What JEM? - Steve Vai, 24 fret plaque - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

What JEM? - Steve Vai, 24 fret plaque

This is probably FAQ, but here goes anyway...

While JEM-hunting in London I saw several JEMs having a 24 fret plaque with Steve Vai's name on it it. I've just recently started to understand the differences between the different models so I didn't reflect upon it at the time. I've been looking through the image galleries here, but could not find any JEMs with this plaque.

Can you tell me what model I saw?

/BÝrge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 10:18 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
What JEM?

JEM555. Avoid it at all cost... glen
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 11:06 AM

What JEM?

Well...I wouldn't go quite that far....but yes, what you are talking about is a JEM555....which was a good idea in it's origin...(which was)....a slightly stripped down JEM Model with a more budget oriented price....($700-$800 Brand Spankin' New w/case...don't pay more)....anyhow IMHO....where the idea really faultered was in Ibanez's decision to save some big bucks in production and had the guitar manufactured in Korea....(MAJOR RED FLAG IN THE GUITAR WORLD)....Koreans make nice VCR's but their guitars are lacking!!! *Anyhow....so bottom line here is what you've seen shouldn't be viewed as a leper....but maybe just a step above....compared to a REAL JEM i.e. a 7xx series (whatever) made in Japan....it simply doesn't....but compared to a $200 entry level electric guitar from say Fender, Epiphone, Yamaha, etc. it's not bad....in fact it's quite a bit better than those...of course it cost more than $200....caveat emptor....you get what you paid for....holds true in this case....the JEM555 is NOT nearly as good as a true JEM....we could all sit here and belittle the differences for hours...(which most people seem to LOVE to do)....but don't kid yourself....you didn't find/see a cool JEM at a great price....what you've found is a decent guitar....an entry level version of the JEM which was intended to be a buget version of the JEM and for most JEM enthusists it's like kissing your sister....and I agree....but if you're looking for a pretty good guitar....and on a budget...and someone is offering you a respectable price on one...that you can afford....and you played and liked the guitar....then buy it!!! *
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

What JEM?

Aha, that explains both why they had so many of them and why the price tag was so low (well, 1000GBP isn't exactly low) . *Hmm, bad of me, I should have spotted the different bridge...

I'm surprised that Steve Vai would let them put his name on the budget version of the JEMs. It would have made more sense to me if his name was on the 7VWH.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 04:26 PM

What JEM?

Forgive my ignorance, but does EVH really play a TRS?
I only ask 'cause a pal of mine wants to get a nice looking JS100, and the only thing stopping him is me and a bunch of other people telling him that the TRS is dodgy. I've never played a TRS-I graduated from a very dodgy Floyd II thing on a Korean Hamer, straight to the Lo-Pro(The single most important hardware item on the Jems IMHO), and so I love the Lo-Pro, and appreciate it, but my buddy is a relative beginner-maybe he wouldn't tell the diiference???

In short, for a beginner, is the TRS OK? My pal has £600 to spend.

Thanks for the advice.
Guy
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 05:21 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
What JEM?

To be honest, when Vai played the 555BK in Hicksville, it visibly hindered his playing with the tremolo. Totally apparent, perhaps Rich even saw it. I know Gary and I spoke about it. When he used the tremolo, it seemed to not respond as expected, sometimes with a loss of sustain of the note(s).

But we all know he played that because Ibanez/Vai was offering them as the "giveaway".

Get a Japanese RG at half the cost and teach ibanez (and other manufacturers) a lesson that inferior "signature-models" are NOT welcome. That makes for a *much better* value guitar at a lower cost.. glen
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 05:52 PM
Vendor

What JEM?

It was pretty hard to miss, he seemed tottaly uncomfortable with it. Either he missed it all together because of the positioning, or the 'feel' was throwing him off, but he was NOT at ease. But the trem seemed to be the ONLY drawback with the 555, to Stevie at least. Not like he's not used to the necks :biggrin:
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 08:15 PM

What JEM?

It is amazing how many people are put off the 555 by the TRS. Personally I would rather my RG550 with its EDGE :biggrin: any day to a 555.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 12:11 AM

What JEM?

Kev, the TRS is good for intermediate players? *:silly:

What about the players who like the look (except for that nasty fingerboard) and feel of the Jem, but who don't want to wank away with the whammy bar?

I am a full supporter of the Edge & Lo-Pro Edge, it is, IMHO, the text book example of the Floyd Rose design.

However, to gauge a player's level of proficiency by the bridge he uses is a bit amateurish itself. *

It's ice cream man.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 12:46 AM

What JEM?

Right - I suck with a lo-pro, but would suck even more without it! *It's all about what you're used to - and not having to move back to something of lesser quality.

I 2nd what Kevan said about used - pick up a well used/played but well cared-for high-end axe for the same price you'd pay for something new but of lesser initial quality. *Just having a smooth fingerboard is worth it!

- Chris
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 01:34 AM

What JEM?

I misinterpreted you, or maybe you just came off wrong!

Tags
electric guitar , floyd rose , pro edge , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode