what is the Absolute best trem that comes on a jem or rg - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

what is the Absolute best trem that comes on a jem or rg

So what is the best trem that comes on a jem or rg series, meaning that stays in tune the best etc. if there is a better one, but doesnt come on a jem or rg let me know about that one too!
Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 01:26 PM
RCB

My ranking for the top 3:

1) ZR
2) Edge
3) Lo Pro Edge
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 02:30 PM

IMHO:

1. Lo-Pro Edge
2. Edge

I just like the lower profile of lo-pro thatīs why itīs my first choice.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 03:57 PM

1. Edge.
101. Lo-Pro
102. Anything else.

~A
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 06:17 PM

I think most people would say the pre-2003 Edge and Lo-Pro trems with the locking posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

ok everyone said somthing diffrent, I want a trem that stays in tune if I go vai with it, and if possible, when I bend a string the rest dont sag(I dont know if there is any thing like that)
also what is a trem setter? and or what other components does vai add to his bar that doesnt come with it? if that makes any sense? sorry
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 09:45 AM
RCB

Most people havent tried the ZR tremolo yet. If you like the S series, and you can afford a Prestige, you will get the most stable and with the spongier feel tremolo you can imagine..... and it comes with a detuner.

You should try before you buy though.

A year ago I would agree with the rest of the people. My choice would ve been the Edge and the Lo Pro, but after trying the ZR, I cant deny that, at least to me, it really is a significant improvement over the Edge and Lo Pro (for the record, I own 6 Edge/Lo Pro quipeed guitars, 3 Floyd Rose guitars, and the ZR equipped S series). I ve owned more than 20 Ibanez (most of them signatures series) all of them equipped with Lo Pro or Edge, except this new S. Im telling this to make clear that I allways loved the Edge and the Lo Pro (I still do), but the ZR is just amazing.

Try a couple of guitars with both tremolo systems before you buy.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 09:51 AM

Im gonna say Lo-Pro, I also prefer the lower profile of it, and I personally think it looks a little bit more "sleek". The Edge is very good as well......but it all comes down to personal taste. And I am a Lo-Pro man myself.
Gary - The.Godfather
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 02:40 AM

Reviews: 34
At the risk of being controversial, I think that schaller FRs stay in tune a little better than the edges.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 03:15 AM

omfg?!!!?

*shoots at nickcoumbe*
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe
At the risk of being controversial, I think that schaller FRs stay in tune a little better than the edges.
The Schaller is a lovely bit of kit, but a bit like rocking horse stuff to get hold of !

edit: hey the forum replaced my word sh*t and put "stuff" in!!

edit - Then you felt the need to go back and change it back again yourself?

jono
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Ok when Vai plays live, and goes insane with his bar, how does he stay in tune so well?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 01:55 PM

Well, get one of the trems that have been mentioned, do a proper setup, stretch your strings, and you'll see
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 02:26 PM

About bending a string and having the other strings go flat.

This does happen with the 2 edge trems.

What about the ZR? i've read that this problem is solved by the ZR, and I know the ZR has some strange spring mechanism in the back which I haven't had a good look at. I've played with it for a few minutes in the store, and it, amazingly, appeared to keep the other strings in tune while a bend was occurring. But my mind is not easy to convince of this miracle..., I'm still skeptical. I need to play with one of these things again.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Vendor

The ZR has 2 springs pulling against the back side of the block to add extra tension to keep unbent strings in tune by limiting the forward travel of the bridge. While it works well it makes the guitar play stiff and I prefer them with those springs removed

Tags
edge trem , edge trems , floyd rose , floyd rose guitar , pro edge , trem setter , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode