UV77MC - swirled by ibzjapan or atd - How can you tell? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

UV77MC - swirled by ibzjapan or atd - How can you tell?

I recently bought a 91 uv mc and was wondering if it was done by darren or in japan.The only thing in the neck pocket is uv77 and the letter d and the letter n.It is a very consistent swirl pattern with a good balance of all the colors and plenty of micro bands especially on the rear and edges.The thing is almost mint,one small edge ding and the usual nick on the tip of the headstock,the lo-pro shows only the lightest saddle wear and the neck plate is 99% black.A wild ride! I still don't understand how to load a pic on here or I would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 08:46 PM

well first of all, the color of the green pink and yellow can help to tell, and generally, the MKR's (japanese swirls) have very little to no black in them. Some MKR's are decent, some really suck. if you email me the pic I'll post it for you
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 09:20 PM
EKG

Good examples of Japanese and ATD swirls can be seen here. Just scroll down a little ;-)
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 09:36 PM
Vendor

No ATD stamp, no ATD swirl
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 09:51 PM

I believe a tour on Rich's most excellent galleries will make you see the difference right away.

If in doubt, post a picture and you will get a 100% accurate answer.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 10:19 PM

As you may know, MKR's usually have a lot of yellow and usually they have very wide patterns (or very little micro-swirls). But, after seeing Rich's gallery, and although i can see clearly the difference between MKR's and ATD's ones, there is one MKR's that i could believe to be from ATD. I'm talking about this one:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/gallery/uvmc3.jpg

It has a very intricated swirl, with a lot of micro swirls that are more common on ATD ones. Rich knows more than me and i believe it's and MKR, but i would be fooled to think that it could be ATD too. I would go for an ATD one, no question, but i believe there are a few MKR's that i wouldn't mind to have too.

To make this post short , you can have a good MKR that reminds the ATD swirls. But if you want to be 100% sure check if your MC has the ATD stamp. Anyway, post a picture and i'm shure someone would tell you right away if it's MKR or ATD.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

No atd stamp.Jeremy,pics on the way,as well as an atd custom swirl I recently got,just need to come up with an inlay idea.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 03:03 AM

it's an MKR, but a nice MKR
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
No ATD stamp, no ATD swirl
generally true, but from what Darren said here, it's a possibility.

Quote:
About the stamp in the neck pocket. I had two of them one with just the name and one with the "about time designs" logo. When I first started doing them I kept up with each one with a photo and a stamp . As time and production got crazy I could not disassemble all of them my self and some did not get stamped but all were photographed for a matter of copyright and history in there raw form (no clear or electronics). I am pretty sure that 80-90% were stamped though as I was doing alot of the disassembly at night after every one went home . I hope this answers some of your questions. Thanks for your interest
Darren / ATD / www.abouttimedesigns.com
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 12:26 PM
Vendor

I missed that post. Darren said on other threads that he believed every single one got stamped
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 02:34 PM

Quote:
.....I could not disassemble all of them my self and some did not get stamped but all were photographed for a matter of copyright and history in there raw form.....Darren / ATD / www.abouttimedesigns.com
All were photographed? wow that would make a GREAT site!

Any volunteer with a scanner?
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 03:27 PM

Lmao ! your out of your mind !!!!!! there is two boxes full of picture and just looking at it will give you a headache in about well ok three sets of pictures. Then they all start to look the same but your head hurts ! Maybe some day I will try it but man that would be a mission . wish I had digital back then but all you had were disks it would be about 400 disks even then, woops we did not even have scanners then God that sounds so long ago ( repeat to self your still young! your still young lmao ! )
Yes MOST of the swirled guitars out of the shop got stamped I tried to be on all of them but we were real busy and I just could not do everything my self and you know what happens then things get missed all guitars were swirled by me but some of the disassembly was handed down the ladder .
Darren ATD
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 03:31 PM
Vendor

This brings up a burning question. Disassembly. You mean they sent you complete guitars assembled and you had to disassemble them to swirl?! Of course I would have assumed they just sent you primered bodies, but that might be too logical an assumption
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 04:13 PM
EKG

If I was to acquire an MKR and had Darren reswirl it, would the guitar lose value since it wouldn't have the original swirl? I guess this question is aimed for Rich.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 04:15 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Kolesar
If I was to acquire an MKR and had Darren reswirl it, would the guitar lose value since it wouldn't have the original swirl? I guess this question is aimed for Rich.
if it were dead mint, it would lose value... glen

Tags
atd swirl , atd swirls , black headstock , custom swirl , monkey grip , neck plate , strat body , swirled jem , warmoth strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode