Value Jem DY vs 540s - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: oslo
Posts: 335
Value Jem DY vs 540s

In the future i may trade my 1989 540s in mint condition for a player Jem DY. Let's say the DY is priced at $ 2000. What should i pay in between

Link to Picture:

http://www.jemsite.com/gallery/showi...hp?i=1756&c=39

Last edited by Stensen; 06-07-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Stensen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 08:21 AM
 
IbanezFreak777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,163
Reviews: 25
Re: Value Jem DY vs 540s

IMO your s540 is worth a lot less then $2000 and the DY even in beat up condition will increase in value as Vai continues to concrete his mark in music and guitar history as the s540 wont
IbanezFreak777 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 01:48 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,349
Reviews: 11
Re: Value Jem DY vs 540s

I'd say you'd pay about $1600-1700 in difference. Trade values are different from cash values.
Bryancap77 is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 02:18 PM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,778
Re: Value Jem DY vs 540s

Are these Norway prices? Because $2000 is a horrible deal for a player DY. Also, if a player DY is worth $2000, then I have no idea what your guitar would be worth.

I have a decent idea what your guitar and a player DY would be worth in the US. I'd say there is a $1000US difference between those two guitars.

If the seller of the DY is simply going to turn around and sell your guitar, than what he pays to ship you the DY eats into his profits. You should add the cost of the shipping to the cash difference you owe.

Example: Assume I'm selling a $1000 guitar and someone wants to trade me a $500 guitar plus $500 cash. If it costs me $70 to ship my guitar, then the person should give me the $500 guitar plus $570 cash.
Takin' a Ride is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: oslo
Posts: 335
Re: Value Jem DY vs 540s

[QUOTE=Takin' a Ride;1240686]Are these Norway prices? Because $2000 is a horrible deal for a player DY. Also, if a player DY is worth $2000, then I have no idea what your guitar would be worth.

Well i think right now a fair price in Norway would be $ 1500 for a DY.
But as far i can see there are no DY's for sale worldwide right now. And they may be over priced when they show up. I got 5 Jem's to compare my 540s with. And honestly i don't think they play that much better to cost 4 times more.
Stensen is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Contributor
 
sebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Melbourne, FL 32940
Posts: 3,354
Re: Value Jem DY vs 540s

In the USA 4 S540s will get you 1 DY.
sebastian is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:44 PM
 
IbanezFreak777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,163
Reviews: 25
Re: Value Jem DY vs 540s

[QUOTE=Stensen;1240688]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Are these Norway prices? Because $2000 is a horrible deal for a player DY. Also, if a player DY is worth $2000, then I have no idea what your guitar would be worth.

Well i think right now a fair price in Norway would be $ 1500 for a DY.
But as far i can see there are no DY's for sale worldwide right now. And they may be over priced when they show up. I got 5 Jem's to compare my 540s with. And honestly i don't think they play that much better to cost 4 times more.
Its not the playablility thats going to up the value, its the fact that its a jem with history and rarity. If you cant understand that, then why do you want the DY to add to your collection ?
IbanezFreak777 is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,349
Reviews: 11
Re: Value Jem DY vs 540s

[QUOTE=IbanezFreak777;1240746]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stensen View Post

Its not the playablility thats going to up the value, its the fact that its a jem with history and rarity. If you cant understand that, then why do you want the DY to add to your collection ?
True story. Fact - most jems I've owned are less than stellar players.
Bryancap77 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: oslo
Posts: 335
Re: Value Jem DY vs 540s

[QUOTE=IbanezFreak777;1240746]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stensen View Post

Its not the playablility thats going to up the value, its the fact that its a jem with history and rarity. If you cant understand that, then why do you want the DY to add to your collection ?
See your point. But reagarding rarity. Are you shure there are that many more produced 540S in atlantic blue than Jem DY ?
I love the Jem's of course. And i hope to get 9 or 10 of them some day. I just mean that some of the S series are under rated.

Last edited by Stensen; 06-08-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Stensen is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 05:03 AM
 
IbanezFreak777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,163
Reviews: 25
Re: Value Jem DY vs 540s

[QUOTE=Stensen;1240773]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post

See your point. But reagarding rarity. Are you shure there are that many more produced 540S in atlantic blue than Jem DY ?
I love the Jem's of course. And i hope to get 9 or 10 of them some day. I just mean that some of the S series are under rated.

Its a nice guitar and im sure its amazing to play and looks cool, but not a rare model..

anything built in the 500 series was done so for the guitarist who wants pro quality but at a lower price... so of course they are going to be mass produced..

Last edited by IbanezFreak777; 06-08-2013 at 05:12 AM.
IbanezFreak777 is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 09:58 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,778
Re: Value Jem DY vs 540s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryancap77 View Post
True story. Fact - most jems I've owned are less than stellar players.
Most 25 year old used guitars are going to disappoint when stacked up against newer guitar if you expect to just grab it out of the case and start shredding away. Every vintage guitar I've bought has needed to be torn down and worked on before it was ready to play. Most people are better collectors than techs so most old guitars haven't been properly set up in decades.

I actually think that my two easiest playing guitars are my LNG and my GMC.
Takin' a Ride is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: oslo
Posts: 335
Re: Value Jem DY vs 540s

Most people are better collectors than techs so most old guitars haven't been properly set up in decades.

That is why i try to learn to set up guitars. Every vintage guitar i buy i strip down. Take of the tremolo part by part. Tighten every screw. Clean and lubricate every possible part. Tuning neck and bridge. This is a job that i never get tired of. I think i worked 5 hours non stop with my Jem FP and loved every minute.
Stensen is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 01:47 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,349
Reviews: 11
Re: Value Jem DY vs 540s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stensen View Post
Most people are better collectors than techs so most old guitars haven't been properly set up in decades.

That is why i try to learn to set up guitars. Every vintage guitar i buy i strip down. Take of the tremolo part by part. Tighten every screw. Clean and lubricate every possible part. Tuning neck and bridge. This is a job that i never get tired of. I think i worked 5 hours non stop with my Jem FP and loved every minute.

Yea...I don't do that. I dabble in building and occasionally take them apart, but really, all I need is a low action and I'm good to go. I also don't like messing with older guitars since I'm no pro, I leave that to the big dogs who know what they're doing.

As for comparing production numbers between both guitars, it still doesn't matter. Fact is that a JEM dy is more coveted. And due to that, it is much more valuable.
Bryancap77 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB 540s HH DY and/or 540s HxS manfromplanetX Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 1 12-25-2012 03:52 PM
540S GMC! greendisc All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 7 03-04-2010 10:35 AM
The last one ! (540S TB.... I suppose) Agent540 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 7 07-10-2009 02:28 AM
540s LTD /F2/C2/F1 Shilo Pickups & wiring 10 04-12-2006 10:22 AM
New (to me) 540S keithb All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 2 10-17-2003 10:37 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome