Want a DNA?? - Page 5 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 358 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:27 PM

Re: Want a DNA??

I'm not a big fan of swirls but the Herc looks pretty good,although if you put it next to an original it may not stand up too well.
I think it's over priced though,thats the price of a genuine Jem(although not a DNA)but if they're selling....
Rich,you need to chill,you sound real pompous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 358 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:29 PM

Chibanez is a funny word.
post #63 of 358 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:30 PM
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Isn't that an HDS?
LOL, not mine!
post #64 of 358 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post
For me, doing the fretboard is the painful part. I'd rather just buy one then make it myself. The paint job is not a problem at all for me to do. There's no way I'd spend $3200 USD for 500 series RG that has a swirl on it and a new fretboard. Bring it down to say $1100 to $1500 USD and you'll probaby get some buyers....especially if you scrap the skunk neck and use a Prestige neck instead.
The price is the economic equivalent to around $1800.

Not literally, but we are talking in relation. That's why import tax exists
post #65 of 358 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:35 PM

What ATD did to his customers really soured me on swirls.
post #66 of 358 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS View Post
Why is it the bulk of the people bashing his guitar are the ones who have a REAL DNA?
I don't own one.... nor am I bashing, but to start a thread trying to pass a Herc swirl off as a good DNA copy.... well.... NOT!

Quote:
People, judging Darren's to Herc's is really stupid.
The judging started with the original post don't you think? I sure didn't post a pic and say it was a good DNA copy nor did anyone else except Ibanezking!

That's not to bash him..... but you even made a few comments leaning on comparison yes?

Quote:
I know how swirls are done and no it isn't a some majic friken art thing you learn over 4 years in art school. Some swirls come out crappy and sometimes you have a happy mistake. Both Darren and Herc have their share of nasty swirls.
Finally something we'd all probably agree on here..... I don't think anyone would disagree with that statement. I'll bet each guy does have slightly different technique to get the their respective results though!
post #67 of 358 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:40 PM
HDS

Well it is a good looking guitar but for a copy it is priced high. You may want to come down on the price aways Max.
post #68 of 358 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Orig. #119

Orig. #268

Orig #119 is a work of art. Its the best I ever seen in a swirl. Its got that cosmic look to it.

Orig. #268 is butt ugly it reminds me of a hard night of partying and puking.

Goes to show not everything Darren does is great. However when he nails its amazing

Herc is the same not everything is 100 percent.

They both deliver great pieces of art.
Like great artist they have their best and bad moments.
post #69 of 358 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:48 PM
HDS

Jemplayer55, everything aside what have you etc.. it's still a good looking guitar.

Someone had to be the devils advocate here and being I like to see people make things rather then pump them out of some chines factory. When I saw Max getting ready to be pitched forked by the angry towns foke I stepped in . Cant you guys just say "Hey you know thats not bad, its close but not bad." Not spew blood at the dude.
post #70 of 358 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:54 PM
RCB

Number 119 and 268 are among the 2 DNA I like best. Its not average or even representative on how the look on average. I dig, Hercs swirls, though they are more old style (they resemble a lot more to ATDs UVMCs, PMCs and GMCs, swirls). I also like Richard Fays swirls, and there are appearing more and more guys that can produce good swirls.

I like the original DNAs, and I like this Herc swirl too. I would never ever pay the asking prices for DNAs (even though I have the money), but thats just me.

If Herc uses a more saturated palette, I believe he will be able to get closer. Also, Herc seems to be using a slightly different technique since his swirls are "tidier" (the colours dont seem to spill over). The MKRs also dont spill over. I guess it has to do with the type of paint that is used.

That said, 3400USD for a copy is insane.

Last edited by RCB; 07-23-2007 at 06:03 PM.
post #71 of 358 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 06:01 PM

Reviews: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
The price is the economic equivalent to around $1800.

Not literally, but we are talking in relation. That's why import tax exists

I was talking about total out of pocket cost....that's including any import tax that might be added to it.
post #72 of 358 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

They'll be going at £1600......

As with anything, and there'll be loads of nods from guys reading this, if you build anything from bits it'll cost you 2 times the cost of just buying one whole..... BUT you get a totally individual item built to your exact spec.....

Theres plenty of guys out there who will buy bits as and when they see them and put it together when they have all the bits......

And theres also plenty of guys out there who don't have the time, confidence, skill etc to put it together themselves......

Which is where my Copies come in........ Simple!

You get a no expenses spared copy of a rare and very expensive Ibanez Jem which would be out of 98% of peoples reach..............

Max
post #73 of 358 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Jemplayer55, everything aside what have you etc.. it's still a good looking guitar.

Someone had to be the devils advocate here and being I like to see people make things rather then pump them out of some chines factory. When I saw Max getting ready to be pitched forked by the angry towns foke I stepped in . Cant you guys just say "Hey you know thats not bad, its close but not bad." Not spew blood at the dude.
Herc does do some nice swirls..... What probably got most members skin crawling was when Ibanezking posted a DNA pic and started ranting on about runs and such. Making that comparison was a mistake, and opened himself up to.... well.... the mob mentality!

Like I said earlier.... swirls, especially aftermarket swirls are and should be a personal preference kinda thing. I say if you want a DNA buy one.... want a swirl that's similar?? Choose your colors and make it somewhat personal. Don't try to pass something off as a DNA copy though. I'm sure you'd agree if you look at all the original DNA swirl pic's around, this Herc swirl isn't very close even though it's a nice swirl.
post #74 of 358 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdubious View Post
Rich,you need to chill,you sound real pompous
Coming from somebody so dubious?
post #75 of 358 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Well it is a good looking guitar but for a copy it is priced high. You may want to come down on the price aways Max.
I would agree.

I could have Richard Fay do this for, well...

Beater RG 5** = around £250

Swirl = £300

Inlay = £200

DiMarzios = £150

= £900

Tags
alder body , atd swirl , atd swirls , body shape , charvel evh , charvel evh art , charvel evh art series , chris woods , clear coat , cliplock strap , cosmo hardware , custom guitar , custom jem , custom shop , custom swirl , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dna swirl , double neck , edge trem , evh art series , fede swirl , fixed bridge , gotoh tuners , headstock shape , herc fede , herc fede swirl , herc swirl , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jem conversion , jem dna , killer guitar , maple neck , martin sims , music store , pro edge , richard fay , steve vai , strap button , strap buttons , swirl jem , swirled body , upper fret

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in