What metal is? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

What metal is?

Hi I'm a new member of this forum, I'm italian ( so scuse me for my english...)and I'm searching some informations about the bridge of the Jem555: the "EdgePro II", I strongly need yours help.
I want to know what is the metal of this bridge!!!
I want to gild all the hardware of my Jem but if its metal is a zinc alloy (in my country is called "zama"...a zinc alloy with aluminium, copper and magnesium), the gold plating is inadvisable...I can also damage irreparably the bridge; instead, if the bridge is made with another alloy or particular metal it's possible to take in consideration the plating process.
In Italy I can't find informations about this subject...some peoples tell me that the Ibanez's bridges are made with steel, others tell me that is zama... iron... antimony.. etc. Nobody knows the truth!!!!
Can you help me? Thank you!

Last edited by STYLO; 09-06-2006 at 01:32 PM. Reason: bad title!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Re: What metal is?

Hey, ther's anybody here??????????
I think that in USA we can help me... ...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:21 AM

dunno what the metala called but its weak i wore through the knife edge within two months so i bought a gotoh and it slipped right in with a tiny bit of sanding on the right of the cavaty the edge pro 2 isnt as bad as the trs but it aint amazingly better i recomend changing for ofr or gotoh from the bay
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:56 AM

Lightbulb Re: What metal is?

I'm guessing a bit, but Zamac seems the logical choice for the LoPro and Edge Pro. I don't know if the Edge Pro II is similar.

The base plate of a real Floyd Rose bridge is made of hardened steel, but it is relatively thin compared to an Edge. On an Edge, LoPro Edge or Edge Pro the knife insert is hardened steel. Don't know about the Edge Pro II

Zamak is a zink alloy primarily used for die casting or injection molding, which means you can make very complex parts. (such as a bridge)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZAMAK

http://www.eazall.com/diecastalloys.aspx

http://www.zinsa.com/contsi/zamac.shtml

maybe you should rename the thread as a full question to get more response, for example:

"What material is the Edge Pro?"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for yours answers; I have open another thread with a different title.. so I hope to have more replies.
;-)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:38 PM

hmmmm, I suggested renaming this thread, not starting a new one...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Sorry but I don't understand how rename the thread...(I'm italian and I'm new in this forum) so scuse me if I open a new one; I hope you can help me just the same.
bye

Tags
base plate , floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode