What is the "NEW JEM JRS333" ?!? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 02:32 PM
EKG

I actually don't see a problem with them making a 333 model. We don't need to buy it, of course, but it does put a "JEM" guitar in the hands of those that are not as fortunate as those that can afford the high end models. Also, it is good for the new upstart player to have his "hero's" guitar.

I also manufacture BMX bicycles. A LOT of kids want our bike, but we are very expensive, due to the quality and manufacturing in the USA. We are looking into making a line of our bikes "overseas" in order to supply those kids our product at a much lower price. It will not be exactly the same nor meet the quality of our high end bikes, but they still get a "NAME BRAND" at a fraction of the cost.

If my nephew decides he wants to learn guitar since we saw G3, and he wants a JEM, I am NOT going to get him a top notch JEM and then have him loose interest because he doesn't want to put in the practice time. I would get him a 555 or 333.

Does any of this make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 02:48 PM

My theories:

1) It's designed as a "Mommy, I want a guitar" type deal, where they want a guitar and don't care which one, but see the cool one with the handle.

2) It's not in the Ibanez catalogue (online, print, or elsewhere) to avoid true JEM fanatics (i.e. us) from seeing it and complaining (as we are now, and have done in the past over the 555).

See, they do know we're here.
post #18 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 02:55 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
funny stuff here. Eddie... loan your nephew a real JEM/RG5xx or build him an axe yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez otaku
I think Ibanez just might be partially responsible for this fast food approach to R&D and the continued degradation of a brand they own. Folk such as yourself should have a crystal clear view of this occurring.
I think you need to travel to Japan to see the "continued degradation" happening... cause that's where these decisions are made... glen
post #19 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 03:14 PM

excuse my ignoracnce, but

is there any solid proof of the existence of the 333, apart from one or two that could've as well been home-made?
post #20 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 03:15 PM
site founder 0% owner

it's real see Butch's post for the specs... glen
post #21 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 04:32 PM

it's ok, when the 333's start popping up on ebay for $250 or $300, I'll still grab one, it's a Jem body and a use-able neck for less than it would cost to get both made, then you refinish them, or even not refinish them, just use them, put in a decent trem, and pickups, and you have a really use-able guitar for a lot less than a VWH.

I agree it's sad to see Jems hit such a low end, but hey, everything has a low end somewhere. As I say, for the body and neck, once they hit ebay, it's a good project for a Jem. Cheaper than buying a 470 and modding it anyway.
post #22 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 01:36 AM

Jimi D?

I know I am still a "newcomer" here, but Jimi D? What about the Megadeth groupies at Jackson? I missed something there...lol
post #23 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Kolesar
I actually don't see a problem with them making a 333 model. We don't need to buy it, of course, but it does put a "JEM" guitar in the hands of those that are not as fortunate as those that can afford the high end models. Also, it is good for the new upstart player to have his "hero's" guitar.
I totally agree with you. Many of us have not started right away with a Jem or a UV. I waited 7 year before being able to buy a UV777, until then I did buy the lower end models that looked like my heroes' guitars.
I guess the kid who will save up some money or get this guitar as a gift from his parents will at least say to himself that I have a guitar that "looks" like Steve's guitar...then probably he wil someday find out that it doesnt sound like a high end Jem at all. But the guy will still be pleased to have this axe in his hands.
I guess we all will agree that the Jem and UVs have a more than positive reputation as being some of the finest Ibanez guitars made. Fender and Gibson fans do not get anxious when knowing about the crappy Squiers or Epiphones that are released...why should we?
post #24 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Re: Jimi D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhnaten
I know I am still a "newcomer" here, but Jimi D? What about the Megadeth groupies at Jackson? I missed something there...lol
hehehe I hang a lot at the Jackson/Charvel forum too where I'm infamous for defending the value and quality of Ibanez guitars against the frequently disparaging remarks leveled at them by some of the hard-core Jackson fans... I'll probably get ribbed about the new 333 when it becomes common knowledge
post #25 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 07:02 PM
site founder 0% owner

these guys are barking up the wrong tree in regard to "value & quality". there are two issues being intermixed that should not.

#1 the quality of ibanez korean axes is not bad at all, just obviously not the same as a jem7. but nothing anyone but a boutique guitar-only player can comment on. All brands offer korean and/or chinese made guitars. The 333 is actually a better bargain than the 555 was as Jeremy/LGM said... cheaper price in those countries offering the guitar for sale.

#2 it's the whole absurdity of a cheap "signature" model being produced that we're disgusted at in this thread.
post #26 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 04:00 PM

Here's what it will probably look like based on Butch's specs:

post #27 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 05:02 PM

Actually, if you gave it better pickups and bridge, that isn't all that bad looking. Especially in other colours. Just imagine, a couple minor cosmetic changes to the black model, and you've got a mini-me for your UV7BK.
post #28 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 02:19 PM

Actually, i disagree on the whole "low end signature" thing being a good idea for beginning guitarists. I mean, we've got the korean S-series and RG-series guitars- they're not EXACTLY like a Jem or a Satriani model, but you get something quite close; in the case of the s-series, a streamlined strat body and 22-fret neck with a floating bridge, and the RG's a pointy strat style body with a floating bridge and 24-fret neck. The guitars are out there, they just don't have the names stamped on them. Isn't that good enough? buy the guitar that your hero's guitar is based on to get started (i know this isn't technically true with the satriani, but it looks close enough for most beginners when you strap the thing on), and then when you get the chops and cash, buy the "real" signature model. When you're ready for the name, pay for it.

As a slightly related anecdote, before i played my first edge-equipped guitar (i started in style, on my friend's chrome boy), i would have happily settled for a JS-100. Not knowing any better, it seemed like a better deal than the 1000 (that, and i liked the TR finish). There's a bunch of us out there, that are hardcore Vai or Satch fans, but not terribly knowledgable about ibanez, who would settle for the lower quality one because we aren't aware of the differences in quality. If they discontinued the 100 (and the 555 and *shudder* the 333), guys like me would be willing to go for the better guitar- the exsistance of the cheaper ones definately undercuts sales of the top-of-the-line sig models.

-Drew
post #29 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 02:30 PM
EKG

I understand all the feelings about the 333 coming out. But, we all have to realize that there is a lot more money made by doing this. Just like a previous post, Steve and Ibanez must want this for it to happen. It's all about business and the mighty dollar.
post #30 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 03:43 PM

Not bad looking IMHO - it's sort of like a PGM30. I like it. They finally canned the gawd awful half vine and block inlay with the name on it?

These are only available outside of the USA?

Tags
alder body , angled jack , basswood body , beautiful guitar , black pickguard , brian moore , buzz feiten , buzz feiten tuning system , chrome boy , chrome hardware , chrome vine , cosmo black hardware , cosmo hardware , custom jem , darren wilson , dimarzio breed , dimarzio breeds , dot inlay , dot inlays , double locking tremolo , edge trem , electric guitar , equipped guitar , feiten tuning system , fender strat , fender stratocaster , fixed bridge , floating trems , frank gambale , fret inlay , fret level , fret markers , fret neck , fret wire , gibson les paul , gibson les paul standard , hollow body , ibanez catalog , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez models , ibanez roadstar , ibz inf , inf pickups , jem bsb , jem neck , jem project , jumbo frets , korean guitar , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls , locking tremolo , mahogany body , maple neck , mirrored pickguard , monkey grip , music store , neck pickup , pearloid pickguard , piezo bridge , playing guitar , ply pickguard , pro edge , production model , scratch plate , signature guitar , signature strat , standard jem , steve vai , strat body , strat style , thrash metal , tremolo system , trs trems , truss rod , truss rod cover , tuning system , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode