The weather changes, but my Jem 77FP and UV77RE don't - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

The weather changes, but my Jem 77FP and UV77RE don't

So the weather is changing here in NYC and all my guitars are going nuts and have to be adjusted, except for two: my 1988 Jem 77FP and my 2010 UV77RE.

I have a lot of other Ibanezes
http://www.flickr.com/search/[email protected]&q=ibanez

And strats and a tele and various things
http://www.pointedstick.net/colter/guitars/

...but most of them need tweaking. I can understand the UV being OK since the bubinga helps keep the neck stable, but the '88 Jem? This thing just never goes out of tune.

Anyways, I just had to say this to people who'd understand. Back to lurk mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 04:52 PM

Re: The weather changes, but my Jem 77FP and UV77RE don't

my rg 20th and jcrg4 are the same. Good wood I guess.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 05:01 PM

My PWH is definitely NOT - every time the weather changes I have to bust out the truss rod wrench.

My Strat and Suhr are both pretty stable, and have thicker, finished necks. My UV is the thinnest neck I own, and appears to have been sanded by another owner. I've put a lot of coats of tung oil on it over the years and it's helped somewhat, but I distinctl remember after sanding the neck on my first 7, a 7620, it immediately became super climate sensitive; I suspect thickness is a factor, but a non-permeable finish is a bigger one.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
My PWH is definitely NOT - every time the weather changes I have to bust out the truss rod wrench.

My Strat and Suhr are both pretty stable, and have thicker, finished necks. My UV is the thinnest neck I own, and appears to have been sanded by another owner. I've put a lot of coats of tung oil on it over the years and it's helped somewhat, but I distinctl remember after sanding the neck on my first 7, a 7620, it immediately became super climate sensitive; I suspect thickness is a factor, but a non-permeable finish is a bigger one.
All my necks are tung oil or mineral oil finishes and I haven't had problems with any of them through weather changes....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 PM

I have a '88 FP & VBK.
Strangely, the FP remains constant, but the VBK requires a tweaking occasionally.

The tech's first comment was ...... Oh, the old banana neck Ibby huh! Seem the humidity plays havoc with some of them in our climate, particularly after living most of their lives in the USA.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 10:10 PM

I don't have the extreme weather changes of most living on the coast so it's only full acoustics or full hollowbodies that get affected thus they live in cases. The solidbody stuff can be out for weeks, unplayed, and will be in tune no matter what happens with weather.

I found the typical Fender or Fender type strat with trem tightened down is most stable. The alder or ash body and maple neck are tough as nails and neck stays OK and tuning is the most rock solid. Mahogany necked or bodied guitars don't seem as stable with temperature and humidity changes but if solid, they are still OK to keep out and not worry about and may need some tuning. My mahogany necked, laminated maple ply semi-hollowbody Ibanez AS73 is OK but may need some help with a tiny truss rod tweak during winter. If I don't mess with it, the guitar is still OK.

I want to one day get a spruce top, full hollowbody and I know it will have to live in case as if it were a dreadnaught. There may be some super mild, unchanging climates where acoustics can stay out unaltered all year but that would be in a climate controlled room. But according to Taylor, that's nearly impossible (thus the high end cases they have) and it would have to be a room with double thick doors and no windows on the building. I know of a professional recording studio like that, also with double walls and doors, and everything is kept out so all you have to do is go in and record.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 11-26-2013 at 10:35 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 10:58 PM

You guys don't keep your play rooms climate controlled? I highly recommend a portable AC/Dehumidifier and humidifier to keep the room the same climate year-round, well worth it to me, however that's only my $0.02.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 04:26 AM

Yea I keep the temperature in my guitar room constant and maintain good humidity levels. It's surprisingly cheap to do and well worth it IMO.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Yea I keep the temperature in my guitar room constant and maintain good humidity levels. It's surprisingly cheap to do and well worth it IMO.
To be fair though, you usually only keep your guitars for a couple days so there's no way to tell if the climate has any effect on them
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 AM

I have 3-4 I keep long term

But yes, usually gone before string change time.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
All my necks are tung oil or mineral oil finishes and I haven't had problems with any of them through weather changes....
It's probably a combination of permeability of the finish and thickness - my Warmoth partscaster is up at a buddy's place while I wait to close on my condo (December) and that's their "standard thin" neck carve, with about 8-9 coats of tung oil on it, the last two not sanded back to create a thin semi-gloss finish. I got some play time on it last weekend and the neck (which admittedly has that uber-stable truss rod with side adjustment) had stayed perfectly in place. The neck carve is about the same as my Strat, which has never really moved. My UV, however, can have action changes of 1-2mm depending on climate changes, so I just leave the truss rod cover off so whenever the weather changes I can give it a quick turn. It works well enough, but takes some attention in spring and fall.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnovak View Post
You guys don't keep your play rooms climate controlled? I highly recommend a portable AC/Dehumidifier and humidifier to keep the room the same climate year-round, well worth it to me, however that's only my $0.02.
+1

This is a cheap and easy way to reduce (greatly) big issues with always fooling with wrench. That being said, keep your acoustics in their cases. The gigantic difference in construction of the those beauties and solidbodies makes for different storage requirements.

If I know I am only going to be using acoustic guitar for a few days, I do leave it out and it doesn't seem to adversely affect it. I just tune up each time and play and forget about it.

But also some shredder types who are either studio players and/or super particular with their axes never keep a truss rod cover on and fool with wrench all the time to keep it just right. You can usually spot them in LA when you see that there is no cover on it and in the old days the guitar hot shots also had no back cover on strat trem cavity. A drummer who I want to jam with kept on asking me to jam in his climate controlled studio which was (illegally) built inside an apartment. They somehow built a room inside of the existing room and put together some professional sounds. No two walls were parallel and the ceiling was not true to floor but they got that million dollar sound.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantboy View Post
So the weather is changing here in NYC and all my guitars are going nuts and have to be adjusted, except for two: my 1988 Jem 77FP and my 2010 UV77RE.

I have a lot of other Ibanezes
http://www.flickr.com/search/[email protected]&q=ibanez

And strats and a tele and various things
http://www.pointedstick.net/colter/guitars/

...but most of them need tweaking. I can understand the UV being OK since the bubinga helps keep the neck stable, but the '88 Jem? This thing just never goes out of tune.

Anyways, I just had to say this to people who'd understand. Back to lurk mode.
It's possible that that 88's neck was made with particularly well treated, dried, hard, and old maple. So it's more resistant to changes.

I have an early 90's RG with a paper thin wizard neck that is the same. Stable no matter what it seems. (one piece maple too)

Tags
floral , pattern , reissue , universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode