Vai's Sound Has Changed? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Vai's Sound Has Changed?

This has probably been a topic in the past, but anyone notice His tone on P&W is VERY different from the most recent studio CD's?

Obviously, he played a 7 mostly on P&W, but I'm not sure of the amps used. All were recorded at the Mothership.....

I personally love the tone he got on P&W and haven't heard it since.

Could it just be the Universe?

The Carvin amp?

Something different in the Mothership?

Any comments?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 10:03 AM
RCB

Re: Vai's Sound Has Changed?

It seems as he s using a less processed signal. Id take his PAW sound over his actual tone anyday. It was more integrated with the rest of the band. I think the Universe (and the pafpro equiped jems) may have something to do with it since the pups are not as loud as evos (his current tone feels more "gainy"), but I think most of this change has to be in his rig setup.

I love the more "artificial" sound he used in PAW ans Slip of the Tongue. I also like his compopsition better. The new album sounds promising though.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 11:06 AM

wasn't he using some modded Marshalls in PAW?
some José guy.....
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 11:10 AM
rgr

The PAW sound was modified Marshalls and an old Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive with lower gain pickups (PAF Pros, more even response than the EVOs which have a spike in the upper mids). The high gain Marshalls being pushed by that pedal = tons of compression, i.e. the processed sound. I'm sure he applied copious amounts of compression at the board in addition to Eventide abuse. I do like the PAW sound! If you can find an old SD-1 (don't know about the new ones), try it pushing a high gain Marshall-type amp, that is the PAW sound. The SD-1's asymetrical clipping circuit generates nice harmonics which really come through.

-R
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 12:30 PM

He used a JCM900 for a lot of the album. He said that it was his favorite sounding head. I read this in an old GFTPM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 01:11 PM
rgr

I think you mean 800? Not sure if 900s were out when he recorded PAW. I have the PAW music book at home and it has all the equipment thoroughly listed (what, Steve anal?). I'll look it up when I get home.

-R
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 01:13 PM

I think that change in his tone is because of the guitars he uses in each album...

I believe the main tone generator is, in this ranking, 1. the player 2. the guitar itself 3. the gear...

Remember that Steve used basswood-made guitars for all the PAW tracks...mostly Multi-colored UV's....the more recent albums show Steve sporting the "Evo" JEM, made out of alder...

Alder gives a really warm, classic vintage tone, while basswood offers a kind of edgy tone, with tons of mids and highs...alder is what we hear on most Fender Stratocasters...really, really sweet tone...to check out Steve's rendition to vintage tone check "Christmas time is here"...really great tone in this one...

David
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 02:35 PM
RCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonsorcerer
I think that change in his tone is because of the guitars he uses in each album...

I believe the main tone generator is, in this ranking, 1. the player 2. the guitar itself 3. the gear...

Remember that Steve used basswood-made guitars for all the PAW tracks...mostly Multi-colored UV's....the more recent albums show Steve sporting the "Evo" JEM, made out of alder...

Alder gives a really warm, classic vintage tone, while basswood offers a kind of edgy tone, with tons of mids and highs...alder is what we hear on most Fender Stratocasters...really, really sweet tone...to check out Steve's rendition to vintage tone check "Christmas time is here"...really great tone in this one...

David
That is just not accurate my friend. If you are using a heavily procesed signal (like the one in the PAW or in most 80s glam rock records), the gear and the way its setup are 80% of your sound. I have 12 guitars, none of them has the same wood/pups combo (with the exception of the 2 UV77MC), and ALL of them sound pretty similar through my rig. Only the Pacifica 1412 (wich is a semihollow construction) sounds a little different. I mean, you can probably notice the change in the tone between one guitar and the other, but If i change the preset of the GT6 just a little, or if I change the eq in the amp, it will make a LOT more difference that changing the guitar. Even the slightest modification to the preset has 10 times more effect in changing the tone than swaping guitars(ie the RG3120 vs the jem10 vs the Uv77MC).

Now, if oyu are into vintage sounds, or if you like to go straight to the amp..... then you are probably right about the importance of the guitar (although, changing amps or just the eq of your amp, and even the cabinet, will make a lot more difference that changing your guitar).

By the way, the UV77MC and the older jems have a much gentle and singing sound than the Evo equiped jems.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 03:21 PM

In my oppinion Evo straight through the legacy with some delay is the best tone ive ever heard on earth lol
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 03:25 PM

RGR, yes, I do mean JCM 900. Actually, they were a new amp, at the time of the recording.

I think I know where the magazine is, so I post a quote when I find it. It was a white cover, with him holding his black UV.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 03:29 PM

Oh yeah, he also used Boogies.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 03:33 PM

i think i'd get bored if his tone stayed the same
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

I play mainly a 1990 Universe through a Marshall 1/2 stack with a bad horsie and a Boss CE-3. I actually cop PAW pretty well!
The biggest change was when I put greenbacks in the cab - - OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish he would at least revisit that original sound occasionally!!!!!
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 05:11 PM

these days he doesn't use the harmonizer effects so much.I really like them on P&W and on the album SOTT.

Jcm
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm900
these days he doesn't use the harmonizer effects so much.I really like them on P&W and on the album SOTT.

Jcm
Love 'm!

Tags
celestion vintage , clean tone , combo amp , fender deluxe , fender strat , fender stratocaster , fire garden , high gain amp , modded marshall , overdrive pedal , paf pro , paf pros , power amp , super overdrive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode