What the Hell is a Dan O caster JEM - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25
What the Hell is a Dan O caster JEM

Its being sold by Cash convertors which is a fancy name for (pawn shop) in Australia

Can someone please explain this guitar to me and is it worth $4500 AUD ??

http://webshop.cashconverters.com.au...ar/#prodimages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Re: What the Hell is a Dan O caster JEM

I'm pretty sure it is as fake as the fakiest of chinese fakes.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Ibanez, the LA Custom Shop or any proper Jem.

Trem, neck and body are all horrible copies of the real deal. Also quite obvious: the rubbish tuners, the poorly cast locking nut, non locking posts etc. And what the hell is sticking out of that headstock? A trussrod?! Not that it would help, as the construction of the neck is wrong by the looks of the grain anyway.

I'd say it's worth about $45 in parts if the Pups are the real deal. But subtract 14500$ from that value for litigation cost after you've received it.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 08:26 AM

i thought at first the thing at the end of the headstock was the goddamn truss rod but it's just a laser...i mean, who puts a truss rod up there...?

the headstock looks better than a lot of other fakes but that bridge gives it away instantly. no locking posts? get real lol.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Ah good point about the laser...so the idiot luthier goes through all the trouble to recreate Steve's portable light show, but messes up basics such as a stable trem, tuners that actually tune or a playable neck.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 09:31 AM

Those are Sperzel locking tuners on what's probably an RG570 neck. The grain you're seeing is the headstock grain, the neck grain is going the proper way - it's an old school neck with the scarf joint. I'd also guess the trem, posts, and locking nut came together as a package. So the guy made a bad choice when he picked out his chrome bridge, but I think going so far as to call the entire thing a fake isn't fair or accurate. Those tuners are definitely not rubbish, they're the same as the ones on my Parker. It's probably just a highly customized '00 (by the s/n) RG.

I'd say it's someone's (probably "Dan's") idea of a custom, and they got one over on the pawn shop when they sold it for more than the sum of the parts.

~d~

Last edited by dcord; 02-23-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Grammar
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord View Post
Those are Sperzel locking tuners on what's probably an RG570 neck.
I think you ment to say Sperzel fakes...so the luthier isn't just an idiot, he has also produced the evidence that he knows nothing about guitars with double locking trems.

Quote:
The grain you're seeing is the headstock grain, the neck grain is going the proper way - it's an old school neck with the scarf joint.
No it's not; all my Jems have scarf joints, I know what they are supposed to look like.
The combination of quartersawn and rock maple produces a very distinct pattern of the grain and this isn't it.
If you'd said RG350 or Gio, you might've had a point (I don't mess with MIK Ibbys)
But I seriously doubt it's an original Ibby neck, as the string tree is mounted crooked.

Don't be fooled by the Fujigen serial number, it's as fake as the rest of the guitar!

Quote:
I'd also guess the trem, posts, and locking nut came together as a package.
I'm sure they all came from the same garbage source.

Quote:
I'd say it's someone's (probably "Dan's") idea of a custom, and they got one over on the pawn shop when they sold it for more than the sum of the parts.
What you are describing is fraud. Don't give them any credit by assuming the neck, tuners or trems parts are anything but fakes.
Also the Custom shop story might've been cooked up by the seller, not necessarily the previous owner or assembler. (luthier is too much credit as well)

btw
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/is...kes-45347.html
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
I think you ment to say Sperzel fakes...so the luthier isn't just an idiot, he has also produced the evidence that he knows nothing about guitars with double locking trems.

No it's not; all my Jems have scarf joints, I know what they are supposed to look like.
The combination of quartersawn and rock maple produces a very distinct pattern of the grain and this isn't it.
If you'd said RG350 or Gio, you might've had a point (I don't mess with MIK Ibbys)
But I seriously doubt it's an original Ibby neck, as the string tree is mounted crooked.

Don't be fooled by the Fujigen serial number, it's as fake as the rest of the guitar!

I'm sure they all came from the same garbage source.

What you are describing is fraud. Don't give them any credit by assuming the neck, tuners or trems parts are anything but fakes.
Also the Custom shop story might've been cooked up by the seller, not necessarily the previous owner or assembler. (luthier is too much credit as well)

btw
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/is...kes-45347.html
Dude, I'm aware of all the ways to spot a fake. But what I'm seeing is a highly customized RG. I also don't think the OP was asking if it was a fake as much as he was asking what the heck it is - a guitar "Dan" had modified to his liking. They're not trying to pass it off as new, like nearly every other fake out there.

Regarding the scarf joint, all three of my Universes and my RG7620 have grain on the back of the headstock that looks like that. I'm sure mine are fakes as well? The scarf joint itself isn't shown in the picture in the listing, except a very small portion of it at the very bottom of the picture.

No, I meant "Sperzels." Putting Sperzels on a locking trem guitar is not all that uncommon. It's pointless, but it does happen.

People make replicas all the time. It's obviously not a $4500 guitar. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I just think it's BS to jump to the conclusion that it's a fake, especially when the neck has dings and other wear indicative of a played, used guitar.

Last edited by dcord; 02-23-2010 at 11:18 AM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 11:49 AM

Reviews: 6

I'm going to have to go with Dcord on this, looks like a hot rodded RG, that someone put alot of time and effort into. The Pawn Store errrrrrrr legit loan sharks, are just trying to pass it off as something it's not.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord
They're not trying to pass it off as new, like nearly every other fake out there.
Not as new, but as real, which is just as bad.
The fact that it is advertised as a custom shop Ibanez Jem makes it a fake.

From their ad:
Quote:
Chrome Steve Vai JEM (mirror top)
Custom store Vai Jem (only other one we can find is owned by Steve Vai)
It's not a Jem BRMR and any implied relation to Vai is imaginary and misleading; this is as bad as any chibanez.

Quote:
The guitar is an Ibanez custom shop copy of the "Bad Horsie" guitar played by Steve Vai
It's not an Ibanez, certainly not (LA) Custom Shop and has no relation to the real "Bad Horsie".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord
Regarding the scarf joint, all three of my Universes and my RG7620 have grain on the back of the headstock that looks like that. I'm sure mine are fakes as well? The scarf joint itself isn't shown in the picture in the listing, except a very small portion of it at the very bottom of the picture.
I've noticed that too on Universes as well as RG7s, but this is not about (your) 7s.
This is advertised as a Jem and this is nothing like the Jem scarf jointed necks I know.
Besides that the BRMR (which this tries to fake) never had a scarf joint to begin with, it had the three piece maple + two slivers of walnut + volute neck.
Steve's own Bad Horsie uses a modified DBK neck (the one with the bubinga stripe) and DBK grain patterns look nothing like this either.

BTW I am not your dude and do not appreciate being addressed as such.

Why are you defending these idiots (builder and seller) their fraudulent guitar and their criminally misleading ad?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 PM

Gentlemen, chill out and do so now. There is no need at all for the heated tone here.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 PM

looks like the stuff Sims UK make, thick mirror top, gotoh floyd, leds, lasers etc
http://www.simscustom.com/html/popup...gallery/15.htm
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:32 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt View Post
looks like the stuff Sims UK make, thick mirror top, gotoh floyd, leds, lasers etc
http://www.simscustom.com/html/popup...gallery/15.htm
Yeah I agree I have seen one very similar to it on their stand at the london guitar show back in 2007, it was body and neck for sale, No hardware or pick ups.
It does not make sense to heavily customise a fake chinese copy. maybe the owner just couldnt wait to build it and got his/ her hands any old hard ware, maybe they lost their job and had to settle for cheap hardware ........ only he or she knows the answer to that.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
Not as new, but as real, which is just as bad.
The fact that it is advertised as a custom shop Ibanez Jem makes it a fake.
I agree that the ad is misleading. However, in order to be fraudulent there has to be in intent to mislead, and I don't necessarily think it's there. I believe the pawn shop is selling it for what it thinks it is. Again, still doesn't make it right.

Quote:
It's not a Jem BRMR and any implied relation to Vai is imaginary and misleading; this is as bad as any chibanez.

It's not an Ibanez, certainly not (LA) Custom Shop and has no relation to the real "Bad Horsie".
I'm quite certain that it started life as an Ibanez, though certainly not from the custom shop. And this is in no way as bad as a Chibanez. This guitar most likely wasn't built to mislead, it was (probably) built as someone's dream guitar that they (probably) had to sell. The fact that the pawn shop is confused about what it is is no way worse than a pawn shop trying to sell a 555 as a 777. They've misidentified it. What's different, to me, is the intent. Those guys selling Chibanez fakes are flat out trying to rip people off.

Quote:
I've noticed that too on Universes as well as RG7s, but this is not about (your) 7s.
This is advertised as a Jem and this is nothing like the Jem scarf jointed necks I know.
Besides that the BRMR (which this tries to fake) never had a scarf joint to begin with, it had the three piece maple + two slivers of walnut + volute neck.
Steve's own Bad Horsie uses a modified DBK neck (the one with the bubinga stripe) and DBK grain patterns look nothing like this either.
Again, it's (probably) someone's modified RG, not an exact replica. This is no different from ten years ago when everyone on Jemsite was stripping their RGs and swirling them. Some people even got pyramid or vine inlays in their RG necks and had "JEM" painted on them. They weren't out to mislead, but rather to build their own custom guitar.

Quote:
BTW I am not your dude and do not appreciate being addressed as such.
In America, "Dude" is a term implying friendship. I'm sorry if I offended you by thinking we're all friends on Jemsite. Trust me, I won't make that mistake again.

Quote:
Why are you defending these idiots (builder and seller) their fraudulent guitar and their criminally misleading ad?
Because I'm not sure of the criminal intent. As I said before, nearly all of us on this forum, at one time or another have modified a guitar and then sold it. I don't think that makes us all criminals. Further, I don't understand your hostility toward me just because I don't think a customized guitar is a criminal offense.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:02 PM

Maybe it's the new revolutionary 2010 JEM
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's the new revolutionary 2010 JEM
LMFAO!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode