What is the consensus on the Jem7RB? - Good backup guitar? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
What is the consensus on the Jem7RB? - Good backup guitar?

I don't own a Jem, and have never played one for more than 5 minutes (DBK at guitar center), but how would an old JEM7RB stack up against a USRG-30, say, as a backup, or working, gigging guitar? Because the USRG is in mint condition, and I don't want it to get thrashed and I'm through messing around with cheap guitars. Maybe this is a sacrilege, asking you guys what you think of me using a JEM as a backup for an RG, but it seems like nobody's really impressed with them, anyway. Or, would I be better off trying to find an old DSY? Lemme know what you think. The whole thing is, I'll be shipping off to college, and I don't want my new USRg to grow legs, and disappear...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 09:48 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
What is the consensus on the Jem7RB?

It is a great JEM guitar. Well built w/ original JEM neck and looks that are not offensive. If you want an older JEM you can't go wrong with the RB.

I don't understand not playing the USRG30, since it is by no means a collectable and more affordable (cheaper than a RB) in the used market today. That said the RB will have a slightly different tone as it has different bridge pickup and body wood. The RB will also be missing the AANJ if that matters. Good luck... glen
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 12:54 PM

I once owned an RB and really loved it. *It played different than any other Jem I owned. *I kick myself for getting rid of it.

My answer to your question is YES. *The RB would not only make a great backup guitar, but an excellent main axe as well.

I recommend this over the DSY. *Sure - it's not as flashy, but it will do what you need it to do and at a decent price. *Not too many of them floating around... grab 'em while you can!!

Gabe
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 07:16 PM

I used to have on *as well. I really loved the looks of it. However, the neck was a bit "clubbier" than the DY and other Jems. May have just been my particular axe .

I would still recommend it for your main axe though and thus, yes would be good for your backup. Very nice indeed. There was a Jem7RB floating around awhile back with a Jem7PBK neck that would be really ideal..... who knows where it went though.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 08:03 PM

Cool Guitar!!! Gabe
Had one
Earlier, but he got rid of it for the
Cash.
Kevan never had oneÖ

Eventually, you might
Buy one Ė maybe off an
Auction site Ė Iíve seen a few of them lately. *Have
You?

Nice Guitars, those RBís. *I wish I could
Own one, but I just donít know
When Iíll have the money.

Maybe when my job at writing secret messages starts paying off Iíll have some.
~kenny
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 08:31 PM

Mark me down as another who owned a RB, got rid of it, and has missed it ever since. Very nice Jem. Good for any type of guitar, backup or main...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 05:45 PM

That RB with a pyramid neck is sat on my knee right now...let me tell ya, it makes one hell of a difference to the guitar, both in looks and playability. I offered it up for trade around a year ago, but now I dont think I will ever get rid of it. Its not my main gigging guitar, as I'm a bit pushed for space in my car, so I have a tiny little steinberger...but I would say it has done maybe ... mmm ... 500 gigs or so and, apart from the usual dings and stuff, still plays and sounds fantastic.

It also now sports Steves signature on the front....and Mike Keneallys signature on the back of the headstock. I think Steve was a bit surprised when he saw this old thing to sign....there were certainly eyebrows raised. If anyone wants any pictures of it, drop me a line and I will see if i can rustle some up.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2001, 12:03 AM

Yo, how about those pics, im getting a RB very soon, just curios to se yours..

Tags
bridge pickup , jem neck , mike keneally , pbk neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode