WARNING - DNA NECK - E-BAY - 220670076492 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

WARNING - DNA NECK - E-BAY - 220670076492

Sorry to cross post this but it's a short auction duration so looking for maximum coverage.

I bought this neck [220656097924] from Gravity a couple weeks ago, and returned it. It is a neck that was replaced with a new neck, because it is unplayable in it's present state. The fret ends were modified [evidently in an attempt to improve it] and it has lost too much fret playing surface for a 56mm heel neck. The E strings will run too close to the curved ends and fall off the edge when fretting with the slightest vibrato. It needs a refret to be a usable neck. I explained this to Gravity, they evidently agreed, and sold it to a local "cheap" [their words], fully disclosed.

This local immediately put it on e-bay [220670076492] without disclosing anything. I notified them of it's issues, and instead of updating the description, they have blocked me from bidding. Evidently they want you to overpay and could care less if you get screwed. Thus, this warning.

This is the way a 2000 era 56mm fret end would look from the factory

This is the DNA neck reject on e-bay

You can clearly see that shallow rounded edge and it's affects on playability. You could buy this neck without having something to use it on right now, and if you missed this, by the time you got around to using it and realize it needs a refret, you'd be far out of your claim period.

The neck was wrapped in the original replacement neck packaging from Japan, but is the neck that was removed from the guitar and replaced, not the new replacement. Before bidding I had specifically asked Gravity what the story was and why was it not on it's DNA and got the answer that the owner liked to mix and match and that there was nothing wrong with it at all. As soon as I unwrapped it and saw this factory replacement wrapping I knew there was a big problem with what was inside even before I opened it.

If you're bidding, calculate the $250 cost of a decent refret into your max bid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 12:53 AM
NSR

Re: WARNING - DNA NECK - E-BAY - 220670076492

Good call!

Banning you from bidding...idiots! I'd be inclined to perhaps report them, based on your experience, for selling the neck as "New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details."

It'll probably take too long for the listing to get cancelled (if at all), but at least if the winner hasn't been made aware of the condition, it'll add some weight in their favour should they wish to enter dispute.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 01:24 AM

Reviews: 11

wow, that's terrible...... your string would slide right off that when you press down on it.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 01:39 AM

Nice way to J-customize your fret ends!

"Condition: Excellent condition, like-new condition. There isn't a scratch, ding, or nic to be found. The frets have no wear on them. It's ready to mounted on your JEM."

Last edited by Melek Taus; 09-17-2010 at 01:46 AM. Reason: quote
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 05:24 AM
NSR

Of course, the problem now faced will be a potential forged DNA #225. If someone on this site has #225, it would perhaps be a good idea to post front & back pictures. Then at least we will know what the real #225 looks like, so as to help in avoiding counterfeits.

I would have thought that Ibanez would have demanded the old neck back though, especially on a limited run like this. Now DNA sellers should advertise "...only 300 made"
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

The neck came through Chesbro. They're not as strict about Hoshino rules, but there are other reasons a neck may not be returned, which I won't get into
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:52 PM

Well done for posting this Rich.

I'm in the market for a Jem at the moment having not had one for 4 years or so, and whilst searching that well known auction site i added this item to my watch list. My thoughts being 'I'll probably never own a DNA but the neck would be a start for a future project'.

My only hope is that the genuine bidders on this item are also members of jemsite, see this post and retract their bids..

Failing that, in the meantime, maybe it would be an idea if as many of us who use evilbay send a message to the seller explaining that they've been rumbled, in the hope that they pull the auction, or at the very least revise the description!! (not that i want to cause any trouble).

Later,
Snakeman

Last edited by snakeman4968; 09-17-2010 at 08:06 PM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 10:28 PM

At first I was upset that I didn't win that neck,Rich,I am sooo happy you outbid me in the final seconds
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:08 AM

Reviews: 25

Well it sold, and there is no way of contacting the winner, which is a stupid 3bay rule.. Oh well guess they will be paying for a refret, after they have the guitar strung up, setup and then realise oh no, iv been ripped off....
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 03:37 AM

But isn't it possible to replace that only fret and use some tool to wear it off to match the other frets?

Nevermind if all frets were like that...
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 05:28 AM

Reviews: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melek Taus View Post
But isn't it possible to replace that only fret and use some tool to wear it off to match the other frets?

Nevermind if all frets were like that...
Rich said all the frets were like this, I think the photo shows the worst of them...
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 10:06 AM

Reviews: 2

How much did it sell for?
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 11:03 AM

$645.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorShred View Post
At first I was upset that I didn't win that neck,Rich,I am sooo happy you outbid me in the final seconds
Glad to know the underbidder got the message. Too bad 2nd underbidder didn't, that was the "winner" this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Rich said all the frets were like this, I think the photo shows the worst of them...
That was just the only one I shot, I didn't see the need to shoot 48 pictures

Here's the last reply I got from this douche, you may get a kick out of it.

Quote:
If whoever buys the neck is not happy with it I will refund their money in
full whenever they ask for it. Just because you can't play a neck with
these frets doesn't mean a more adept player can't play it. Muddy Waters
started out with a cigar box strung with wire from a screen door and he
didn't do too badly. Have you noticed a f-ucking handle carved into the
guitar body of an Ibanez? I would be more concerned about that s-hit design
than I would a c-unt hair of clearance on a fret. The only thing Ibanez
guitars rule is the trash heap. They are a junk guitar. Sorry to burst your
geek bubble. Worry about your own customers, not mine. Search Brockburst on
Google. Its been on the cover of every major guitar magazine and many half
a dozen books. That is what I have been buying and selling for the last 35
years before you knew what a fret tang was. Not japanese mall guitars.
Brian Brock

-heavyjuice
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 09:02 PM

The interesting question is: When did you learn what a fret tang is? I suspect this guy being extremely old. He may be (is) "famous" in vintage circles, I would think it's fair to assume that he is as detailed when dealing with his vintage guitars as he is when he's selling a DNA neck... Bad for his reputation, no matter what.

Next step, create an account on a vintage forum and rant about the neck - only to be surprised that he is on the same forum. Vintage people are strange, so most likely they would ban you, but it could be fun for a few minutes.

Tags
dna neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode