Vines & Horns - Who was first? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Vines & Horns - Who was first?

Vines and horns

Who was first?

I keep seeing customized guitars that are not of the Ibanez persuasion with vine inlays on the necks. In fact, most have a very Jem/RG looking body as well. There are actually many guitar companies and individuals that have gone through a great deal of trouble to make a guitar that looks and works very much like a Jem.

I keep asking myself, why not forgo all the hassle and just buy a Jem? The real deal. The Steve Vai inspired, quality crafted, badass axe itself.

Maybe I’m wacky. Ibanez kinda’ copied Strats with the body style. Maybe someone else popularized the vine inlay before I knew what to look for.

Are people copying Jems because they are popular or are Ibanez and Steve Vai copying someone else’s ideas? … and I realize that there are so many variations over the many years of guitar building, that there really are few true original possibilities left. I am generalizing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 10:16 PM

Reviews: 5
Vines & Horns

Hey Bob, I think guitar making is a lot like guitar playing. *Nearly everything has been innovated, now the true innovation comes in the unlikely combinations.

* The body is inspired by the strat
* The sharp horns were found on Jackson/Charvels earlier than the JEM
* The Vine of Life inlay has been used on Gibsons and Ibanez copies for many years.
* The Monkey Grip was even used on a few Washburn guitars first.

The JEM (in hindsight) is notable not just for it's innovations (lions claw, recessed trem) but also for it's combination of avant garde-high tech appointments.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 10:22 PM

Vines & Horns

I think that Jackson was the first company to come out with the "super-strat" body shape. *I'm sure they got it from some small luthier....just like most guitar companies get some of their ideas.

The vine inlay has been around for a long time. *The first Ibanez model I remember seeing it on was the Bob Weir. *SSV's version is a tad bit different, but the same basic style.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 10:22 PM

Vines & Horns

Jem/RG originality....yes and no.
1. Monkey grip: Original...well for the original jem.
2. Lion's claw: a variation on the recessed theme.
3. Vine/Pryamid inlay: Pure copy. I have seen *classical guitars with both from the 60's.
4. 24 Frets: Please, don't get me started.
5. PMC: two words..."immersion graphics".
6. Lo-Pro/Edge: Improving on someone else's idea. *
7. H-S-H: well...I don't know, but...how original could that be?
8. Combining all of the above together....PERFECTION! * *
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 01:25 AM

Vines & Horns

Ibanez first used the tree of life inlay on the double neck John Mclaughlin Copy.. (2670)... Known as the artwood twin.....

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/Guit...n1/InCase1.jpg

24 frets: Dan Armstrong era....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Vines & Horns

Lotta’ knowledge out here in Jemsite land.

So, Ibanez pulled in many ideas from different places, improved or at least changed a few and came up with a guitar I love. Even though the Jem was not the first with many of the cosmetics, I think the Jem is what many are copying now.

Good job Ibanez.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 06:05 PM

Vines & Horns

the tree of life inlay was originally popularised around 1600! by the lute and five course guitars makers of the time, these often had extremely intricate inlays.

it has scince gone through many revivals as it came in and out of fashion.

my favourite vine is still the one on my friends 10, Ill have to get one for myself!!!! :envy:

Steve
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 06:31 PM

Vines & Horns

Quote:
Quote: from bob oakman on 4:15 pm on July 20, 2001

So, Ibanez pulled in many ideas from different places, improved or at least changed a few and came up with a guitar I love. Even though the Jem was not the first with many of the cosmetics, I think the Jem is what many are copying now.

Good job Ibanez.
Isn't that what the Japanese are famous for? *Taking others ideas and refining them? *

I'm not just talking about guitars here - I'm talking about cars, home electronics, etc.

Japanese aren't famous for innovation - they're famous for taking an existing idea and bringing it to the next level.

~Kenny
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 06:35 PM
Vendor

Vines & Horns

I'd like to know when they're going to take the Taiwaneese blow up doll and turn it into *The Snapper* :biggrin:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Vines & Horns

I thought that the JEM was basically a copy (made by Mace Bailey) of the old "Performance" hotrods Steve was playing in the DLR days and all the silly little things like the handle came from those.

The pointed horns seemed to be nothing more than the result of the chop-job Steve did to get his hands in, high up on the neck. Though other guitars did have slimmer horns in those days the actual pointed ones can be seen on the old paintspot white one that was sold for charity a while back.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2001, 05:35 PM

Vines & Horns

Let's not forget, while the Vines may not be a Jem-exclusive appointment, the pyrimids may be. I don't remember seeing pyrimid inlays on anyother guitar. Of course if I'm wrong someone in here will correct me...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 06:36 PM

Vines & Horns

I think the Vine Inlay looks really cool. 'nuff said.

Tags
bob oakman , body shape , double neck , guitar playing , john mclaughlin , monkey grip , recessed trem , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to paint vines

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode