Wetsanding?.... not as hard as it sounds. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Wetsanding?.... not as hard as it sounds.

okay, I'm absolutely no professional with tools, or building things and once I designed my entry for the Jem Contest, I became obsessed with building my own. I have the body ready and waiting to get started but first I had to learn how to Wetsand and polish as the final test to see if I'm capable of building it. I tried it on my initial test blocks that I made before I even ordered a body thinking it would be a disaster.....well..... this is how it came out......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Re: Wetsanding?.... not as hard as it sounds.

If you're interested in learning how to do this, then don't listen to me..... Download the free podcast on iTunes called "eGuitar Plans Podcast" - Episode 7 and do everything he says to the letter..... dude knows what he's talking about.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:28 AM

Wetsanding feels awesome.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

I know.... I only just finished it and I'm giddy with excitement! It's freaking beautiful and easy to do so long as you follow the rules.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:51 AM

I'll have to check this technique out. I was thinking just a tung oil finish on my next project, but that looks great! and if you say its easy....
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I found it easy only after listening to Ep 7 of the abovementioned podcast about 30 times over before I even did anything. I knew how to do it before I ever did it. I've never built anything in my life..... I'm not handy with tools, not a craftsman or anything. This is my first attempt at anything like this and I'm suprised I even got this far. I'm having sooooo much fun doing it though.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Also might I say that when you read up on this whole process, it looks daunting and not worth doing yourself as it's too much trouble.... well it's not. I'll save myself $500 bucks for doing my own clearcoat as opposed to a pro doing it and I'll have the satisfaction of being able to say that I did it myself. If you're considering trying this, I highly recommend it.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 01:36 PM

what podcast? sounds interesting
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
Also might I say that when you read up on this whole process, it looks daunting and not worth doing yourself as it's too much trouble.... well it's not. I'll save myself $500 bucks for doing my own clearcoat as opposed to a pro doing it and I'll have the satisfaction of being able to say that I did it myself. If you're considering trying this, I highly recommend it.
Your right... Take your time, and it is easy to do. I really like the 3M micro mesh pads for this job. They go up to 12000, and are reusable. Score!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:13 PM

The only way to screw this up is not being patient enough. If you try and speed through a step, you end up leaving sanding marks from the previous step that won't come out. As long as you start with an appropriate grade of paper and get the initial orange peel flat, each subsequent step works great as long as you make sure to get all the marks from the previous grade of paper out. The final buff is a piece of cake.

The only real downside to doing it yourself is that pro clears won't yellow much over time like nitro clears will. It isn't a great idea to start spraying poly paints yourself without a breathing apparatus.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

yep, it's very tempting to jump the gun but I know that it's just stupid. You can't rush this stuff if you want a good result. The hardest part will be waiting 2 months to wetsand after spraying the clearcoat.... I know they say 1 month, but like you said, I wanna be sure it's all good. I'll only get one shot and I don't want to have to sand it all down again.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesimo View Post
what podcast? sounds interesting
"eGuitar Plans Podcast" on iTunes. Painting, wetsanding and buffing episode is number 7.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 02:21 PM
HDS

Yep, wet sanding is pretty easy.
C.Thcp , tung oil for necks not for bodies Not to say you cant but I don't advise it.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 04:00 PM

It does get harder when its a larger 3D shape (like a guitar body) tho - trying not to sand thru the edges, etc, means being very careful. I'm sure it is easy on a small flat square with clear only on one side. I'm not disagreeing with you, just hold judgement until you've done it on bigger stuff!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serratus View Post
It does get harder when its a larger 3D shape (like a guitar body) tho - trying not to sand thru the edges, etc, means being very careful. I'm sure it is easy on a small flat square with clear only on one side. I'm not disagreeing with you, just hold judgement until you've done it on bigger stuff!
I totally agree with you. I was thinking that as I was doing it but if I follow the rules laid out by the guy in the podcast hopefully all will be well. He basically said to keep a quarter of an inch away from all edges until you get up to 1500grit paper then lightly do the edges by hand without the block, taking great care of course. It will be interesting to see how it goes. At the very worst, I'll learn how NOT to do it..... but I'll still learn and that's the main thing (but I'd still be pretty p!ssed) LOL

Tags
wet sanding , wetsanding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode