Weird pickup thing. Is it normal? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Dankrad
  • 2 Post By aesthyrian
  • 1 Post By peromucho7
  • 1 Post By peromucho7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2020, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Weird pickup thing. Is it normal?

Hello!! I bought this guitar jem bfp a few months ago and didn't realize that this plastic thingy from the pickup raising up could not be normal. Is it? Also, if I raise the pickup itself, it tens to raise only from one side instead of raising even.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201129_225741_1606690317027.jpg (1.41 MB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 20201129_225850_1606690326447.jpg (1.21 MB, 59 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2020, 04:07 AM

Re: Weird pickup thing. Is it normal?

It is normal,
If we think to same thingy, it is screw that can go in or out and its purpose is to even string to string output.
If one string is too loud or too quiet you can adjusted output with that screw. Some pickups have one or both coils with non adjusting thingies like your midle pickup.

Answer to other question is that pickup cable can sometimes pull pickup down or push up. So make shure that pickup cable is free to move with pickup by opening back cover.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankrad View Post
Also, if I raise the pickup itself, it tens to raise only from one side instead of raising even.

I have had pickups that didn't stay even too... I put small pieces of foam under them to keep them even when adjusted.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2020, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Quote:
Also, if I raise the pickup itself, it tens to raise only from one side instead of raising even.

I have had pickups that didn't stay even too... I put small pieces of foam under them to keep them even when adjusted.
Thanks for the idea!
FireEagle likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2020, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
It is normal,
If we think to same thingy, it is screw that can go in or out and its purpose is to even string to string output.
If one string is too loud or too quiet you can adjusted output with that screw. Some pickups have one or both coils with non adjusting thingies like your midle pickup.

Answer to other question is that pickup cable can sometimes pull pickup down or push up. So make shure that pickup cable is free to move with pickup by opening back cover.
Thanks. Is there a tutorial somehwere to help me how to do that?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2020, 04:46 AM

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the idea!
Learned it from someone more experienced than I... probably from this site. Just passing it on! Good luck!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 10:42 AM

its just an adjustable hex screw, grab yourself an Allen wrench and adjust it to your liking
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2020, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Read it but it only talks about the screws that adjust the overall height and not those specific black nobs. Besides, they don't seem to have like a hole for a screwdriver
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2020, 06:08 PM

I think someone needs to play their guitar more and look at it less.
peromucho7 and Jemerator like this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2020, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthyrian View Post
I think someone needs to play their guitar more and look at it less.
That's what I am thinkig all time.
aesthyrian likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2020, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Read it but it only talks about the screws that adjust the overall height and not those specific black nobs. Besides, they don't seem to have like a hole for a screwdriver
First advice. If you do not know what is allen key, or pole screw in humbucker,
it is better not to adjust it by yourself until you gain more experience. You can make more damage then benefit.

Here is tutorial.
Find the biggest allen key that can fit into the hole.
Turn clockwise to screw in or anticlockwise to screw out.
Plug your guitar to preferably clean sound with least amount of compresion and listen string to string volume. If most of the strings are about same level and one string is too loud or too quiet you can adjust it by this procedure.

But if I am at your place I would not bother.
Just play.
You have great guitar.
Find tabs of your favorite song that you dont know how to play.
And when you learn it, your guitar will sound much better the before.
aesthyrian likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2020, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
First advice. If you do not know what is allen key, or pole screw in humbucker,
it is better not to adjust it by yourself until you gain more experience. You can make more damage then benefit.

Here is tutorial.
Find the biggest allen key that can fit into the hole.
Turn clockwise to screw in or anticlockwise to screw out.
Plug your guitar to preferably clean sound with least amount of compresion and listen string to string volume. If most of the strings are about same level and one string is too loud or too quiet you can adjust it by this procedure.

But if I am at your place I would not bother.
Just play.
You have great guitar.
Find tabs of your favorite song that you dont know how to play.
And when you learn it, your guitar will sound much better the before.
I ended up figuring it out! I just didnt know the name of that part. I had a set of allen keys and was able to move it. I still don't know much of polepieces, but it seems that one has a function of angling the pickup. Could that be possible? (Ive been playing for years...this is just my first good guitar)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I ended up figuring it out! I just didnt know the name of that part. I had a set of allen keys and was able to move it. I still don't know much of polepieces, but it seems that one has a function of angling the pickup. Could that be possible? (Ive been playing for years...this is just my first good guitar)
No, the pole pieces give the magnetic field a path to the strings (the magnet sits under the 2 coils and in-between the rows of pole screws). The pickup height is handled by the 2(usually 2) screws at the top and bottom(below the pickguard). Any tilt can be due to a few things(some pickups have 3 or 4 height screws that can also control tilt) including how the springs or foam sit under the pickup(most Ibanez models with pickups screwed directly into the body, will have 2 strips of foam under the pickup). Next time you have all the strings off, unscrew the 2 screws that are deep inside(where the pickguard has those small half-circle cutouts above and below the pickup) and lift the pickup out and all will become very clear. Most "hot" pickups use allen screws as the pole pieces, but some use a blade, and others(Gibson) use screws on one coil and slugs on the other. Do the different poles change the sound? I don't know. You might also check out youtube for some videos about humbucking pickups for more info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode