Werid "problem" with new JEM77FP2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Werid "problem" with new JEM77FP2

Hi all!

I just received this guitar brand new yesterday and it plays great EXCEPT...

The way the neck joins the body is weird. I mean, it is VERY difficult to play up high on the fretboard because of the way its made. I also have a JEM 7V and it is totally different and does NOT have this problem.

Does this makes sense?

The neck pocket on the JEM77FP2 just comes so far out onto the neck it makes playing anything above the 17th fret, especially on the lower strings, VERY difficult and uncomfortable.

I want so bad to love this JEM77FP2 but for $3000.00 I'm not sure I will keep it now.

I mean, I may send it back for a refund and get either the JEM 7V7 (seven string brother for me 7V) or something totally different.

I already have both of Joe Satrianis top guitars (JS2410 and 2400) so maybe I would get the JS1200 and a Blues Jr amp or something.

I am so sad about the poor design flaw in this JEM77FP2 (IMO of course)

What do you all think?

Will I get "used" to it? SHOULD I even try getting used to it?

Thanks for your thoughts. It will make the difference between keeping this guitar or sending it back for refund/exchange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 12:40 PM

Re: Werid "problem" with new JEM77FP2

its much different feel playing on higher frets because it square heel joint neck compare to 7V aanj neck joint....its just the way you position your fretting hands on the fretboard on higher frets 17-24...try get used to it....I would keep the fp2 and send for set up...aesthetic beauty of the body art....7V7 is ok too....not as common as 7V
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Man, I really appreciate your input on this. I was just playing the FP2 again and thinking basically the same as what you said. It just "feels" different and I am going to get used to it I believe.

So, I have decided to keep it. It is just so beautiful, for one thing, and everything else about it, the feel, the tone, the "vibe:...is just magic.

Even though I may never get totally okay with the way it plays up high, I do feel keeping it is the right thing to do.

The JEM 7V feels so much easier/better to play up high but i'll reserve the JEM 77FP2 for less high neck playing songs I guess

HAHA!

Thanks again for your thoughts. Makes me feel a lot better about my huge purchase.

If anyone else has input, let me know.

BTW, I sure am glad I found this site. So many cool people here. I spent a few hours last night reading random topics and it was so cool to see all the people helping out others and what not. GREAT forum!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 04:38 PM

Sounds like you've only played AANJ Ibanez guitars.
When I started play Ibanez guitars back in the late 80s the square heal with the plate was all you could get.
The AANJ is much better but I'm not going to sell my LNG, SK, DY, VBK and all my old UVs because of it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Ahh... great point Sebastian! I didn't even think of that.

How do you feel about playing those "old" style guitars as compared to the AANJ guitars now?

I'm glad you brought this up because I didn't think about how there are probably a lot of folks, such as yourself, who has been playing JEMS for a long time and then Ibanez starts releasing these AANJ guitars and how they adapted.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 05:19 AM

The AANJ has a two fret advantage.

When get up to the higher frets I can get two frets higher without having to change my grip on the neck with an AANJ.

It's not a big difference between the two neck joints.

I don't use the last two frets all the time anyway on any guitar.
When I do I only play the last fret on the high E string.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 11:28 AM

Reviews: 2

FWIW, I have always been playing on the square heel RG's. I got my first in 1990. I have never had problems reaching the upper frets, but that's probably because my technique (or lack of) has always been developed for these guitars. I find that I have to consciously change my grip when playing on AANJ guitars. Not that that's a bad thing or even hard to do. It's just different...........

I think that the FP2 was designed to give an "old school" vibe and sort of a retro feel. It's a very beautiful guitar that, IMO, was a perfect addition to the JEM lineup. Most people fall in love with theirs. I'm sure you will too. You'll just have to get used to changing your grip on it over time. After a while, I doubt you'll even know your doing it.....

Anyway, congratulations. That's one helluva a fine instrument. It sounds like it's adding some nice variation to your collection as well.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 11:30 AM

Reviews: 3

You will get used to, sure...

And some players like Gilbert prefer the old style neck heels because it adds more wood mass to the body which implies more sustain.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

RGTFanatic & vy200 - thanks so much for your thoughts on this. I really appreciate everyone for taking the time to give their opinions on this and they have all made me feel a lot better about my decision to keep this beautiful guitar. At first I was in a panic! LOL!

Last night, for literally 4 hours or so, I played the JEM77 FP2 and MAN... I noticed in that time frame how I was already getting the feel for it AND was starting to really dig it!

And yes RGTFanatic, I have the two Ibanez Joe Satriani models (JS2410 and JS2400) and I plan on expanding the variation even more! I will be getting the UV70P and the JS1200 next. Or, maybe i'll get the JEM 70V (Sea Foam Green...LOVE that color!) next? Hmmm...

Its addicting HAHA!

Thanks again everyone!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 PM

I have an FP2 and a JS2410 and I absolutely love both of them, square heel and all. At first I was unsure because I've used the aanj for so long. No issues and both are beautiful instruments to play.

Tags
jem 77fp2 , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode