What is the JS2PRM Phase Switch? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

What is the JS2PRM Phase Switch?

What is it actually do for the sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Contributor

Re: What is the JS2PRM Phase Switch?

Without the detailed explanation of out of phase which I can't do justice to, it slightly thins out the sound and gives it a bit of a different tonal quality. Someone else can explain what putting the pickups out of phase from each other means.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 07:21 AM

Reviews: 4

IIRC it's kinda like the strat sound, right? so you can simulate RW/RP with a HH?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 07:34 AM

I can tell you what a phase switch does.
The phase switch puts the pickups out of phase with each other by effectively wiring one of them backwards.
What this does for the sound is all the frequencies that are common to both pickups i.e. the bass frequencies will cancel so you are left with the bridge pickup treble content only, no bass.
This gives a characteristically thin quality to the sound.
because the pickups are placed at different points on the string, the cancellation is not perfect.
In the case of a strat even though the pickups are wired in phase, the different positions means that some of the frequency content cancels and you get that position 2 and 4 "honk".
jim
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thx a lot you guys...
I still get a little bit confuse, but I got a general idea about it. May be I need to heard it by myself that I can understand the different.

Tags
phrase switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode