UVMC Help - expected price and condition - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

UVMC Help - expected price and condition

I have a chance to buy a UVMC so I need some advice. What is the "average" condition/price of the UVMC's you guys usually see. This one has the usual clear cracks, dimples, scratches, dings and slight fading. I would call it a "player" but most people seem to call this "good" or "usual wear for a guitar this old".
At first, I was going to pass on the guitar. I'm not really into seven strings and usually only deal with mint used items. Here's the kicker...$1,100. I'm guessing this is a good/great price?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 08:20 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
UVMC Help

unless it's broken in two, BUY it at that price... glen
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

UVMC Help

Quote:
Quote: from jemsite on 8:20 pm on Aug. 19, 2001
unless it's broken in two, BUY it at that price... glen
And even if it is broken in two, there are guys who can fix that
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

UVMC Help

If I just wanted to turn a quick buck, what kind of price could I get for a player uvmc?
If I can overcome this attack of greed, I could have a raffle for the information to the contact for this guitar. Send all donations to:

"Buy Alan a Pint of Guinness"
State of Drunkeness
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 10:30 PM

UVMC Help

If you don't want it, tell me!!! I'll take it, and if you do want it, I'll trade stuff for it!!!!!

Jeremy
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 11:19 PM

UVMC Help

Big Al,

That guitar will actually cost you $1135...... *$1100, PLUS $35 to ship it to me!! *LOL

BUY IT NOW!!

Then show us all pics of it.....and flash a wicked smile!

Chris
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

UVMC Help

I'm placing a call first thing Monday morning to commit to the guitar (I should have done it today). *I should have listened to my wife, she told me to get it or I would regret it. I hope I'm not too late.
If I don't like it, I will give you guys a chance to buy it for the money I have in it plus a case of Guinness.

I would still like to know what is typical shape for the UVMC? I really hate buying guitars with scratches, dinks, etc...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 11:43 PM
Vendor

UVMC Help

There is no 'typical shape', although you will find a greater proportion of them very clean, about as many will have been played alot. Like any guitar that's played alot you'll find appropriate wear but the scratches, dinks and chips depend on who used it.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

UVMC Help

How can you tell the difference between an ATD swirl and one that was swirled in Japan (they did do some in Japan....right?)?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 05:06 PM
site founder 0% owner

UVMC Help

ATDs have black with excellent tight swirl patterns.

Japanese swirls typically have large globs of red/pink, yellow or green... glen
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 07:52 PM
Vendor

UVMC Help

It's quite a bit more involved than that. I'll describe the differences in detail over the phone and the caller will swear he's got an ATD, till I see a pic and have to let them know it's Jap.

ATD's come in many varieties from great pattern to so so. What they do have is very translucent color, you actually see the white glowing through the neon colors. Jap swirls have opaque color that are solid. Dificult to visualize but I can tell from 1 look at a pic.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 11:44 AM
rvj

UVMC Help

Rich is right, you can tell the difference between the swirls. I prefer the ATD's over the Japenese swirls, the colors are so much nicer and vivid. They have more of a neon glow to them. One of these days I'll have my own UVMC, and it must be an ATD. I found one that I fell in love with, but the wife put the kibosh on me spending another 2k on a guitar. So for now, it will just have to remain on my wish list. *--ron
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 05:28 PM

UVMC Help

$1100. That is too much. Tell the seller the deal is off. And while your at it give me his number. I call him and give him a piece of my mind (and my credit card number ).

Good luck!
Rick
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 12:26 PM

UVMC Help

"depending on who used it"...

If you find my old MC you'll see that a good 1/3" of the heel was cut off the neck.

I'M A CRAZY LITTLE WEASEL

(if anyone has seen this one, let me know)

(Edited by BloodySwirl at 12:28 pm on Aug. 22, 2001)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

UVMC Help

Could be......I'm getting it from G.C. in Atlanta.
I'm picking it up on Saturday. Now would be a good time to share any details about yours...just in case!

Tags
atd swirl , ibanez models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode