VDY777 pickups and pink - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

VDY777 pickups and pink

Hi,
My name is Marcel, I am from the Netherlands and I recently bought a 1990 777vdy. It's in good shape and it plays great. Also, I loooove its looks! I feel if you go over the top in a design, why not go waaay over the top!

Anyway I have two questions for you knowledgeable guys:
1) It has two identical H-pickups labeled DiMarzio V1, which I assume are PAF Pro DP151's.. My question is shouldn't they be two different ones for neck and bridge (V1 and V2 or something)? The whole thing looks original, without any signs of tampering, but still I wonder...

2) The pink pickup covers are badly faded, which I guess is normal in these guitars, but I feel it would look so much better in that garish pink! Does anyone do replacement covers for this color, or know of somebody who does?

Thx, Marcel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 AM

Re: VDY777 pickups and pink

1. Not sure about the V1 labeling, hopefully someone more experience might know something, but both bridge and neck humbuckers would originally have been PAF Pros. They would have been identical.

2. There are bobbin toppers, but those are literally just stickers. They would probably look terrible. I would just leave it as is and appreciate the fact that you have a nice vintage instrument!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
2. There are bobbin toppers, but those are literally just stickers. They would probably look terrible. I would just leave it as is and appreciate the fact that you have a nice vintage instrument!
Or you can sell them to me for my dy and buy yourself some new ones!
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 AM

Reviews: 11

keep the faded ones, it's a characteristic of its age. It'd be like saying "I might give this '67 strat a respray as the paint's really worn away and looking old"

..... if you do swap them out though, don't chuck em or sell em. You gotta keep the old gear.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 11:37 AM

Yeah I'd say keep em' as well.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Banned

my 777vdy is all origanal but it only says dimarzio on the pickup no v1.unless it says that on the back of the pick up but cant imagine it.you can buy the pink bobin toppers,see max cottam (cottam guitars banner at top of page) if that fails try jaden rose,but i know for a fact you can buy em.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Well, obviously I wouldn't make any permanent mods like resprays.. Anything I do to it should be reversible... and I keep the original parts...

Any thoughts on the pickups?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:58 PM

You can buy replacement pickups (that's what I'd do). It sounds like you'd have an easy sale if you want to replace the old ones!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 PM

To add to what I said earlier, again I would recommend NOT doing anything to those pickups. Either switch them out and hang on to them or completely leave them alone. I would (and have) done the latter. I'm a firm believe that this stuff gets better with age. Seeing a 777 with non-stock pickups makes me sad.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

I am not planning on doing anything to the pickups,although I had expected more gain from them, I was just wondering about that V1 labeling.... Here's a pic from the back... both pickups are labeled DiMarzio Made in USA V1 and a letter F of F-spacing I suppose... Oh and, I will leave the pickup covers alone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0801-2.jpg (69.1 KB, 1 views)
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelvdy View Post
I am not planning on doing anything to the pickups,although I had expected more gain from them,
PAF Pros are medium output. Keyword here is PAF! They're not intended to drive an amp. They're intended to keep a lot of clarity when played through a rig with lots of effects and the gain dimed.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Well, actually the PAFs sound great for nearly everything, also heavily distorted riffing, I just feel that for soloing the guitar could do with just a little more punch.. But I guess for that I'd have to go for Breeds or Evo's.. I have a few distortion pedals (digitech distortion factory and blackstar ht distx)... have to experiment some more...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelvdy View Post
Well, actually the PAFs sound great for nearly everything, also heavily distorted riffing, I just feel that for soloing the guitar could do with just a little more punch.. But I guess for that I'd have to go for Breeds or Evo's.. I have a few distortion pedals (digitech distortion factory and blackstar ht distx)... have to experiment some more...
I agree, I love them. What I meant was that in there in the Yngwie/Lynch school of "driving the amp = bad". Gain hasn't been hard to come by for a very long time, unless you're specifically going for a vintage single channel amp sound. If you've got gobs of gain, and you understand what the original point of high output pickups was, low vs. high just comes down to preference.

Whatever you do, keep those pickups safe and have fun with your axe.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 05:10 PM

Like he said, if you're looking for a bit hotter pickup, you could just stick something else in there and keep the old PAF Pro's on the side in case you ever feel like parting with the guitar. The next owner would almost certainly want the old ones.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 05:34 PM

Reviews: 3

They seem to be original and untouched because the neck pick-up is reverse mounted. They are good for soloing and GREAT for Hard-rock/Classic Heavy-metal riffing but too woody for modern rock/nu metal.
vy100 is online  

Tags
777vdy , paf pro , pink

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode