Vai Universe Riffs? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Vai Universe Riffs?

Wondering what are some good heavy Vai 7-string riffs or videos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:45 PM

Re: Vai Universe Riffs?

vai uses the universe mainly for rhythm tracks.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:03 PM
MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post
vai uses the universe mainly for rhythm tracks.
Not entirely correct.

A universe was used on most of Passion and Warfare. Since then Steve has used a Universe on tracks such as "Ooo", and most recently on "Under It All". This was both for lead and rhythm.

Mikey
vai.com
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM View Post
Not entirely correct.

A universe was used on most of Passion and Warfare. Since then Steve has used a Universe on tracks such as "Ooo", and most recently on "Under It All". This was both for lead and rhythm.

Mikey
vai.com
yeah but there's like, almost no heavy 7-string riffs really. it's all just rhythm stuff, not really something you'd throw in a solo or something.

on "Oooo" the 7-string is just for the rhythm track right? it's not that exciting.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 03:27 AM

Reviews: 21

Ya-Yo Gakk!!!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:57 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post
yeah but there's like, almost no heavy 7-string riffs really. it's all just rhythm stuff, not really something you'd throw in a solo or something.

on "Oooo" the 7-string is just for the rhythm track right? it's not that exciting.
A riff for the most part is a rhythm track. If you want heavy riffs, I'd say check out Korn or Limp Bizkit. And I'm being serious about that, they use the 7 string for way more heavier stuff than Vai ever will. Fear Factory and Meshuggah are the same way.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 11:03 PM

Reviews: 4

Two words. The and Riddle!!!!!!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 08:29 AM

Reviews: 1

Don't forget The Audience Is Listening. Lots of low B usage goin' on there!!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 08:33 AM

Some people define "riff" differently than others. I tend to place a riff in the rhythm category as well, but is it really rhythm?

Example: Smoke on the Water. Famous riff, but is it really the real rhythm of the song? No, its better described as simply being the part that Ritchie Blackmore plays repeatedly over the rhythm provided by the drums, base, and organ. It is THE part that you identify with song, however. So much so that just about anyone who's heard it once can sing it.

That's my definition of a riff!

Steve Vai songs with an immediately recognizable 7 string riff: The Animal and Bad Horsie
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 08:59 AM

bad horsie is actually a 6-string detuned to C or C#, can't remember.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
In music, a riff is an ostinato figure: a repeated chord progression, pattern, refrain or melodic figure, often played by the rhythm section instruments or solo instrument, that forms the basis or accompaniment of a musical composition.
Does that help?
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:11 PM

Reviews: 2

There's a reason Vai presfers to play 6-strings. He plays mostly lead and employs Dave & Tony etc to play the 7-string riffs. It's not that he can't control the 7-string but it's more stiffer to do lazy trem tricks.
I just ordered his Naked Tracks and I'm amazed and so pleased he did this. I feel like others that Vai has great talent but it's wasted on much of what he does for trying to be "way out" & twisted. I just wish he'd compose more than he jams with a whammy! His Flex-able album was a non-ego electric-music recording rather than being just guitar. It shows creativity in song writing, recording techniques and arranging. The Attitude Song is a master class for modern lead guitar where there's no improvised solos - just great composing.
He definately has a problem with 7 strings in a hushed up way - Billy commented on the Live at Astoria DVD he should try a Baritone to "get over a problem" but just maybe his contract deal is for the Jem & Universe for a set time. Or they need to sell the Universe rather than bring out another Vai design due to costs involved etc. I feel the 7th string lacks as much tone and feels light even at 56 where as a Baritine would be best of both worlds - i.e. keep the dampening control easy and allow crazy trem use. But hey he still has to sell the same number of guitars each year to keep Ibanez happy. The rest of us can carry on getting the most out of our 7 strings instead of using "lazy whammying".
Personally, I love my UV777BK alot!!!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMusica View Post
It's not that he can't control the 7-string but it's more stiffer to do lazy trem tricks.
You don't think he just prefers using Evo? You know, the guitar he's mainly stuck with for over 15 years? You know, the guitar he wrote this about:

"For me, Evo has been the voice of my heart and has seen the depth of my most depressed emotional frames of mind to my most euphoric moments of joy and divine love, and she usually gets the brunt of it all. I have cried, screamed, prayed and bled through that instrument, and like I said, although she is only wire and wood, there is an emotional investment in her."

But of course, he'd give up Evo for a second to play a 7 string if it wasn't more stiffer to do lazy trem tricks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMusica View Post
I feel like others that Vai has great talent but it's wasted on much of what he does for trying to be "way out" & twisted. I just wish he'd compose more than he jams with a whammy! His Flex-able album was a non-ego electric-music recording rather than being just guitar. It shows creativity in song writing, recording techniques and arranging. The Attitude Song is a master class for modern lead guitar where there's no improvised solos - just great composing.
I don't think, a small matter of a quarter of a century after Flex-able, that Steve Vai is "trying" to be anything. He is what he is.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 PM

this has been talked about before.

why would vai used a 7-string live? he plays the LEAD parts of his songs live while dave is behind him raping the 7-string. where's the point in using a fatter neck with and extra string that's not even being used and having a stiffer whammy?

that's why he uses 6's live.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 09:44 AM

People want to see Vai playing Universes just to justify buying Universes.
People, listen: Universes are awesome, even Vai playing Universes or Jems.
Thank you.

Tags
heavy , riffs , universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode