Value of this Jem PMC - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Value of this Jem PMC

I have posted this info a few times, however long story short, this started off as an original JEM PMC, fell out of its case, ruined the body, yadda yadda yadda..!! Now it has an ET swirled Body on it, also has an Evolution in the bridge. Everything else is original ,except the pickgaurds front and back, and have original green knobs also, not on guitar at present.

I am curious to see how much this would be worth, considering its now half original, and i know some people say its worth how much people would be willing to pay for it, but im curious to see what people would be willing to pay for it if it was for sale.

Heres my original post about 7 years ago. http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/je...ars-69775.html

Heres a pic from ET website - http://www.etguitars.com/images/cust...PMC_guitar.jpg

and another pic here
http://halen.com/evh/modules/PNphpBB...s/jem1_127.jpg

Sorry i am moving house and dont have access to all my old pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 07:35 AM

Re: Value of this Jem PMC

I'd say $1400 - $1800 tops.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

cool man thanks, i saw that one on ebay for 11000 and thought man what if mine was still all orig
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:41 AM

Just curious what kind of damage the orig body had?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz5150 View Post
cool man thanks, i saw that one on ebay for 11000 and thought man what if mine was still all orig
Yeah, that guy that wants $11k...tell 'im he's dreamin!

Only a cashed up collector would pay that money, and probably only for a particular swirl (one that looks similar to the catalog version for example).

Because yours now has an ET body, and an original neck (and other original parts), it pretty much puts it in the category of a "parts guitar". The most valuable part being the neck. Which I'm sure someone, somewhere will probably pay $400-$600 for...if you're lucky.

But yeah, no point in parting it out.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Vendor

An Exc condition PMC neck is a $1000 bill.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Wow. I stand corrected.

You could get a new aftermarket maple neck with stainless steel frets for that much. I guess there's value in it being original Ibanez.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:

I've seen $700 but not $1000.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Vendor

And I've seen common FP necks sell for $900......
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I've seen $700 but not $1000.
I've seen one go for that much 20 years ago when you could literally buy them over the counter in the UK. These days I'd think even Rich's estimate could be conservative if you got a couple of interested parties duking it out on the 'bay.

Even I'd be tempted by a PMC neck for 700 bucks!!!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I've seen one go for that much 20 years ago when you could literally buy them over the counter in the UK. These days I'd think even Rich's estimate could be conservative if you got a couple of interested parties duking it out on the 'bay.

Even I'd be tempted by a PMC neck for 700 bucks!!!
You wouldn't be tempted to contact a luthier to build one to your exact spec for similar money?

I mean, you'd get a brand new neck with a warranty. Instead of an unknown, with unknown history neck.

Genuinely curious. IMO, there's nothing wrong with wanting the genuine article created by Ibanez.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Vendor

1. What neck builder is giving warranties?
2. that "custom" neck is would 30% what you paid to have it built, once it's built.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

For me it would be about getting something I wanted as a young man but couldn't have afforded then.

It'd be for nothing other than sentimental value, in the hope that I might find something to attach it to one day.

I've never seen a PMC I've really liked but that's only an handful and I still get goosebumps when someone posts a multicolour NGD.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
1. What neck builder is giving warranties?
2. that "custom" neck is would 30% what you paid to have it built, once it's built.
Cilia Guitars is one (that I'm currently dealing with for a full build) that provides a warranty. Also, local. (edit: he did mention that he prefers to NOT build just necks, his necks are also $500 more than the number you mentioned. I'm just assuming that other builders would warranty their work too... ET Guitars do with full builds, I'm assuming he would warranty a neck too. etc)

Also, if I was to get a custom neck built only (with no body) I wouldn't want to sell it, and understand that it becomes worthless for anyone but me (purely because of inlay choice, and wood choice...plus neck carve and finish, as well as fret size and material).

Same goes for a full blown custom guitar. There is no resale value IMO.

But my point is, for that money you can get exactly what you want. Excluding those that actually want exactly the specs of a PMC neck (in that scenario, you'd look at both options and see if the wait and warranty is worth it).
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Vendor

So you'd rather spend $1000 on something that will have very little value than $1000 on something that will [probably] increase in value?

Tags
jem pmc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode