my problem.Just been playing it for the last 3 hours and the tuning is holding very well.Thanks have to go to Rich for some very good advice,much appricated.

Jason...

Tags
edge trem , locking nut , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode