Vai's guitar "BO" Snapped by airline. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Vai's guitar "BO" Snapped by airline.

http://guitarnoize.com/korea-air-sma...ais-guitar-bo/

Looks like the amazing TN was able to repair it, but I get terrified and angry seeing those pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Re: Vai's guitar "BO" Snapped by airline.

What a nightmare. Cringing.

Do you know how much force it takes to snap maple? I understand mahogany getting snapped but the Floyd nut holes probably weakened the neck since this break never happens to regular strats and teles.

I would travel with guitars just for the road and not such special ones that I recorded hit stuff with. I would have a cache of studio gear I would keep there and never travel with.

There are some who, despite huge collections, will travel only with their most prized guitars, like Jon Bonamassa who seems to like to travel with his '59 burst. But having had electronics issues, he has redundant rigs on different continents and his massive rigs, worth hundreds of thousands, costs a pretty penny to transport and is very expensive to replace if broken. A guitar is a little more manageable but still, a '59 Les Paul on the road? Also Roy Buchannan liked to travel with just one special Telecaster which was impossible to replace if anything happened to it.

I am in situation where my band, just for fun, may travel halfway around the planet to play some small gigs. I plan to simply buy a cheapo Ibanez or ESP there and play gigs, and then sell off guitar cheap or leave with relatives. While I don't have anything expensive at home, I still don't want my main gear to travel since I am so used to those specific guitars. Playing live, while it's nowhere as accurate as the studio demands, can be done with a close enough axe to get the job done. Let's say I had a J Custom or Prestige RG, then on my budget I would buy a regular stock RG if I traveled to Japan for gigs at a store in Japan. Ibanez is so well made and set up that an RG300 or 400 series is more than adequate for live stuff. There's no need to travel with your #1 or #2. I feel bad for Steve but with his big collection am shocked that he travels with such a key guitar. He seems happy that it was fixed but I would have been shaken.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 11:38 AM

wow... unreal. My wife and I flew to Buffalo earlier this year to watch Vai in concert and attend the Evo Experience. I brought my jem777dy with me... like Steve, I brought it in a gig bag that I intended to keep with me at all times.

The woman at the gate said that I needed to check it. I said, "sorry, but it took me 25 years to get this guitar. it's not leaving my hands".

ultimately, i was able to store it under the seats in the last row of the plane, but there's no way I would have let them check the guitar.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:25 PM

I thought that was a typical Ibby stress crack
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:56 PM

Exclamation Re: Vai's guitar "BO" Snapped by airline.

Hi,

I always fly low-cost, and get an extra seat for my guitar. Well worth it.

Before I did this, I would check the guitar in a flight case, until one day I saw the crew "unload" the baggage, and my flight case was literally thrown out of the plane unto the cart. When I opened the case, the tremolo had snapped out of its posts from the blow

Some regular airlines let you take your instrument on board and then it is stored by the flight personnel in the cabin. I prefer having my guitar strapped into the seat next to me though

Regards,

JP
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 03:10 PM

weird this happened to my brother as well also with korean air to japan. He brought the guitar in a gig bag and was supposed to be able to bring it on the plane with him, but they wouldn't allow it on the plane for some reason so it was checked.The gig bag was of an extremely high quality and as they were loading it onto the plane they tossed it to an employee who missed the throw causing the bottom left of the case to crack and the mahogany body of the guitar experience tremendous external and internal damage done .The set neck also had multiple small cracks and the top right part of the headstock was broken off along with a tuning peg because it fell a good 10 to 15 feet from a ladder. morons
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 09:52 AM

Makes you wonder why Vai hasn't got road cases for his guitars??? I wouldn't use a gig bag to take one of my guitars to a local guitars shop, let alone tour the world with one...

I bet Bonamassa's '59 Les Pauls aren't in gig bags...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
Makes you wonder why Vai hasn't got road cases for his guitars??? I wouldn't use a gig bag to take one of my guitars to a local guitars shop, let alone tour the world with one...

I know because of his huge sales after the yuppies* decided to make him the house bluesman (like Kenny G is the house sax player and Michael Buble the house crooner), he has enough money to have one '59 here, and others in Europe, Japan, Australia, etc. Of course he would have to pay a butler to watch them and keep them well oiled. Heck, if I didn't have to live in the USA I would sign up to watch his '59 and rig. I see the '58-60 bursts come into one of the stores he likes to frequent and if I don't see them anymore, and it sold to a "player" instead of a investment collector, then there's a chance it could be Bonamassa.

* - (from the gearpage)

OK. I admit it. I'm a 55 year old yuppie scumbag with nice gear who sucks at this
So what?

Just thank your guitar weenie stars there are idiots like me or there would be no friggin music gear industry at all. Nobody would go to guitar lessons or guitar camps or buy Joe Bonamassa tickets or music gear. It's just like my other hobby, road cycling. I was an amateur bicycle racer for 20 years, and I've kind of hung up the racing shoes. In that hobby (and make no mistake, for most of us, these pursuits are strictly fun hobbies, all our passionate delusions aside), the amateur guys that race bicycles have this condescending term for the fat middle aged guys who don't race who buy pricey racing gear, and those types are referred to as 'freds' (don't ask me where that term originated, I don't think anybody knows).

So in road cycling you have the freds (it's ashes to ashes, fred to fred in road cycling, we all start out as freds, then we all get older/fatter and become one again as I have now). And in guitar playing you have guitar freds. The freds account for 90%+ of sales of high end gear sales in any hobby. Without us, everybody from PRS to Bogner to Guitar Center would be out of business very quickly. It's a fred, fred, fred world, in all enthusiast pursuits from bicycles to photography to fly fishing to you name it.

One final observation: that elitist condescension that exists in certain quarters of the amateur ranks in road cycling and in guitar playing? Once you get up to the highest level (like pro cycling) that seems to disappear, the guys who do it for a living seriously seem mostly beyond that stuff. The bigger they are, the nicer they tend to be. There's always a bigger fish.

Where am I going with this? Nowhere. But I figured you guys needed something to point your flame throwers at @ 5AM on Friday morning. Have at it, my ear plugs are secure, my popcorn is ready.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 08-04-2013 at 12:47 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post

Quote:

"I usually keep my guitars in a double gig bag so we can carry them on the planes. 99 percent of the time the airlines allow this but there is that one in a hundred that just says no, but they usually hand carry it and give it back by hand after the flight...."
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 11:17 AM

That just pisses me off. The luthiers at Hoshino are awesome that they were able to fix it before his first show here, but still, when a neck snaps, it changes the guitar permanently. I feel bad for steve.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 AM

As I said before:

It hurts to see a cracked neck on any guitar!

Having said that, if there is one person who has a few great Ibanezes, it is Vai.

I should not judge, but I would have felt 10 times worse seeing this happen to a regular dude.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:45 PM

Apparently Korea is complaining that Steve Vai's picture metadata says the photo was taken in China and that they aren't responsible. This'll be interesting to watch.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 PM

... and it seems that Korean Air was right - they weren't responsible. Steve posted an update today after he found out some more facts about what happened. Check his Facebook page for more info. Oops...
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 10:22 PM

Did he release the names of the 4 pilots yet?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 04:12 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 14

BO is repaired and back on stage last Tuesday (08.06) when I went to his concert in Thailand. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode