what do I trade a 777VBK for? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

what do I trade a 777VBK for?

I have a thread in the sales section to trade off my 777VBK but im so stumped as to what I should change to! I keep getting offers for RG550 trades. They seem to be the 87 models,I heard these were rare yet im on my third offer for one! Anyways I'd love a 3120 or something but the odds of getting one are probably pretty low. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:21 PM

Re: what do I trade a 777VBK for?

Trade it for cash, then get whatever you want
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:37 PM

Well, there you go! That's your best move.

Seriously, is the 777 lacking something or are you just bored with it? If it's lacking sound but you love the feel swap out the pickups and keep it. If you don't like the feel then don't get another RG, they are all pretty similar in overall feel. You should be able to sell it striaght up and get a 3120 (a step down in my opinion) without too much effort. And you are likely getting offers of the reissue 550s, not the old ones. Those are nice, but I'd play one first in case you don't like it as much as your Jem.
Have you ever played a Jackson Soloist? Similar again, but neck through.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Banned

Bear in mind the condition - it's had a VERY bad neck break which went right through the fretboard. This makes it quite unatractive for buyers/traders. You will have to aim a little/a lot lower than you would with a regular 777VBK.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Vendor

I see no signs it went through the fretboard.
Rich is online  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 12:59 AM

I'd love to get my hands on a VBK to match my UV7BK. How bad is the damage?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Well I fixed it yesterday thank god.it was buzzing like hell but that seems to have gone now but the action isn't as sexy as it was.I don't want to mess around with it anymore.The crack was repaired and anyone who knows how to mess around with a trussrod or who is confident to level the frets would do well.I was only asking 700 euro which is piss cheap to be fair.Rich says he has an FP neck,so i might just gather the funds and get that then do up the headstock to match.But I just got taken back by the prestige thread on here.Some really wonderful looking guitars! I was playing on a "friends" RG(the guy who broke the neck in the first place) it was deep red with a flame top,floyd rose and a white trim going up both sides of the neck.also it was a neck thru.anyone know what it might be or how much it might cost? it was really nice to play and felt more like my old jackson!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 09:23 AM

Would I be right in saying that the crack went into the fretboard? It looks like it does from the photos.

If it were just a nasty nut crack I could deal with that, but if it was into the fretboard I don't think I'd have the right expertise to mess with it. I'm good, but not that good
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

yeah it went in around 1.5mm and along a whole fret. its fixed now anyway,thankfully it was a neat break.im still gonna change the neck.the action i had initially was around 0.5mm the whole way so i'll get that again with the fp neck if no one wants it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 09:35 AM

I hope you give your 'mate' a good slapping
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 10:14 AM

If you're close to Dublin, why don't you just drop the 777VBK in to Derrick Nelson? He'll do whatever it takes to get the guitar back to 100%, and probably for cheaper than a replacement neck..
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

hhmmm do you have any contact info for him?? a number or website or something?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 11:12 AM

Google 'Danvel Instruments' and you'll find his contact details, his workshop is in Marlay Park.

The fact that you're trying to sell the guitar makes it pretty obvious to buyers that you're not 100% happy with your repair job - so you're going to take a BIG hit if you try and sell it.

Derrick isnt cheap, and has a loooong waiting list, but will get the guitar back to 100%, fret level it, and have it playing better than before the accident. He's about the only luthier I can recommend in the country.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

hhmmmm ok cool! thanks a lot dude! i reckon i get it fixed up then I'll sell it to get maximum value!Thanks again!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 11:52 AM

That's a good idea. An FP neck with the headstock painted black to match the VBK would look nice actually. If you do that, keep us posted with how you do it.

Tags
floyd rose , fret level , jackson soloist , neck thru

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to trade on harmony central
what to trade amp for strat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode