Weird similarities and differences between jems - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Weird similarities and differences between jems

I was playing with a friend a couple of days ago. He is another Jem-Fanatic and has a 10th, a VWH and a VSBL. I took my 90HAM to his place so we could compare. The results...extrange. The most similar ones are the 90 and the 10th, but the 10th and the VWH sounded almost the same, a little sweeter the tenth but very, very close. Opposing, the 90th was much sweeter, a little less gain but more definition and compression, and more strat-like tones in the 2-3-4 position.
The blue one sounded completely different, really strat sound and MUCH less gain, the sound didnīt cut through, i didnīt like that one very much.
Isnīt it weird? The alder and basswood ones almost equal, but the two equal different? And seems rosewood killed the bite.
For me the 10th won, wonderful guitar, wonderful sound.
The equipment was a CAE/Bradshaw preamp/Tc g-force/Mesa 20-20 and two Marshall 1960 1 x 12" cabs.
Did it happen to you or was because of this particular guitars?
Apart, there were an Anderson Drop Top, MM Axis, Jackson Soloist CM, LP Custom, RGT3020 and RG3120. The Jems won without a doubt (well, the blue one didnīt, was the loser) , followed by the Jackson and the axis IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 11:23 AM

lol, all i can say is that you guys have a lot of nice guitars there. I'm suprised you said the VSBL sounded bad though, i would have thought it would sound very similar to the VWH.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 12:29 PM

i own a 7vwh, i tried a vsbl at the shop, and i can tell that its way different, at least to my ears, its all in the neck (ebony and rosewood)
but none is better they are both gr8!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 03:54 PM

Reviews: 4
So does anyone else think the VSBL sounds more "Strat-y" than the other JEMs?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 05:25 PM

I have just bought a JEM7VSBL and love the sound of it. Compared to my 7BSB it sounds alot richer, less resonant. It feels and sounds no different to any 7VWH in my opinion. And why the hell is it being compared to a Strat? I have had a few Strats in the past and I think they're all pants.

Hehe, sorry Strat lovers

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 10:12 PM

I recently thought my VSBL sounded very thin compared to my FP -- but that may be due to the thin factory strings, the FP has 11s on it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:16 PM

I think strats rock! I have a strat that kicks ass at any blues or neo classical shred metal! My 7vwh and uv7bk dont sound much like my strat or anyother strat really.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:18 PM

But when it comes to sound, I must admit, my gibson SG wins big time. Nothing beats a good SG plugged into a good marshall stack. Its just THE sound. Hell, petrucci and vai both use les pauls to get some of their heavy guitar in the backround.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Boogie
But when it comes to sound, I must admit, my gibson SG wins big time. Nothing beats a good SG plugged into a good marshall stack. Its just THE sound. Hell, petrucci and vai both use les pauls to get some of their heavy guitar in the backround.
Vai hasnt used a les paul since he recorded with white snake. He currently uses a gibson explorer though for some rythm tracks. He hates les pauls. Broccoli tooth paste I think he calls em
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsboy
Compared to my 7BSB it sounds alot richer, less resonant.
Would you please be so kind as to explain what you mean by this? I would've thunk that richer=resonant.

I'm after a BSB you see, and I kinda hope that it sounds different to my 10th.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
He hates les pauls. Broccoli tooth paste I think he calls em
lol

I find it strange that the very similar guitars sound different.

Freak

Tags
jackson soloist , les paul , les pauls , satch boogie , strat sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode