What is the best JEM? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

What is the best JEM?

I am saving up to buy my first JEM at the moment. What is the best JEM available?
I really like the JEM7VWH but it is hugely expensive in Scotland.
Is there much quality difference between the Japanese and the Korean JEM's?
If I were going to buy a second hand one what is the best model to go for and what should I expect to pay for one in good condition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 08:01 AM

What is the best JEM?

The only korean jem is the 555, so if your worried about price go for a dbk or even cheaper a dy.

(Edited by Noodles at 7:06 pm on Feb. 15, 2001)
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
What is the best JEM?

IMHO the best JEM ever is the 10th anniverasy model. But I don't think you can go wrong with any JEM, even the 555 - so long as you like the bridge, I personally don't.

SOme of the best s/h bargains are to be found on ebay or in the "readers ads" section here on JEMsite. Ebay often has an JEM7VWH or 2 on it, and often the seller will happily ship to the UK.

If you want to buy new, you may get a better deal buying form Rich Harris than by buying from a shop in the UK, (see the link in the green box at the top of the page) it depends on the exchange rate at the moment.

For a second hand Japanese JEM over here I think you need to expect to pay around 1000 for one in tip top condition possibly more depending on the model - multi-colours and the anniversary models go for far far more.

If you want any more specific info on the UK JEM market gimme an email
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 01:44 PM
site founder 0% owner

What is the best JEM?

along with the good advice above, i prefer buying used JEMs (in good shape) over new ones. In the USA that is easy, especially considering there are only two JEMs available from dealers today (both of which are excellent though!). Used axes have that broken in feel... *and their wear/tear makes you less nervous or hesitant about playing them to death. If you keep that option open, there is absolutely no reason to subject yourself to a 555. I cannot recommend ANYONE buy a 555 ever.

I can't quantify the 'best JEM available' only what is best for your budget, style and most importantly feel. I think if i had in a showroom my choice between EVERY JEMs made, all at the same affordable price, i'd buy the JEM10.

Shopping a guitar such as a JEM can be enjoyable so keep it fun ...glen
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 09:10 PM

Reviews: 2
What is the best JEM?

Stay away from the Korean 555 if you can. Then you can start at the less expensive japanese jem being the 7DBK. I have the DBK and it kicks ass! The breed pickups are killer.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 10:03 PM

What is the best JEM?

I played a 555 in the store and it was a total DOG :shocked: I would rather a decent RG to a 555 anyday. 555's are poorly built with inferior parts by ........ you all know the rest and I do not want to be rude. :sarcasm:
The worst thing Ibanez EVER did was to start producing JEMs in Korea. I think that it really does take some of the stature away from the quality JEMs like the 7VWH. :angry:
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 10:47 PM

Reviews: 5
What is the best JEM?

asking for the best JEM is like asking for the best dessert. *Everyone likes one of them and one thing is sweeter to each person than anything else. *I say try as many as possible and buy the one you like most and can afford.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

What is the best JEM?

I've really got my heart set on a JEM7VWH now, I was down at the Guitar Shop today and I played a 555 (which I have to say was a major disappointment), the new crackly black one (which was OK but I'm not too fond of the screw inlays) and a 7VWH which blew me away. I want one NOW!!! IT looks stunning and is great to play. I need to start saving BIG TIME :biggrin:
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 01:27 AM

What is the best JEM?

I love my 7VWH but the FP is wicked too. *I agree with the try to find a used one method. *I bought a good to very good condition JEM777DY for $450 Canadian (like $300 US) with a UV case. *I didn't need it, but the deal was so good I couldn't pass it up. *The FP I got was refinished, it doesn't look like an FP right now, but the price was right (traded for an RG 7 string I never played) and I use the FP as much as the VWH now.
I can't pick a "best" jem, but I can say, I love all of mine!
Jeremy
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 09:11 AM

Reviews: 5
What is the best JEM?

I will admit that I'm more partial to some JEMs than others. *I LOVE the JEM7VWH, the 10, the HAM90 and the BFP.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 09:34 AM

What is the best JEM?

I've loved all the Jem's I've owned. But I'm partial to my 7PBK. That guitar just feels the best, and rather rare. My VWH is a close second...
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 11:33 AM

What is the best JEM?

My vote goes to the FP, preferably with an edge on it. There's just something about the original edge... Though good condition ones of this age may be a bit harder to find. The combo of pickups, body, finish, and neck (& a dash of nostalga) just feel and sound great to me. I always felt it was the 'quintessential Jem'
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

What is the best JEM?

I've been searching for a while and I have never seen a decent JEM for sale second hand. I have seen a couple of 555's but I would rather stick with my RG.
For some reason I don't think JEM's took of in the UK the way they did in America either that or people love them that much that they won't sell them!
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

What is the best JEM?

Coolstu - There are a couple of 7VWH's advertised second hand in the current issue of "Guitarist" !!!

one at "Rainbow" music tel-01382 201405 and one at EarthMusic tel 020 8549 2200. They DO come up regularly you just have to check the adds on the day the mag comes out. Failing that ring around the bigger shops. You'd be surprised what a few phone calls can turn up!!!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

What is the best JEM?

I'll have to star buying Guitarist again. When they started putting the CD on it and bumped up the price I stopped buying it.
I only buy it once in a blue moon now as they publish the main articles on their website.
Thanks for the advice.

Tags
guitar shop , pickup cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode