What does everyone think about this True Temperment necks that Vai talks about - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 09:26 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: What does everyone think about this True Temperment necks that Vai talks about

Some inventors just have to much time on their hands. Of course it might work better than a standard job but that is just ridicules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 01:23 AM

Re: What does everyone think about this True Temperment necks that Vai talks about

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Bah. The imperfections of guitars make them what they are. Who really cares if everything is dead nuts on perfect. The majority of the listening people wont notice anyway.

If Vai does this, then will all Jems come with it. I was always under the impression the Jem was made so Steve could take anyone off the wall at a store and it would be exacly what he uses.
Jems don't come with leds, sustainers, tape, backstops, or 1 piece necks so I don't think we have to worry about this

Its an interesting concept, I probably wouldn't put it on my guitar but its still interesting. I would imagine it works even better than earvana or buzz feiten since every fret is individually tempered for perfect tuning. A compensated nut may make some better, but it can't make every single fret perfect
post #18 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 03:54 AM

I think the imperfections of a guitar and how one works around them is part of the sound.
post #19 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 04:05 AM

Seems like bending would be weird, but watching the vid on the site, I guess not...

now this is screwy and I really can't see bending at all on this..

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 07-29-2007 at 04:11 AM.
post #20 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 05:03 AM

Yeah, if he puts this on his axes, what will Ibanez do?
post #21 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGuitar View Post
Yeah, if he puts this on his axes, what will Ibanez do?
Nothing. Ibanez can't be expected to keep up with every one of his modifications. And why would he put them on all of his guitars? The point of the guitar's temperament is that it can play all keys decently well. The true temperament necks are designed to play a few keys perfectly, while the rest will sound out of tune. He'd be unable to play 80% of his songs if he replaced all of his necks.
post #22 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 08:48 AM

Reviews: 16

I'm with Dee, who needs this crap. So what if each string is a fraction of a cent off. Nobody can hear that...especially when the guitar is being played.
post #23 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarzan088 View Post
I think using an Earvana nut would be much simpler and cleaner looking,

https://www.earvana.com/

That just looks disgusting to me.
can I put that in a fender and swap it back to original if I ever sell it?
post #24 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 09:30 AM

Personally, I think this is a load of crap. Yeah, ...we've all been noticing how turned off we've been when everyone plays those sour notes that sound like crap because guitars don't hit the notes perfectly. I mean, every song for every musician that is played on the radio just pisses me off because it doesn't sound perfect. Give me a break. It generally takes someone who does studio work to even hear it, and not even all of them hear it. Somebody needs a good dose of practicality here. I especially hate listening to all those old classic rock songs that came out before the digital recording age and the technological revolution of the studio because they had those sour notes in there that piss everyone off. PUHLEEEZE. Okay, no more soap box preaching, LOL. This is just going way to far and makes me sick.
post #25 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post

I'm with Dee, who needs this crap. So what if each string is a fraction of a cent off. Nobody can hear that...especially when the guitar is being played.
I can hear it, that is why I want a compensating nut but this fret thing is retarded, they took it too far
post #26 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 09:38 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Seems like bending would be weird, but watching the vid on the site, I guess not...

now this is screwy and I really can't see bending at all on this..

Hey is it just me or is there 24 frets on that strat type thing.
post #27 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike239 View Post
Hey is it just me or is there 24 frets on that strat type thing.
I count 22
post #28 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 09:42 AM

Are you just going from the dots or did you actually count up every fret.
post #29 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike239 View Post
Are you just going from the dots or did you actually count up every fret.
oh you are right, but if the dots are in the right place then wouldnt the 24th fret sound like the 22nd?
post #30 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 09:51 AM

Yeah, thats not right what they're doing wouldn't that put your intonation out then with the smaller frets, then the larger frets and there being 24 instead of 22?
man that would be a PITA to play

Tags
billy sheehan , buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , charvel evh , charvel evh art , charvel evh art series , chord progression , double neck , edge pro trem , electric guitar , eric johnson , evh art series , fanned fret , fanned frets , feiten system , floating trems , floyd rose , fret guitar , guitar players , guitar tech , les paul , monkey grip , picking technique , production model , signature guitar , standard neck , steve vai , strobe tuner , super strat , true temperment necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in