What necks fit the JEM body? Anyone ever get an unfinished ebay JEM body? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

What necks fit the JEM body? Anyone ever get an unfinished ebay JEM body?

I got a JEM body off ebay through mai-guitars from Chris Maiorana. It took several mods to get it to fit the Edge Pro tremolo, but I THINK I got it. I had a cheap RG neck with minimal fret wear, so I tried to use it. I had to cut off the overhang and pull out the plastic nut, installing a locking nut. When I went to put it together, the neck sat up too high and at a weird angle, so I sanded the back of the neck down. It was too much, and the strings were WAY too far away from the frets, and it wouldn't stay in tune at ALL!

My questions are: What necks fit the JEM body? And why didn't it stay in tune? I don't want to buy a neck and have the same problem, especially with tuning.....

HELP?

Thanks!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:04 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: What necks fit the JEM body? Anyone ever get an unfinished ebay JEM body?

Pretty much any RG neck with locking nut can fit it. And it probably fits like a glove. My Japanese one did.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:13 PM

Reviews: 2

Sorry man....it doesn't sound like you planned this project very well. You obviously bought an AANJ body and used a square heel neck. cutting off the last 2 fret's threw off your scale length, that's why it's not in tune. You also used a hardtail neck and adapted a locking nut.......that can throw the scale off even more.

You need a '94-'03 Wizard/WizardII with the AANJ heel and a shelf for a locking nut. Some of these necks may not be a direct bolt-on. If you get one that's not, adapting it to fit is fast and simple.........

Remember, ask questions about a project BEFORE spending your money.....it will save you tons of time, $$, and aggravation.........
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Sorry man....it doesn't sound like you planned this project very well. You obviously bought an AANJ body and used a square heel neck. cutting off the last 2 fret's threw off your scale length, that's why it's not in tune. You also used a hardtail neck and adapted a locking nut.......that can throw the scale off even more.

You need a '94-'03 Wizard/WizardII with the AANJ heel and a shelf for a locking nut. Some of these necks may not be a direct bolt-on. If you get one that's not, adapting it to fit is fast and simple.........

Remember, ask questions about a project BEFORE spending your money.....it will save you tons of time, $$, and aggravation.........
Ditto !
Its a bit late in the day now but you should have glued a piece of wood under the overhang and plugged up the old screw holes and drilled new ones.
You could have elongated the nut shelve toward the tuners but it looks pretty naff so make sure you get a neck with the nut-shelve.

Al.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Ditto !
Its a bit late in the day now but you should have glued a piece of wood under the overhang and plugged up the old screw holes and drilled new ones.
You could have elongated the nut shelve toward the tuners but it looks pretty naff so make sure you get a neck with the nut-shelve.

Al.
But be careful....Some of the guys around here require a heftier nut-shelf than the norm.........
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Why wouldn't a Wizard with an AANJ newer than '03 work?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:48 AM

Reviews: 4

It will work. Just need a good bit of sanding the neck pocket.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faekildare View Post
It will work. Just need a good bit of sanding the neck pocket.
Exactly.......the '04 and later necks are 2mm wider at the pocket.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, update here....It was an SA neck, and it was AANJ. I didn't clip off frets, just the slight bit of useless overhang to accommodate the neck pickup. The neck was one I've had for YEARS and just never used, so I'm not upset at all by the failure of it, but I just don't want to do it again! I had a bit of difficultly getting the Edge Pro tremolo to fit, had to rout a lot more out. I'm wondering if I used the right pivots for the tremolo...I cranked them all the way down and maybe they are still too high?

The neck fit the pocket perfectly, it just was too 'tall'....the strings hit the frets and the strings were WAY too far away from the pickups, seemed the angle was off a bit....

Hmm....

Steve

Tags
body , ebay , jem , mai-guitar , neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode