What draws you to JS guitars the most? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

What draws you to JS guitars the most?

Well...Im curious...What makes you like JS guitars over anything else?
My reason for asking is, Im really torn between JEMs and JS's and im shooting for playable trems...And the compound radius sounds like it makes the JS a very playable guitar...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 02:18 AM

reason differs from person to person but here's my take as to why i absolutely love them

1) Neck - the compound radius is perfect for me, i am pretty much torn between a flatter 430mm radius and a rounder radius on Strat necks so the JS neck gives me the best of both worlds, which imo, is a vast difference! Also, the JS neck has just the right amount of chunk for me, just can't stand necks which are too thin or too thick

2) Body - it looks so sexy and comfortable and it's resonably lightweight compared to other thicker bodies, which makes it a joy to play for long periods of time

3) Trem - the Ibanez Edge trems are THE best out there, no doubt about it, the only bridges that can compare are the Parker ones and the EBMM Petrucci bridge but neither of those will give you what a real "Floyd" can can't really call this to the JS' advantage since I am assuming you're refering to the higher end JS and JEMs which both have the Edge.

4) Versatile tone - the coil taps and pickups contribute alot to the wide range of tones possible

5) Satch plays them
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 03:31 AM

For me, it's definitely the body. I can't find any other guitar shape with more comfortable dimensions and sexier curves. It's perfect for me!
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 07:33 AM

Most

comfortable

body

EVER!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 08:08 AM

I wonder if any luthier or custom shop can make a replica of my beloved JS body with all the features I miss. That is, a nice flame top with a translucent finish. I'd add a full-maple 22-fret neck.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Most

comfortable

body

EVER!
Me too! Also, the Edge trem.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 08:41 AM

The comfort of the body. You can't get it anywhere else. Every other feature can also be found (or even improved upon) elsewhere, IMO. But that body shape - damn.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 09:27 AM

Yeah, hardware, wood, electronics... all that stuff can be changed. I've loved the Radius/JS body since i first held one. I think it could be as much of a flagship model as the RG series if Ibanez offered it with more options. But the RG is probably much cheaper to make in volume.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 11:10 AM

It is a very sexy piece of wood or luthite whichever you taste....

jim
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 11:18 AM

The feel, the tone, the look...I love it all! I've got JS models in luthite, acrylic and mahogany, and each one is a treat to play and hear. Just a very well-balanced, versatile guitar.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 05:20 PM

To be honest i play Js guitars because satch does. And i am a huge satch fan.
But after reading all the posts in this thread, i give the same reasons:
Sexy curves, like Joe, i want a guitar body with smooth curves and no sharp edges......the Js body is very comfy.
tone tone tone
multiR neck AND the fact that the headstock is not angled (i can't stand angled headstocks)
Push/pull knobs.....and high pass filter....allows for more variety of tones.
Edge trems: can't beat em
As for finishes, you got the Donnies, rainforests, rainbows, snakes, chromies, etc...... they are just too hard to turn down
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 05:31 PM
Vendor

Somebody should say it like it is -

THE most sensuously shaped and most perfectly balanced body that's ever worn strings. Great neck, I too hate scarf joint/tilt backs. Tone tone tone, and yea, that fact Joe wields one doesn't hurt
Rich is online  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 05:33 PM
EKG

AH - I've been waiting for Rich's response.

I originally liked them simply for the shape...beautiful!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

I used to be in love with the JS1000WH...Now that the JS1000BK is all u can get...Its sorda turned me away cuz, the picture on ibanez's site and musicans friend's site sucks. Judging from that one picture on Rich's site...The black looks better in person...

The reason I ask here instead of going out and playing a JS1000 myself...is Guitar Center here is a bitch and is about 50 miles away and they wont even let me play a JEM or JS...I'm 14 and they look at me like I am a insain little kid? Im like wwweelll thanks alot?

I got to goof off with a old RG3xx something...It was so dirty I couldnt tell how the neck felt...I just spent the whole time playing Music Mans, because they wernt a 100 feet in the air and they couldnt stop me for playing them..
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 08:40 PM

yeah it's a pity they dicontinued the white, it looked very nice indeed. actually the remaining JS1000 comes in BP (Black Pearl) not BK, it looks quite nice in person as it sparkles under different light - go check it out

i dislike stores which tend to look down on you because of your age, after all - there are some pretty amazing young guitarists out there

Tags
body shape , coil tap , custom shop , darren wilson , ebmm petrucci , edge trem , edge trems , fret neck , guitar body , high pass filter , ibanez edge trem , ibanez trem , mesa mark , scarf joint , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode