Value of Vai autographed 87 Jem777SK? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Value of Vai autographed 87 Jem777SK?

Hello!
I've lurked here from time to time, and just joined. I hope it's not bad form to ask for valuation help on my first post, but I'm trying to finish up insurance values for the unusual items.

I have a Jem 777 shocking pink, serial 87153 in very good condition, with the exception of a ding on the bottom from when my strap broke...2 days after I received it! I bought it in 1994 for $850, from Thoroughbred Music. The strap, BTW, was one the Ibanez cotton multicolored swirl straps. The strap broke right where it attached to the leather...bah...

Anyway, I got Steve to sign it for me after a concert in Wichita KS. He signed it in a perfect location, because I was worried that it would wear from my arm, but it turns out my arm never quite gets there. I didn't ever bother wth clearcoating over it, and I play it constantly.

Pickups have been updated to evolutions, but I still have the orginal pink paf pros.

Can anyone help me assign a value to it?
Thanks!

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Re: Value of Vai autographed 87 Jem777SK?

I'll get some links up in a minute for pics. Can't post them direct to the forum yet.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 08:10 PM

Not good at valuing old jems myself but unfortunaltley I don't think that the Vai autograph adds any value. Vai signs so many things and so many things are signed from him on eBay, it might add $50 to it but I think that may be it

That's my perspective though. I wouldn't pay more for a signed guitar but there's lots of other people in the world so take what I said with a grain of salt
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Okay, thanks for the input. That's true, I didn't have to do anything special to have him sign it. Just brought it to him and said "Would you mind?" I brought a marker but he used something he had instead. Maybe he knew marker would wear off?

It's funny, some people have differing opinions on signed guitars. Back in 98, I was playing at a clinic Paul Gilbert was putting on. The 770 has a clear pickguard, so I took it off and had him sign there, good protected spot...but I heard a couple of other guitarists saying "I would never let anyone write on my guitar." Paul and Steve are enormous influences of mine, and I never thought of guitars as either mystic virginal things, nor some kind of investment. I just smiled at those guys...not wanting to "ruin" a guitar with the signature of the guy they came to see.
Anyway, I only have two, although if I could cross paths with Richie Kotzen again I would certainly ask for his on the 570.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 09:11 PM

Depends on how faded it is, neck pocket cracks, OHSC and/or case candy, frets, fretboard condition, hardware condition.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 10:47 PM

A lot of people are funny about signatures on their instruments

I never buy a guitar in hopes of preserving it and possible resell- I buy them to keep pretty much forever. The instrument is already so mine and I'm so used to it that nothing really matters whats on it etc. personally, when I look at the signatures on the back of my 1570 (one of them being Vai) I can't help but smile and remember the whole experience that led up to the signature (wether it be concert or camp or whatever).

Also it's also a kind of an ego crushing thing- I find it hard to be an overconfident prick when I have a guitar that has the signatures of those who have already mastered it years before.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, you definitely want signatures you can work "toward"., not "Oh, man. You've got Britny Fox on your guitar!"
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Since I'm dying to post the pics...
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to spam my own thread a bit...and here they come!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

[

This is where it hit the CEMENT FLOOR when the strap broke. I painted it matching green that day...
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Fretboard is still nice
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

lower side
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

serial on butt plate. Lotta sweat over the years!
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

autograph

Tags
jem777sk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode