Well Its Here - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Well Its Here..UPDATED

POSTED ON BEHALF OF A FRIEND

Probably the best chromed/mirrored JEM you are ever likely to see-courtesy of Martin Sims of sims custom workshop (www.simscustom.com)

What you are looking at is indeed a 'real' JEM-not one of the many
and quite frankly poor R.G imitations currently doing the rounds on E-Bay.

MY chromes/mirrored JEM started life as a JEM DBK that - yes played really well,could cope with and responded well to any musical situation i applied to it.....But i wanted something that little bit different...
kinda worked out like the line from the movie 'ghostbusters'...namely...
'who ya gonna call'......er...Martin Sims !!! of the British based sims work shop.

Martin i soon discovered is a really cool guy with the patience of the proverbial saint !!
Having bombarded him with questions via phone and email by myself re: my vision.

Let me explain i am probably the most fussy JEM owning anorak you are likely to meet.....

Ineed not have worried- check out these awesome pics courtesy of Mr Steve Haslam & Mr Paul Dev (nice JEM collection steve)

What you see here is a perfect/flawless examplke of Martins work,Martins attention to detail is absolutely second to none i cannot find a single fault with this guitar, the mirror finish is exactly that...a ' mirror'

The fingerboard is fitted with 'blue'LEDs so bright you could land planes with them!!
the LEDs are 110% flush...nuff said.

it is also fitted with my choice of pick-ups namely dimarzio tonezone & airnorton h/buckers and a HS3 single coil - in my opinion dimarzios best combination for balance/EQ/ and the most omportant-Tone.

The guitar is setup so well - its gone from being a comfatable Jem DBK (yes the cheap one) to a customized chrome/mirrored Monster that Vai himself would be happy with!!
Cosmetically Awesome x 10
Playability = Awesome.

To all you Cynics out there its time to believe, put away your DIY cans of chrome paint (thats not the way its done)
Martin Sims is one of the only a handfull of guitar Luthiors in the world blessed with the knowledge and ability to create Flawless/awesome chromed guitars and make the available to 'ordinary' none pro players like me and you .!!

Indeed i am still in awe to the point of still just looking at 'her' as she hangs on the wall reflecting my ear to ear grin.

Definitley will NOT be on ebay soon .

Just like to take this opportunity to thank Martin Sims firstly for an incredible job - well done,secondly for his obvious customer relations skilss dealing with my constant concerns.

Dont know how he does it but im glad he does.!!

I am already in talks with Martin Re: next Jem project.......Lets just say watch this space.......

Last edited by Pa55ion&Warfare; 01-18-2005 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Title updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Re: Well Its Here

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:14 AM

Wow!!!

I think i'm in love hehe....expensive i bet?
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:43 AM

Thats one fine looking geetar dude! Congrats!

I checked out the site, the prices 'aint bad at all.

I wonder how the 'Chrome Wrap Round' would hold out on a JS?

Last edited by RaspberryJam; 01-12-2005 at 10:21 AM.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:44 AM

Wild! You know, he sells the laser light thingy's that Vai wear's during Bad Horsie on the Astoria DVD.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:48 AM

Stunning - best mirror finish I've seen yet (although I havent seen many with as good pics as that either)
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 10:02 AM

Presumably thats the finish where he uses the same material as mirror scratchplates? Thats what it looks like to me.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 10:14 AM

Wow, that is flawless. Matching headstock to boot. What does the back of the guitar look like? Is it still bumpy like the DBK?
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 10:14 AM

Hey Serratus, check out the site from the link above, it gives you a basic overview of the processes used.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 10:48 AM

Reviews: 1

Yeah looks awsome. Pretty much flawless
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 11:35 AM

Nice and shiney, Just had a telephone convo with Steve as it goes, And he did mention to look and see, all i can say is, I am speechless, I think i can see whats going to happen to a certain incoming UV :-) :-)

Rob

p.s. Colin, Feel free to get in touch re: evilbay
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 12:04 PM

You had a convo with Steve?
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 01:02 PM

very impressive jem your friend has there.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 02:14 PM

Very Nice Indeed!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a great job well done.I agree with your sentiments about Martin.I've had quite a few email conversations with him lately about various pieces of work he is doing at the moment and about his Spray-Shop which looks to be turning out some very impressive paintwork.He is a very friendly guy and he couldn't be more helpful.He will spend as long as you need discussing customisation with you , even if you're not actually spending money.I think he has a genuine love for his work and it shows in his results.
I think some people are mis-understanding his LED prices on this site.To have just the face of your Jem fretboard done(12 LEDs) with whatever colour LEDs you want works out at just over $350 which,when you consider the cost of fretboard inlay work,is not at all bad.The prices that someone listed on the site the other day were the Full prices if you send the 'Whole Guitar' to Sims.If you just send the neck it will be fitted with the LEDs to your specifications and returned to you completed with the wiring,the switch and the battery terminal (everyhting needed).It's just a matter of replacing the neck (after you've drilled a hole for the wires) and fitting a mini-toggle switch and finding somewhere for the battery.A really straight-forward job! And if you do it that way it's obviously going to cost you a lot less to send the neck than it would the whole guitar.The best bit is that you can take 40% off the prices if you just send the neck to be done as well!!! That makes it far more affordable.Instead of the $850 or however much it was it would only cost you $492 for the full works !!! That's 24 LED's fitted (12 on the face of the board and 12 on the edge).
It's not really what I'd go for usually(i like my 'Abalone' too much,lol) but if that's the look you're going for nobody can do the job to anywhere near the Standard that Martin Sims can.And I've gotta' admit that if you're using the guitar for gigs (like Steve)it looks 'the Business!'
I wouldn't mind just the side/edge dots installed on one of my guitars just because I've always loved LEDs so much and it does look very 'Hi-Tech' and Cool. Maybe I'll go for it when I've got a spare bit of cash to spend.If you're in the UK you'd be looking at £180 for just the Face-dots or just the Side-dots or I think it works out at about £320-£340 for all 24 LEDs fitted (side+face).For the effect your getting I think it's VERY reasonable.
Looking at the 'Mirror-Job' on that guitar up close it's easily every bit as good as the Official-Release 'Mirror Jem'.The only difference I can see is that the Ibanez version has a 'Pearloid' type binding around the edge,which Sims also offer.It looks MUCH better than anyone else's attempts at doing a 'Mirror-Top'.You can't fault it in any way.
I was talking with Martin about when he did Steve's Jems for him.I think he said he did three necks in all for him.He did the obvious 'Blue-LED' one,a 'Green-LED' vine neck from one of his 'GMC' Jems and he also did the White 'VWH' Jem neck of Steve's with the strange 'Wave-Fret' system on it.He also said he'd done the 'Headstock Lasers' for him at the same time.It must be great knowing that Steve obviously liked the system that much.
As I said before,I reckon the 'Mirror Sims Jem' could definitely do with a Fernandes Sustainer fitted to it! It would be the Icing on the Cake,so to speak.You can get them very cheaply if you buy one from the U.S.. I was thinking of getting a Sustainer for one of my guitars just to experiment with it.You can get some really cool sounds with them.
I wonder how many 'Mirror Jems' will be sent to Sims for the LEDs when they go on general sale? Quite a few I reckon.Should keep Martin and his team busy for the rest of the Year at least (LOL!).I don't think he'll be complaining anyway!
Yeah.Congratulations on a Great-Looking Guitar! It's gotta' be the most complete replica of Steve's so far (Sustainer?). All the Best!!!!..............JTM45!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 02:37 PM

Wonder who will be this first posting gold example on this site.

And bet the hunt down of the supplier of that mirrow acrylic stuff ha started.

;-)

Tags
dimarzio tone , dimarzio tonezone , fernandes sustainer , jem dbk , jem neck , jem project , martin sims , sims custom , steve vai , toggle switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode