Vai Performance Flame Jem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Vai Performance Flame Jem

If I have a Performance Flame guitar that DOES NOT have "Jem" on the headstock but otherwise is exactly the same....what is the deal?

I did check out the Vai guitars site with the explanation that quite a few were exported to Japan - but I bought it from the original owner (who doesn't even play) and it has never been out of the country. never really been played for that matter

What do these sell for? It is hard to determine because there are so few of them

Last edited by 80z?ubet!; 11-23-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:09 AM

Re: Vai Performance Flame Jem

The only answer really isn't a great answer but still the only answer.

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:12 AM

Reviews: 11

Pictures please.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
The only answer really isn't a great answer but still the only answer.

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Not that old bit..... I was just looking for an Idea.....The only one I found was in england and it was 2500 pounds and new ones are $4500. I know I would have to have some serious $$$ to sell it just wondering if anyone has a pricing guide
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
Pictures please.
I won't be home until next week then I will post some.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:23 AM

Reviews: 11

Absolutely, can't wait. I love that particular model but would always worry about snapping off the very thin bottom flame/horn. Eeek!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Performance Guitars made them for a bit-- is that the one you have? I see one every once in awhile. They usually sell for $3500-5000--but it does come down to how bad someone wants it

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Vendor

How do you know it's original?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Probably shouldn't have said it that way. What I meant was, It is a real performance guitar or at least the neck and hardware is - My other performance guitar has very small dots on the fingerboard. This has large black dots on the maple board the headstock is black with the performance logo. Performance Pickup, Gotoh Bridge. Everything looks right but no "Jem" on the headstock and no (half) guitar as part of the logo on the headstock. For the price I paid, I didn't care if it was real or fake when I bought it. I wanted the neck and hardware.

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/model/perfomance.htm I looks like the one here that says "Vai's guitar" with 24 frets but the back looks like the front and is not red. Also, the control cavity is more oblong instead of round. Paint pattern is different too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
How do you know it's original?

Last edited by 80z?ubet!; 11-23-2011 at 12:58 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Post pics,bud--I want to see this beast!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Vendor

Plenty of pics of an original to compare it to.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/used_index/jem_flame/
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:10 PM

Where is the original these days? I saw what I thought was the original in the display window at Guitar Center in Hollywood a few weeks ago.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Plenty of pics of an original to compare it to.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/used_index/jem_flame/
Close but the paint is different. Maybe the body is not real? The rest of the stuff is and if it is a copy it is better than any of the others I have seen. Could have been one of the ones thrown together later or the export?? don't know As Soon as I get home next week I will post pics
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:03 PM

How does yours look compared to the one I started a thread about?
I'm very interested in pics of yours. Thanks.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 09:34 AM

I'm the owner of the Flame pictured in Rich's link above. I spent a lot of time researching flames before I bought mine, and I've spoken to the original owner (who also owns 2 more flames) many times since. Sadly there's not a lot of info out there on these great guitars. Even the folks at Performance have vague memories of the design and there's the added Japanese language barrier too. I can tell you that my Performance flame has all original hardware that would have come stock on these guitars back in the 80's: Performance pickup, Performance tuners, Performance headstock logo with "Jem" stenciled in block letters, and most importantly (imo) a Performance neckplate with engraved logo and serial number. I did pull the neck and other than some vague numbers and the word "Jem" stamped on there, there's no real build info. Interesting to note is the tilt-back headstock and truss rod adjustment at the headstock on mine....other Performance Flames I've seen have the straight bananna headstock and no adjustment at the head, but the owner also has another flame with the tilt so it's tough to say what's what. Of his 3 Flames, he said the colors all vary a bit from each other. And 2 had the word "Jem" in block letters, while one had the Jem in handwritten script paint pen. These were mostly hand-made axes so I think all we can be assured of (25+ years after their creation) is that the Performance shop varied the specs a little on each of the ones they built, and we'll never know the reasons. It's a super cool part of rock history so most importantly, enjoy your axe, original or not!

Tags
via flame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode