What to buy New Jem or old Jem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

What to buy New Jem or old Jem?

Hi, I’m a new member here . I’ve been lurking and reading a lot of the info on this forum. There is a lot of great information here!

So I’ve been wrestling with the idea of purchasing a brand new Jem 7VWH or finding an old 777 VDY Jem. Actually I seem to like quite a few variations of the Jems.

So, before I go posting a WTB ad in the classified for a Jem 777 VDY, I‘m looking for opinions on what the best choice would be.

I would say the main reason I am looking for a 777 VDY is to get the guitar I always wanted as a kid and couldn’t afford back in the day. There’s just something about that yellow color on the Jem that just draws me to it. Plus the neck specs seem attractive to me. The downside is, well trying to find one for sale and the price that some of these have fetched on auction makes my common sense kick in and say “hey, get a new one for that price”. I don’t have a problem paying for quality or something I want, I just want to be sure I’m being wise with my money.

I recently had a bad experience at a local music store that had a brand new white Jem 7Vwh… the Jem itself just didn’t seem right. It was super dusty, there was a ton of string drag on the frets and the action seemed rather high off the neck. Not that it couldn’t be corrected with a twist of a few screws, a new set of strings and maybe some oil for the neck, but something bugged me about the guitar. Plus the guy trying to sell me it was more or less like the slime ball used car sales guy. I’m glad I didn’t buy it. I should have done my homework first, but I found the guy had a F grade with the BBB and many pending complaints.

Ultimately I want to play this guitar. I do studio work and have a decent collection of guitars.

Are they any years of the Jem 7Vwh that seem better then another?

Other then color is there much difference between the Jem 7Vsbl and the 7Vwh?

After seeing some of these incredible custom clones on here, the idea of building a clone of VDY may be another option, especially if the price is close that of a new 7Vwh….uggg so many options to weigh out.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 12:30 AM

Re: What to buy New Jem or old Jem?

I'd recommend an older 7VWH with the ebony board. I've got one from '98 and I love it. You can save yourself a LOT of money if you find a nice used 7vwh instead of buying new at over $2500.

The only differences I think between the 7vsbl and a 7vwh (with rosewood board) are the color and the hardware. The 7vsbl is another great guitar, but harder to come by so if you see one for sale for a decent price then buy it asap. I wanted one for years and finally found a nice one on here last year for a great price and snagged it up instantly.

A VDY is also a very hard guitar to come by without paying out your ass.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

That’s another thing I wrestle with is used verse new on the 7vwh‘s. The used market for the 7Vwh doesn’t seem like that much off. I had a couple in my watch list on a certain auction site and they went for around $1700. There’s quite a few with what I would consider high buy it now prices, and they’ve gone through quite a few listing cycles. So for a few extra bucks I can get one and have the chance to break it in and make dings and dents on my own.

As far as fret board wood goes, I don’t have much of a preference. I have 3 Jackson USA’s that have ebony and they play great. I also have an old Hamer USA Centaura with a rosewood fret board and that feels great too. I’ve got a couple of Les Pauls, one with rosewood an the other ebony. I think cosmetically each has their own appeal. I think the darker wood looks sharp with the white vine inlay. I don’t own a maple neck, but when it comes to Jems, I seem to favor the vine inlays. I’m not against the pyramids, but if I’m going to shell out a lot of cash, I may as well get exactly what I want. I do like the 777 DY, but unless I can find one for a lot less then a used 7Vwh, I’ll probably pass.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 01:20 AM

Click the Ibanez Rules banner at the top. You're certain to get a top notch guitar for a very good price. Do yourself a favor and pay extra for either the Gold or Platinum setup package.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 03:31 AM
Vendor

Current VWH's with the Edge cannot be beat, period. And I just cherry picked 3 out of a stack with boards so black you'd think they were ebony!

If you want a clean VDY you'll have to pay for it. Everybody knows they bring strong $'s and nobody gives away money.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstunner View Post
That’s another thing I wrestle with is used verse new on the 7vwh‘s. The used market for the 7Vwh doesn’t seem like that much off. I had a couple in my watch list on a certain auction site and they went for around $1700. There’s quite a few with what I would consider high buy it now prices, and they’ve gone through quite a few listing cycles. So for a few extra bucks I can get one and have the chance to break it in and make dings and dents on my own.

As far as fret board wood goes, I don’t have much of a preference. I have 3 Jackson USA’s that have ebony and they play great. I also have an old Hamer USA Centaura with a rosewood fret board and that feels great too. I’ve got a couple of Les Pauls, one with rosewood an the other ebony. I think cosmetically each has their own appeal. I think the darker wood looks sharp with the white vine inlay. I don’t own a maple neck, but when it comes to Jems, I seem to favor the vine inlays. I’m not against the pyramids, but if I’m going to shell out a lot of cash, I may as well get exactly what I want. I do like the 777 DY, but unless I can find one for a lot less then a used 7Vwh, I’ll probably pass.
If your budget allows (looks like it from your conversation ;-) ) then a new 7Vwh would be a great option. They have a fanastic reputation for very good reason. Do youself a favour and get Ibanez Rules to quote - you'll get the best price and a setup to die for. I've been there twice now and don't think this will be my last...
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 05:15 AM

+1 Buy one from Rich you will be happy you did.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 06:45 AM

Reviews: 3

I have both guitars!

_ 777V DY: a classy 80's guitar, loved or hated but for sure a great axe. I do love the colour scheme and the thin wizard neck, THE BEST NECK EVER to my taste but it has the old style heel neck joint. The tone of this guitar is, as I use to say, woody and hard-rocking being the wood basswood and the p'u PAF-PRO. Perfect to plug direct to and old JCM 800-900 head to play some hair metal riffing and wild crazy solos.

_ 7V WH: a nice color scheme to me althought it is too Vai-ish; the neck is wider but very comfortable once you are get used to. It has the superb all-access neck joint.The ebony fretboard is smooth and a pleasure to play on. The sound of the evo' s is amazing and will work better on your rack systems. I have a ´98 and it is a great guitar, but legend says the first series were better (´93-´94), but they had glossy finish on the back of the neck and they are very difficult to find. There were some issues during some years with the trem posts, being wider in all the trem-equipped ibanez guitars during '99-'01 I think, but nothing serious and easily remediable. You can see above mentioned Rich's website to read more info about that. In the ´01 the scalloping procedure were perfectioned, resulting in much brighter inlays in the last frets. So, if the '02 batches have better scallop, inlays and no trem-post issues, maybe it is a great year to look for perfect 7V WH's in my opinion. I have played the new versions with rosewood and edge-pro and to me, they can´t compare to the older version in terms of sound and playability. Anyways I had not played the 2010 version with the edge trem systems. So, I suggest you to avoid the 2003-2009 ones and give a try to the 2010-2011 version.

To sum up: both great guitars; I find myself playing more the 7V WH because the sound is unbeatable, but the 777V DY is great for classy rock.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Current VWH's with the Edge cannot be beat, period. And I just cherry picked 3 out of a stack with boards so black you'd think they were ebony!
OP, buy one of these guitars. You will NOT be disappointed.

You're going to pay around the same amount for a nice VDY. Good ones have been fetching well north of $2000 recently and you're kind of getting a wildcard. With a new VWH with an Edge, you know exactly what you're getting.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 11:25 AM

Reviews: 11

Now another thing is that the Vdy will retain it's value better than a vwh. I believe that in terms of playability, Vdy wins. I have owned both as well, and while they both look AMAZING (I love all jems) the neck kn the Vdy is nuts, so fast. By the same token, it has a standard neck joint. Aanj is just better IMO. So if your going to be in the upper register, go aanj with the vwh. Or if you can handle the block go Vdy!
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, this information has been a big help.

VY100... That was great comparison. Which almost makes my decision that much harder to make. LOL I have two amps I use. My main amp is an old Metaltronix M-1000 head run through a custom made Earcandy Buzzbomb. My other amp that lately I seem to be playing more, is the 50 watt version of the Marshall JCM 900 through a Marshal 1936 2X12 cab. Both ideal amps for that 80’s-ish rock tone… which I love!

As far as the neck “blocks” go… I’ve got two Jackson Kellys and two Les Pauls. Those aren’t all that friendly for nailing the highest frets… I’m sure any Jem will be much more top fret friendly then those things!

I have previously contacted Rich and will not hesitate to buy from him. He has quoted me great prices and obviously has a fantastic rep within this community.

I think what causes this mental wrestling match is the fact that I can afford a higher price. However, I work very hard for my money and as Rich says nobody likes to give money away either. I’m not looking to lowball anyone, nor do I want to highly overpay for something either. Especially if it’s a “wild card” older used Jem.

As far as “value”, I like the idea that the VDY is more of a “collectors” guitar, but the reality of my situation is, I have yet to get rid of any guitar I’ve ever owned. I got my first guitar in 1985. LOL I think the idea of “resale” value would be more for my wife and daughter.

So, the battle rages on between common sense and my obsessive desire to get the guitar I wanted as a kid.

It’s like standing in front of the ice cream section at the supermarket when you’re hungry. There’s a ton of options, all of them have pro’s and cons… and no matter what you get, you’ll most likely be happy…after all it’s ice cream! …at least with a Jem you don’t have to spend extra time on the treadmill!

Does anyone else wrestle with decisions like this?
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Buy both. Problem solved!
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Reviews: 11

I battle all the time between different Jems..I'll put a wtb thread up then find another...
It's called gas, and when your caught between 2 guitars...I would really get both. You can find a good jemvwh for a low price on craigslist easily. Then find yourself a vdy, I know people who are selling theirs. You'll be happiest with both.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 05:00 AM

Reviews: 3

I have several jems (7vwh, 777vdy, 7bsb, 7dbk, 90th ham, uv7pwh) and by far my favorite is the 7vwh. Alder with evos has something unique to its sound that catches my ear. Anyways, any jem sounds amazing. Close to the 7vwh in the ranking are both 777vdy and uv7pwh. The sound of those axes reminds me the Passion an Warfare/Slip of the Tongue sound.

I plug my guitars into a tubescreamer, direct to the JCM900 and adding reverb/delay effects on the loop, then to a bbe sonic maximizer which goes right to the power amp section. When I´m using the 7vwh the sound is similar to the Sex and Religion sound (think of Rescue me or Bury me solo section) and when using the 777vdy reminds me the P&W sound (think of Animal central solo section).

Last edited by vy100; 07-04-2011 at 06:23 AM.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 AM

Doesn't the 777VDY have a Wizard neck? Just throwing that out there since the OP mentioned neck specs. If so, the 777VDY won't have the same neck as other Jems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode