Vai's swiss cheese! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Vai's swiss cheese!

I was just sitting here thinking about making a swiss cheese guitar like Vai, and got to thinking why would someone steal a guitar like that??? Sure it's unique, one of a kind, and pretty damn valuable, but why?? Where are you going to take it? How are you going to show it off to all your friends, or gig with it? Why hang it on your wall cause someone is going to put 2 and 2 together when they come over and you show it off plus putting a guitar in a glass case is pretty pointless to me.

That kind of mentality just doesn't make sense to me Sure you could modify or change the color, but then again why? If your going to do that might as well steal a VBK or VWH and just modify it to look like a swiss cheese!(the swiss cheese was a Jem wasn't it?) Anyway just my opinion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 01:12 AM

then WHY would you make one just like it?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 08:15 AM

Re: Vai's swiss cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 74
I was just sitting here thinking about making a swiss cheese guitar like Vai, and got to thinking why would someone steal a guitar like that??? Sure it's unique, one of a kind, and pretty damn valuable, but why?? Where are you going to take it? How are you going to show it off to all your friends, or gig with it? Why hang it on your wall cause someone is going to put 2 and 2 together when they come over and you show it off plus putting a guitar in a glass case is pretty pointless to me.
Same goes with Zakk Wyldes original bullseye guitar that got taken. It's probably sitting in some punks closet somewhere, never being played because they're to afraid to show anyone.

Gabe
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 10:00 AM

Doesn't seem so strange to me. Paintings are often stolen and passed around privately for years, and most of those will be recognised by more people than the Swiss Cheese. I would guess that the same way an art collector would buy a stolen painting, a memerobilia collector would buy (or steal) a famous guitar. In both cases, they can only admire them privately.

Still, it's much more likely that it was just some punk who was presented with the opportunity. Remember that they took a load of stuff at once, not just this guitar.

And the Swiss Cheese was not a Jem (except maybe in the Despagni sense of the word) and predates all Ibanez Jems (think back to the Yankee Rose video).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 11:44 AM

I can't imagine that there's any where near the black market for guitars (Ibanez) what there is for paintings (Raphael)...but you never know.
Greg
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 06:56 PM

Kid Rock has his Red White and Blue 9/11 tribute guitar stolen and the
first thing athorities did was check E-bay. And sure enough, there it
turned up.

I never did hear if they caught the guy or not.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

I didn't mean there was anything wrong with modifying a guitar to be like the swiss cheese, just doesn't make any sense stealing one so unique. Actually I'm thinking of having this old RG done swiss cheese style. Anyone have pics of the swiss cheese they can post? Thx.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 05:17 AM

I prefer mozzarella and cheddar on my fries myself...

Tags
ibanez jem , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode