What changes would I find buying a Jem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

What changes would I find buying a Jem?

I own a Ibanez RG507 with some updates:

- SD JB on bridge
- SD 59 on neck
- SD Vintage rails single
- Push/Pull tone knob - Humbuckers to singles
- Sperzel tunners

I am considering to buy a Jem (Jem 7VSBL) but frankly speaking I do not know what can it really give me comparing to my RG.

On the other hand, Anyone who tried commented SD pups can make a little comparation between them and the evolutions?

Any comment at respect would be very appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 06:13 PM

My guess is that you'll find the Evo's to lack a bit of bottom end and screamish highs. You can generate some Vaiish tone ofcourse...but nothing really better than what you have now...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 06:18 PM

Can you post a Picture of that guitar..i haven´t seen a RG507 before.

and regards your question, i don´t think you can get a "Big Diference" play and sound wise..althoug the Jem has a Jem neck, something similar to the WizardII neck..and, i pressume, you have the wizard one, very thing and flat.

I have BSB and a RG550 with a TZ..and i like the TZ more thath the Evolution bridge..but the evolution neck is a very good one..

i haven´t test any SD, but i heard that the JB is similar to TZ..anybody can verify this?..

but you will get SOMETHING...being the PROUD OWNER OF A JEM

cheers
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. It's more or less what I thought.

Regarding my guitar..... If I send you a pic you'll have no idea about what the hell an RG507 is because nearly everything has been replaced. Just the bridge and the neck remains original. It used to be black but now it's "natural wood". I replaced the knobs, pups, tunners....

The RG507 It's from 1999 and the main specs are Basswood body, Wizard II & Edge bridge. No pickguard.

Cheers!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 12:20 AM

Sorry if i miss something but, IMHO if you have an EDGE you just don't need Sperzels...
Tubarão.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Yes... I understand what you mean but I am an strange guy.

I do not use the locking parts on the neck. I lock directly with the Sperzel. It's useful for me because this way I tune with the tunners without an allen etc.... I might be the only guy on earth doing this..... probably.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufes
because this way I tune with the tunners without an allen
I just tune the thing and well: BLOCKED w/ allen.
If you change the tunning of 1 string, you just need to retunning the whole thing again! Anyway,
Tubarão.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 04:26 AM

Reviews: 34
I have a custom strat with a schaller FR and no locking nut, just spertzels. It is probably the best guitar have, particularly great tuning stability. As good if not better than the Edge/locking nut combo I am used to.

back to topic.

I have played a few jems and rgs over the years. While the 5xx rg are usually great, the jems do have something special. More solid imho, everything just feels tighter, better fitting. Maybe that's just a guitar envy thing, as I don't own one and would dearly love to.

Saying that I did play a new FP a year or so ago that was not setup v. well. It did not impress me. I still liked the quality, but if I hadn't tried a few jems before, and knew how good they could be, then I would have been put off. You should definately try one that has had a pro setup.

Tags
basswood body , edge bridge , evolution bridge , evolution neck , jem neck , locking nut , pull tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode