what i found under my nut shim - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy what i found under my nut shim

well as you all know ive have had major problems with my jemvsbl since ive owned it as far as the wowow effect(other posts). i just took the nut off of the guitar and removed the 1.5 gold flaked (brass?) shims off ...
well needless to say i am pretty shocked at what i found....(kinda hard to describe)
ok say if you take the truss rod cover off and have the nut & shims compleatly removed and you can nromally just see the bullett end of the truss rod followed by the rosewood(in this case) header where the nut goes... well the thin peice of fretboard matererial where the 2 holes are for the screws to hold the nut down is cracked/chipped the chip is as wide as the normal truss cavity and goes all the way past and right in the middle of the 2 holes for nut. so basically the truss rod is compleatly exposed under the nut(if i was to put it back on).. in total there is about another inch of trussrod exposed past the end of the bullet head. this definatly could be my problem ... i hope this is coverd in my waranty... also another amusing thing got a 2k2 neck on a 2k3 guitar f02 with an EP lol(I HATE LEFTOVERS!)
any input would be more than appreciated or just a shoulder to cry on.
thx again

jagermestro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 06:31 AM

Re: what i found under my nut shim

Got some pics?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 06:47 AM

Well then yeah, that sounds like your problem alright! Sounds like the tone control thing mentioned in your other thread was masking the problem, not solving it... Damn, send that thing back
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:07 AM

OMG
Send it back!
I really hope this will be sorted out.
This must be covered by the warranty.
I canīt believe how it could have slipped through
control checks etc...shocking.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:12 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

post a picture then prepare to contact your dealer or distributer. your location is missing from your profile ...glen
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Vendor

Doesn't sound like anything abnormal to me, and very doubtful it has anything to do with the noise you hear. You're talking about an area that has between a paper thin piece of wood and business card thin wood and it's usually ripped out or torn to some degree. Why anybody would think this would cause your guitar to go wowowow is beyond me.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

so you have seen this b4 and its really nothing out of the ordinary? rich thats an interesting point, i mean that i was suprised but messing with it some more i realized that if its happening mostly past the 12th fret even if there was something messing up the vibrations by the nut since the wavelengths of the string dont really matter toward the nut for example say ure playing 12th fret any sting the string vibrates from the 12th to the bridge and the problem still occurs and since there really is no string vibration that is going to the nut from the 12th this would have nothing to do with it... this was one of those 4:30 am finds and to tell you the truth sometimes i even think that the paint pimples are doing it(sarcastic).. i think its kinda one of those things that if you want to find problems you will find them with everything and will believe that anything could be casuing it.
thx guys for putting up with my complaining and moaning
jagermeistro
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Vendor

You won't find it on every neck but I'll say it's far from uncommon. And unfortunately I haven't really kept up on what your problem is, just that time of crazy year, but if it's a D/G string phenominom it's most likely sypathetic truss rod related. If it's every string, then I still have no idea what the wowow sounds like and wowow is so subjective it could mean anything. Like when you take your car in for service and tell them you hear a clack clack
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 03:40 AM

Rich did u hear the wowow samples that i posted a while before in the tech section.
i removed them from my website actually but if ur interested JAGERMEISTRO could send them to u. and the wow thing is indeed related to the frequencies produced by the D and G strings and mostly the G string on the 16th...19th fret. and whenever these frequencies are reproduced on other strings in natural harmonics u will hear this wow effect.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Vendor

Nope, didn't hear it. I keep my speakers turned off cause I don't want to hear all those PC sounds all day long, and I have to REALLY want to get up and walk across the room to turn them on.Sounds like it's quite possibly sympathetic truss channel resonance though. I think Frank said he'd fill the truss channel with silicone or something like that. BTW ANYBODY seen or heard from Frank lately??
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 02:28 PM

Mr Falbo? I've not seen him post recently now you mention it ... Am sure he'll raise his head shortly ... Moreover i hope he does ... My old UV had nearly no "cardboard sized wood" beneath the nut but the chipped and repaired UV neck did have ... Absolutely no differance in stability or sound HTH

Rob
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 02:24 PM

I haven't been active lately, my mother in law has early onset Alzheimers at the age of 55 and she's in pretty bad shape already. So I don't get much web time anymore, maybe it'll get better soon when they get an all-day caregiver. Right now there's no one there all day when my father in law is at work.

Silicone is usually used during truss rod installation. Once it's in its too late. But if a rod is really rattling or causing trouble, you can try to get some pure unthinned boiled linseed oil in there. It coats everything and then never dries hard. It stays gummy. So it's almost like adding silicone after the fact. But it's hard to get it in there. It's easier on an Ibanez with the center wood strip missing. You can inject it with a glue injector. A needle won't flow linseed oil. You can also use those injectors you get with printer cartridge refills. You don't need to soak it, just get it so it runs down there. But then you have to leave it for a few days because linseed otherwise some might drip out while you're at your gig. You can also get in there from the heel if you know where to drill the hole.

I've only been back here a couple times in the last several months, and one time the whole site was exploded! If any of you guys have to e-mail me I'll get back to those in due time.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 04:16 PM

weird

Tags
truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode