Values of different JEMs - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Values of different JEMs

Hi, folks, I'm planning on getting a JEM or more in the future..

But I need to know what each fetch (Including if I make a WTB-thread or two here on Jemsite.. What you guys will ask for it)

Firstly I'm going to look for JEM 777 VSK & 777 VDY in very good condition, and 100% original cond. (No dings, color-fading etc), because I've wanted those two for years and years, but have never seen a single one for sale, maybe I've been looking at the wrong places, but..

Please answer, as I need the figures when I'm going to hunt them down.. I live in Norway, I hope that's not a problem for people in USA or UK when I'm hoping to buy my dreamguitars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 06:56 PM

Reviews: 8
Re: Values of different JEMs

As far as ones with no dings at all, you might have a bit of trouble finding ones like that that people are willing to part with. You're basically asking for mint condition ones. Do you plan to play them or just hold on to them as collectors pieces?

Also, expect to pay a considerable amount for shipping, duties and taxes if someone ships one to you from the States.

I know this doesn't answer your value question, but I was just giving you extra things to consider.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 PM
NSR

What appears to be a remarkable condition VDY (in pink case I must add) went on the bay a few weeks back for $2700. As for VSK, you'll have to find someone that would be prepared to part with one and expect to pay whatever they ask for it (or not).
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybass View Post
Also, expect to pay a considerable amount for shipping, duties and taxes if someone ships one to you from the States.
This is especially true considering you're probably in one of the highest countries for taxes...especially when you'll have to pay customs and taxes for both U.S. and E.U. purchases.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:47 PM

Vsk is incredibly rare and finding one is like finding a needle in a haystack and this is not even considering the condition. You'll have better luck with a VDY. I've personally seen these go up to a maximum of 5000 in real good condition, no crack at the neck joint etc..

Good luck on the hunt. I can't really put a price on the vsk since I've never seen one sold but I would guess due to its rarity and the condition your looking for it to be in, I wont be surprised if their the same price as a DNA.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to have (if I'll ever get it) a MINT JEM777VSK hangin' on my wall.. That would have been awesome.. And if I could afford it, one to play, I really love that pink guitar/ vine-thing that Ibanez had going there for one year..

The VDY will, I guess, be a player, a guitar I will use for practice + gigs, but all in all, both will be hanging on my wall in the end, I know, and that's the main reason I want them; I would love the looks of them hanging there, knowing what they both have accomplished; the VSK being crazy rare & the VDY being my #1 guitar, I reckon..

I don't know about this, but I'll also (if I can't get a VSK now..) and delay the VDY.. Try to get one or more RG5000s/ 550s through here, I promise I'll give the guitar(s) a really good home

Oh, and I love the RG550/ 5000/ 770s too.. Maybe that's what I'll make a WTB-thread about first.. A 100% original RG5000 PN or RR or LB or the green one.. Or the RG Serpent.. There's something about all those guitars that I love, and after seeing the figures, I guess (hope) a RG5000 or 550 would be more within reach for now.. (What's the name of the green colored RG5000 that's basically the same color as the RG Serpent? PLNG [Prototype Loch Ness Green]?)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:48 AM

I love my VSK and VDY! Yes, the VSK is as near mint as you can get and unfaded.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/attach...7&d=1270518647
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:57 AM

VDY's had a really low value up until recently for some reason, but now they're going for a lot. But you're likely to find them up for sale regularly and the price may come down. It's possible that there are a small number of people driving the price up and once they go away, the prices will come back down. I've noticed that on the 540P/540PII. A few people drove the prices up, but I think basically everyone who wants one has them, so nobody is getting what they were even two months ago.

The VSK is the rarest of all Jems. Not the most valuable, but the most rare. You will have to be very patient and very persistent to find one. Even finding a regular SK for sale now has become extremely difficult.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:38 AM

Neither of those two would be high on my list of must have Jems. I'd take a 90th over either in a hearbeat, for example. To each his own though.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:19 AM

I really like the VSK, but I think I'd prefer the SK.

..actually, either would be very welcome in my house
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 AM

See to me, because of the neck carve, the SK is a Jem and the VSK is a fancy RG that says Jem on the headstock. Take away that carve and you've really changed the defining and most critical point of the guitar FOR ME. I completely understand others don't feel the same way, but for me the VSK is just LESS than an SK, just like a VDY is LESS than a DY.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 03:12 PM
NSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
See to me, because of the neck carve, the SK is a Jem and the VSK is a fancy RG that says Jem on the headstock. Take away that carve and you've really changed the defining and most critical point of the guitar FOR ME. I completely understand others don't feel the same way, but for me the VSK is just LESS than an SK, just like a VDY is LESS than a DY.
That's a fair point with the comparison of the necks between JEM and RG. Would you also classify a 7PBK as a fancy RG also?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Fair point. Interestingly, I have Jems with the modern neck and old ones pre AANJ and I find that the VDY is more like the old gems to play than the old ones are like the modern ones. That may be down to the neck finish, the new one being more glossy or maybe the joint...
Jim
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 06:19 PM

I have an '07 77VBK neck on one of my guitars and it is far thinner than the necks on any of my old Jems.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:07 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG&JEM-Fan View Post
I'm going to have (if I'll ever get it) a MINT JEM777VSK hangin' on my wall.. That would have been awesome.. And if I could afford it, one to play, I really love that pink guitar/ vine-thing that Ibanez had going there for one year..

The VDY will, I guess, be a player, a guitar I will use for practice + gigs, but all in all, both will be hanging on my wall in the end, I know, and that's the main reason I want them; I would love the looks of them hanging there, knowing what they both have accomplished; the VSK being crazy rare & the VDY being my #1 guitar, I reckon..

I don't know about this, but I'll also (if I can't get a VSK now..) and delay the VDY.. Try to get one or more RG5000s/ 550s through here, I promise I'll give the guitar(s) a really good home

Oh, and I love the RG550/ 5000/ 770s too.. Maybe that's what I'll make a WTB-thread about first.. A 100% original RG5000 PN or RR or LB or the green one.. Or the RG Serpent.. There's something about all those guitars that I love, and after seeing the figures, I guess (hope) a RG5000 or 550 would be more within reach for now.. (What's the name of the green colored RG5000 that's basically the same color as the RG Serpent? PLNG [Prototype Loch Ness Green]?)
I don't know.... If I had both a VDY and a VSK they'd probably both stay home. It simple enough to make (or have made) a VDY clone that would do nicely and not hurt so much if it was to be stolen from a gig (or your front curb...lol)
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:04 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
i agree with jim, i don't see any reason that makes this guitars so special,
i would pay around $1800-$2000 max for VDY, and around $2200 max for a VSK only if their
both in mint condition or close to it.
but still ill go for SK or DY.

Tags
jem 777 vsk vdy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode