Whammy bar help! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Unhappy Whammy bar help!

My whammy bar is way loose. and i dont want ot have to spend 15 bucks for a new bar because they wont sell me the new bushings seperete/. and tighting the screw under the tremelo doesnt helo. ive read the tech section on IbanezRules.com. i tried that d'addario package trick that i think JJEMMER77 told me. but i dont know how to do it properly. are there any other tricks of the trade i can well... trade? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 11:15 PM

Re: Whammy bar help!

Take the bushings off and put nail polish/tape on the groovs and put them back on.That usually keeps it stiff for a while.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 11:28 PM

There is a NUT underneath that is usually the culpret, unfortunatly you have to take the trem out to tighten it. It takes a 10mm wrench, but it's worth it.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 11:38 PM

Youll have to fix the bushings and the nut because they are both problems in themselves and the bar will still be loose unless both are taken care of.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

the nail polishy thing works perfectly. all that was wrong was the bushings being old. even tho its a brand new guitar. hmmm. well now i know what helps
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

ok. would super gluing the grooves on the bar, letting it dry and then replacing the washers help also. or like hot glue. would that work to add more lift on the washers to help the bar stay tight?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 03:35 AM

Hot glue is a good idea.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 03:50 AM

personally i prefer using PTFE tapes
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Hmm PTFE? i dont know what that is.

I need pics, or maybe vids on how to do these tricks. and if rich could make a video fo doing the normal way of removing the trem and tighting the nut. i cant do anything by reading instructions. i have to watch to learn.

thanks

Asian

sorry if this makes me look demanding
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-MAN View Post
There is a NUT underneath that is usually the culpret, unfortunatly you have to take the trem out to tighten it. It takes a 10mm wrench, but it's worth it.

+1!

If you want to FIX the problem. The d'addario package is just a quick fix but it works well.

If you're not comfortable with removing the trem yourself, just bring it back to the shop you got it at. Sam Ash I'm guessing???
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
+1!

If you want to FIX the problem. The d'addario package is just a quick fix but it works well.

If you're not comfortable with removing the trem yourself, just bring it back to the shop you got it at. Sam Ash I'm guessing???
yea. or ill take it to a guitar repair shop across the street from my local guitar center
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 08:10 PM

i've tightened the nut on the back of my trem but its still loose
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

yea mine too. i dont think that it is the nut that needs tightening for me. i tried and the nut wont tighten anymore. im thinking this is all a bar problem. ill ask the guitarr tech to look into it for me.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 06:52 PM

Exclamation Re: Whammy bar help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-MAN View Post
Thanks for that info! It just so happens that I recently bought a deep-well 10mm socket and it's deep enough to catch the nut as-is: I didn't have to take the vibrato (tremolo) out to do it. I just moved the vibrato enuf to get the socket on it (may have to put the whammy bar on it and dive it some) and it worked. It might be a good idea to take the "bar tightening spring" off the shaft to be sure it doesn't get damaged. I did that to all 5 of mine and it worked like a charm.
This is a much better way to get the vibrato tight. I used to get a straight screwdriver and try to screw it tighter from the top of the unit. Not a great way to do it.
While I was at it, I put some little strips of foam rubber under all the springs to stop them from vibrating.
HTH.
David Tetlow

Tags
local guitar center , sam ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode