weird string problem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Fry

weird string problem

hello, i tried a forum search but couldn't find what i am looking for. The g string on my jem is very buzzy, but the guitar is properly set up, and has medium-high action. i keep on changing the string thinking that it is a bad string or somethin but it is not. the whole guitar is in perfect tune, and the nut is locked down tight, and the string. Im pretty sure it is not the pickups either, cause the rest of the strings play clearly. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 01:40 AM
Vendor

Sounds like it's saddle buzz, swap the g with the high e and see if it goes away.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Fry

I swapped them and it made it worse. should i try different combinations like swap the g for the b, or should i buy new saddles?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 03:21 PM
Vendor

Yea, swap them around until you find a combo that works, just don't put the loose ones on the heavy wounds.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Fry

i tried as many g,b,e saddle combinations as possible and it is the same annoying buzz. after i hit a string i hear "ts ts ts ts", and then it stops and the string rings clean. i also inspected all the saddles and they seem fine.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 04:16 PM
Vendor

Are you stringing with the ball at the nut?

Your nut pads are tight?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 04:55 PM

Happened to me some time ago.

Check the locking nut.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich

Your nut pads are tight?
yep, and everything is tight. the sound is definitely coming from the trem side of the guitar. i forgot to mention that when i hit the g string, it seems to vibrate the whole body of the guitar way more than any others. you can really feel it in the body of the guitar when you hit the g string
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich

Your nut pads are tight?
yep, and everything is tight. the sound is definitely coming from the trem side of the guitar. i forgot to mention that when i hit the g string, it seems to vibrate the whole body of the guitar way more than any others. you can really feel it in the body of the guitar when you hit the g string
Some blocks of wood will vibrate sympathetically with different frequencies, that's nothing to worry about. My RG520 likes D quite a bit, and my RG550 likes B, wood is a funny thing. :-)

When you strike a string and can here the buzzing, put your finger on each saddle and see if it stops, if it doesn't stop when you put your finger on the saddles, try pressing on the saddle screws(for the lock-blocks). Still can't stop the sound? Remove the back cover and see if the ground wire is vibrating on the springs . . . not it?

Keep going, when you can hear the rattle press on anything and everything you can think of that could have come loose, even the output jack. Check the stud-locks, see if one is loose, check the screws that hold the block to the trem plate, if one is loose it will rattle, while the other two will hold tight enough that there will be no problem with tuning . . . so on . . . so on . . .

Since your guitar vibrates quite a bit in sympathy to the G string it could be anywhere on the body, even a loose pot. These things can be a little hard to track down, but if you're persistent you can eventually find it.

Mic
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Fry

damn, i wish there were a simple quick answer, but it seems that there never is. o well, thanks for all the input anyways. ill get to work
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Fry

i looked to buy new saddles cause they are pretty cheap anyway, and am not sure about this: are the high saddles for the treble side, middle saddles for d and g string, and low saddles for low e and a strings?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 10:55 AM

The saddles are all the same, on the Edge trem the plate is curved, unlike the OFR where the plate is flat and the saddles are different sizes.

Are you SURE it's a saddle(s) causing the noise? Rattles at that end of the guitar can be any number of things, as I said in my prev. post.

Is the arm holder tight? That's one I forgot to mention before . . . often a cause of rattling.

I went nuts trying to find a rattle in a friends Strat, everything looked and felt tight but it was still there. After much head scratching I discovered it was the pickguard. The part near the lower cut-away was warped and buzzing on the body. I stuck, of all things, a cd cleaning cloth in the void under the guard and the buzz went away.

You would be amazed at the strange things you'll run into. :-)

Mic

Tags
arm holder , edge trem , locking nut , nut pads , trem plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode