UV777RE - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

UV777RE

Are these pretty much just like the UV777BK playability wise? Thinking about grabbing the one on feEbay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 06:16 PM

Re: UV777RE

You talking about the one in Hong Kong? That's a beautiful swirl. Kind of wish I had that kind of money sitting around.

Maybe I will when you put it up for sale next month
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 06:23 PM

I thought they were more like the 90's, 1 piece neck and square heel.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Vendor

The one with the "small" 2CM repair? Small?

TECH - All guitars will need a thick neck shim if you want decent pull-up range on the bridge, or low action. The action is a little over 2mm and the trems have very little pullup range. A 1/2 to 1 step at most, and if you roll the action down any lower it will interfere with dive range also. The radius of the trem and nut need to be matched to the fretboard, some are further out than others. A good percentage will also have the trem offset too far to the bass side and need it centered to eliminate interference with the side of the rout. I have had 2 so far that have worn through the cosmo plating on the trem at the contact spot and have centered 7 of them overall [several guitars were requested untouched or I probably would have had to do them all]. The nut radius and the bridge radius are far too flat and need to be corrected to get these guitars playable. The nut mount bolt compression washers are on the wood side of the hole and need to be swapped around and put between the bolt and flat washer. I have loosened all contact point of the pickguard to the swirl and freed any contact to stop the clear from acid etching the guards [this is a small issue with all swirls]. All of this plus a complete setup including strobe intonation is done with any guitar purchased below.

You will find black touch ups in the black fields on most of the guitars if you look hard enough. Even the show guitar had them and I never saw them until the 30th time I actually looked at it. I have pointed out the ones present on the guitars for sale below, but if I didn't you would probably never know they were there as they blend right into the swirl itself.

One guitar came in with adhesive trails on the back covers from the plastic being removed. The dry adhesive residue on the covers is usually a sign of older material, and upon close examination there are light trails of adhesive on most of the covers, but for the most part, look clean. You can see this worst case example here and here.

DISCLAIMER - Sugi covers are extremely close tolerance, in fact so close, some may not want to come off at all. I experienced this problem with the JSBDG's, but with these MC's, the problem may be amplified. The bond between the clear and the swirl itself has never been good on MC's because the swirl can't be roughed up to give the clear some tooth. If I am to set up your guitar, I CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE if the edge of the trem cavity against the cover chips when removing the cover. Another client had a flake of paint come off when he tried to carefully remove his cover [guitar purchased elsewhere]. UPDATE - After removing several covers it wasn't a problem for me. I remove the screws from both covers, the bottom curved end of the control cover is easy to get a fingernail under, and with that cover off you have access to the side of the trem cover. Work it up gently and it's comes off without issue. I had 2 that needed to be bent up in the middle to get them out and have sanded the covers down for perfect fit without the need to fiddle with the control cover. Also done with any guitar purchased below. It should be noted you want to be very careful working around the trem or control cavity as the routs were re-routed again after they were clear coated exposing the bare edge of clear on both the back side of the body and inside of the rout. I brushed the inside edge with a finger pulling a spring off and the clear breaks loose from the swirl very easily. You do not want that to happen on the back of the body!!

I should update the update, I've had a couple absolutely peel big chips off the back getting the covers off.

IMO Ibanez should have had Sugi made 100 new necks with correct radius. Nick told me they built them to the spec Ibanez gave them. Whatever the story the fret radius is probably around 300mm, thereabouts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 08:17 PM

Wow, I guess I didn't see all that when these guitars came out. Seems like they're a lot better as show pieces or collectors items rather than actual players.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 08:29 PM

These were 5-7k right?! They should be flawless
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

I just want a UV with a sick ****ing swirl haha, I can have a friend pick that guitar in HK up with cash and then bring it to me at namm.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo240 View Post
These were 5-7k right?! They should be flawless
Yeah I agree
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
I just want a UV with a sick ****ing swirl haha, I can have a friend pick that guitar in HK up with cash and then bring it to me at namm.
Wait....you just got a pwh...then the gr on the way right? NO! No more UV's for you hahahaa. Actually, why not go for an original mc? But i guess either is hard to find.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:16 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Wow, I guess I didn't see all that when these guitars came out. Seems like they're a lot better as show pieces or collectors items rather than actual players.
I did full jobs on several of them including radiusing the nuts with a 2 pound sledge. They were great players when they were done, but they were not 430mm obviously. And I won't be doing any more nuts. You couldn't pay me enough for that carpel tunnel pain.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
You talking about the one in Hong Kong? That's a beautiful swirl. Kind of wish I had that kind of money sitting around.

Maybe I will when you put it up for sale next month
Quote:
I thought they were more like the 90's, 1 piece neck and square heel.
Quote:
Wait....you just got a pwh...then the gr on the way right? NO! No more UV's for you hahahaa. Actually, why not go for an original mc? But i guess either is hard to find.
The swirls aren't as nice as on the RE IMO. I would love an original MC done by ATD but its harder to find a really killer swirl.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I did full jobs on several of them including radiusing the nuts with a 2 pound sledge. They were great players when they were done, but they were not 430mm obviously. And I won't be doing any more nuts. You couldn't pay me enough for that carpel tunnel pain.
I don't know what you did to mine, but it plays fine to me!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Vendor

If you wanted it as a player it got the nut radiused as best I could. I only got one of them just about perfect, and it was around an hour I spent bending the nut alone. Bridges were radiused and centered perfect on everything, unless you specifically requested it untouched as a collector, which a few did and thankfully I didn't have to touch.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 02:25 PM

It would be interesting to try and pick up a "cheap" MKR and use the neck from that, keeping the RE neck stored away.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If you wanted it as a player it got the nut radiused as best I could. I only got one of them just about perfect, and it was around an hour I spent bending the nut alone. Bridges were radiused and centered perfect on everything, unless you specifically requested it untouched as a collector, which a few did and thankfully I didn't have to touch.
I thought you might have just sprinkled some of your magic guitar dust on it. Every time I open the case, a whiff floats up and it puts me in ecstacy for about 45 minutes to an hour. Then I crash pretty hard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode