What do you feel when someone despizes Japanese guitars ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

What do you feel when someone despizes Japanese guitars ?

...saying American guitars (specially Gibson, Fender and Jackson) are much better, ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 10:27 AM

I'd say they spent too much time browsing Ed Roman's site.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemB
I'd say they spent too much time browsing Ed Roman's site.
Great ! Nice idea !
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 10:44 AM

It doesn't bother me one bit. We live in a world economy... if you choose to be isolationist and buy products only from your home country, then that's your choice.

The same thinking can be applied to just about any consumer products. How many people in the USA refuse to drive anything but American cars? Or only drink American beer?

The USA (and Canada, for that matter) haven't been leaders in manufacturing for probably close to 30 years. Japan, Korea and Taiwan have been doing it better and cheaper for a long time now. In my opinion, very few products made here are a good value, with quality design, materials and construction at a reasonable price. There are exceptions, of course, but that seems to be the trend since the early 1970s.

Fender/Jackson, PRS, Gibson, etc. all make good guitars, but they're priced way beyond the mainstream for the most part. Ibanez makes guitars that have historically been very good value, but even the Japanese are getting priced out of the midrange market for manufacturing, and most of the Japanese-made goods are reaching premium pricing.

Korea is the new Japan when it comes to most midrange manufactured goods. They're making some excellent cars, electronics and musical instruments, comparable to what the Japanese were doing in the early '80s.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 10:46 AM

This is similar to a thread in the 'artist' bit about Stevie V......people that are narrow minded enough to come out with such crap aren't worth my time......'I won't dignify such ignorance with a response'......

My dad has played guitar for god knows how many years and being from the Hendrix/ Page / Claptout era.....he has pretty much stuck with Gibson / Fender and 'cause of EVH...he got a Music Man. So I start playing guitar and (at the time) had Charvels, ESP's, Ibanez and every time he played one of them....he loved it.

He borrowed my BFP and said it was the best guitar he had ever played. From a player like my dad (who used to play with Ozzy in pre-Sabbath days in Birmingham) and can play pretty much anything.....that's good enough for me.

What's next for people like this? ''I'm sorry Mr Alien, I know you think that the guitars on your planet are good - but I will only touch guitars made on earth'........It really is that pathetic.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 10:58 AM
dex

Re: What do you feel when someone despizes Japanese guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dragon
...saying American guitars (specially Gibson, Fender and Jackson) are much better, ...
I'm not 100% sure if that is true but I have heard that the reason 7ender pulled the plug on their Japanese line was because they were so good, most people would prefer them to the USA line.

Also spending too much time on the ER site is not healty.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 10:59 AM
deleted username

I'm with ya, Markie.

If they want to sit there and bash all day long, I've got toenails to clip.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:16 AM

Kevan - That's weird......I was just cutting mine (seriously!)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 01:09 PM
EKG

What do I feel?

Really don't give a sh*t, quite honestly.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 02:44 PM

In my opinion the only thing between a well made Japanese guitar and a well made American guitar is a couple thousand miles.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 03:22 PM

I think the the whole thing with people saying buy usa because it is better is B.S..You got to understand that the people who are saying this stuff are close minded racists. I think it has nothing to do with where a product comes from. People lik E.R. who say japan guitars are crap are complete idiots. Lets look at cars for a example.When I was a kid I had a ford tempo whisch is a usa car and it died after 76,000 miles. My next car was a honda civic which never died and i had the thing up to 189,000 miles and had to sell it. That just proves that some usa products are great and some japan products are great to.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 04:14 PM

Best thing to do is have them put their dinero where they put their dinner...

Challenge them to a blindfold test. Get a couple of american made guitars, a couple of japanese guitars, put them in their hands and let them play blindfolded - no cheating and feeling for pointiness.

we'll see which one they like to play better when they can't see the logo.

~K
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 12:01 AM

It's funny because today at the shop we were talking about this same thing kinda... A guy brought in 3 Fender Strats, and the two Japanese ones actually set up better than the USA one...all three were new, and just needed setups, but the neck was really tweaking on the US one. All three were strung with 11's...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:43 AM

I think all are overpriced, but american guitars are evn more. I know 2 or 3 guys that can make you a completely hand made guitar (notr buying a previous made body, they cut it) for less than a LP Standard!!! price. Soon will have one...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 12:56 PM

I think its all a matter of opinion in honesty. Ive played good and bad from both areas.

Tags
fender strat , fender strats , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode