What does everyone think about this True Temperment necks that Vai talks about - Page 6 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 06:32 PM

Re: What does everyone think about this True Temperment necks that Vai talks about

I'm abit late on commenting on this but like other people have said who needs it? If Vai is using it ,it's just further proof his anal quest for perfection is getting in the way of him writing anything decent ever again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 06:46 PM

Re: What does everyone think about this True Temperment necks that Vai talks about

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdubious View Post
I'm abit late on commenting on this but like other people have said who needs it? If Vai is using it ,it's just further proof his anal quest for perfection is getting in the way of him writing anything decent ever again
? I think his new stuff is good too??
post #78 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
? I think his new stuff is good too??
I'm still living in the eighties!I gave up with Steve after his last album
post #79 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdubious View Post
I'm still living in the eighties!I gave up with Steve after his last album
sucks for you We now have things called cell phones and highspeed internet and still good Vai music
post #80 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 01:46 PM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkyHauler View Post
in this month's Guitar One. I did several double-takes looking at the pics, but on the CD in this months GO Vai says he will be fitting all of his guitars with this system. Here is the link:

http://www.truetemperament.com/main.php?go=23&lan=1
This is like an endorsing game for Steve.
It was Fretwave first, then Buz Feiten and now this... blaaa

I've said this before but I'll say it again.

If you consider that picking and fretting will make individual people sound couple of cents off esp with 9s (which is what 90% of all super strat dudes play), then consider that these guitars have floating trems installed - you are always going to push a floater with 9s a few cents off just by strumming and not to mention that 9/10 times these guitars will be played with some sort of gain/distortion engaged - I'm not sure who would be able to hear the benefits of this thing.
I'm all for Earvana or Buzz Feiten or FretWave (well I'm not but I won't think you are stupid if you had it and boasted about it) if it was on a Taylor 914 or on a Martin 00028 strung with 13s and you were mainly playing an acoustic set but on an electric double locker strung up with 9s - I'm affraid is just a gimmick.
post #81 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:26 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

he seems to have alot of brief flings with new inventions & gear.

if it's is truly important it should be on ANY NEW signature model in HIS name.

period.

.... glen
post #82 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 04:16 PM

I don't care if Steve thinks it is sliced bread, if they put this on all JEMs, then I've bought my last JEM. I think the powers that be know that, too. It would be suicide to the line.

exclamation point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
he seems to have alot of brief flings with new inventions & gear.

if it's is truly important it should be on ANY NEW signature model in HIS name.

period.

.... glen
post #83 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trynyty View Post
I don't care if Steve thinks it is sliced bread, if they put this on all JEMs, then I've bought my last JEM. I think the powers that be know that, too. It would be suicide to the line.

exclamation point.
uh I don't think ibanez would put them on, only steve would have them, like the sustainer, led's, blah blah
post #84 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 01:47 PM

I think it's a very novel idea. I'm extremely anal about intonation on a guitar, and when I heard about this, I was excited. If I could afford it, I'd totally have a guitar sent off to Sweden to have this done to it. I'm always looking for something new in the guitar.
post #85 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 01:01 AM

If anyone cares about intonation that much, why would you just get a fretless neck? Sorry, maybe I'm not seeing the point here (and the sustain and imperfection of flesh vs. steel fret) but theoretically wouldn't a fretless neck add more freedom than this system?
post #86 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.P.R.O. View Post
If anyone cares about intonation that much, why would you just get a fretless neck? Sorry, maybe I'm not seeing the point here (and the sustain and imperfection of flesh vs. steel fret) but theoretically wouldn't a fretless neck add more freedom than this system?
thats what i have my upright bass for, rofl. I think you have a point but I also see the point in this since I also play fretless. Vai wants something perfect but not like fretless where you have to find the perfect note, it is already fretted
post #87 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 04:51 AM

I tried this necks (there are more than one model) this week. And it makes a difference. Whether or not it would be needed for a live situation, well, that's pretty much up to you. But I think it would be good for recordings. If you only play the same pentatonic scale in each song, you wouldn't bother. Some play more complex music, tonally speaking, then it's nice if everything is in tune and you actually can add other instruments over the guitar.

You can get it on any neck. And the frets are casted so refrets are possible.

I could feel a difference playing it, nothing strange at all. (The 24 fret strat is his personal guitar, that's why it's so strange.) I think it would be nice to have on at least one guitar.
post #88 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.P.R.O. View Post
I've seen him play fretless, but not in what you'd call typical rock guitar fashion. As someone already pointed out, he just wants a better intonated version of a traditional fretted instrument. Whether or not he keeps it on there, who knows. But I think it's cool that he's willing to try new stuff out to take his music in new directions. What's the harm?
post #89 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:17 AM

I agree it looks funky, and a refret would be a nightmare & costly.

However I have struggled with the pitch of my guitars for years, set up and intonated, yet the pitch drives me crazy, never sounds in-tune, many years I thought it was my guitars had problems, then thought my ears had problems, techs would not hear what I was hearing, fellow musicians didn't either. Then a little while back a professional musician handed me a book called, "TEMPERAMENT" by STUART ISACOFF, and explained my ears were telling me the truth that the guitar is not in-tune with itself. (What a relief! Realized I wasn't crazy after all )

So more power to Steve for exploring this concept, raise the bar in the right direction, I would buy one and more than likely not play standard guitars any longer.

Oh dear! That would be a bummer, the "Mystery PMC" would sit in a case like those collector dudes, yickess, thats a scary boring thought.
post #90 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:59 AM

Eric Johnson seems to get on ok with standard frets and better tuning methods.

Tags
billy sheehan , buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , charvel evh , charvel evh art , charvel evh art series , chord progression , double neck , edge pro trem , electric guitar , eric johnson , evh art series , fanned fret , fanned frets , feiten system , floating trems , floyd rose , fret guitar , guitar players , guitar tech , les paul , monkey grip , picking technique , production model , signature guitar , standard neck , steve vai , strobe tuner , super strat , true temperment necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode