What is the "NEW JEM JRS333" ?!? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Nickelson
Looks like a guitar to use as a 'stunt guitar' on stage... where you burn it and smash it at the end of the night (then rebuild it the next day)?

If it's $400 I'll buy one.

Gabe
Gah!! How could you do that to anything that says "JEM" on it!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Nickelson
Looks like a guitar to use as a 'stunt guitar' on stage... where you burn it and smash it at the end of the night (then rebuild it the next day)?

If it's $400 I'll buy one.

Gabe
Gah!! How could you do that to anything that says "JEM" on it!?!
to avoid bad rep, it will say "Ibenes Gem"
post #48 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 05:22 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
i'm still curious why we need a "dirt cheap - buy me mommy - JEM model?

ibanez/vai and WE didn't need this for a seven years, but suddenly it is such a global necessity? We must milk the cash cow dry nowadays, assuming this is even profitable to begin with? Sorry, but I just don't see it and probably never will.

If ibanez is counting on sales from this sludge in second-rate marketplaces to fund R&D then they're doomed. The cannot be this stupid. I cannot see the positives here when you think thru the scenario, including the negative impact on "affordable" guitars being marketed and made without such compromises as the jem333... glen
post #49 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 05:37 PM

"mmmmmooooOOOOOOOOOOO"

Ok, I'm tired, that's enough out of me.
post #50 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

"mmmmmooooOOOOOOOOOOO"

Ok, I'm tired, that's enough out of me.
LoL, but it's cheaper than JP's cow guitar
post #51 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 06:34 PM
EKG

I am very curious as to how they (Ibanez) came up with this idea? What kind of research or survey justifies this marketing scheme? Yes, I am sure there is a decent profit margin on these. How is the JEM line doing overall? Is it slowing down? Do they feel the high end buyers are no longer buying, and that they have to aim at a more affordable market? Maybe the JS100's proved something to them that they would now like to try with the JEM? Perhaps knowing there is a decent market for used JEMs, they think putting out a new JEM at the price of a used JEM (or lower) will make the buyer go for the "new" one? Obviously, I have a lot of questions I do understand that making a more affordable model will put a JEM in some more hands, but I don't know if there is enough that will buy.

(Again, I base this on my own studies, a completely different market than guitars)
post #52 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 07:13 PM

Well, all I can say is.. the fret inlay work (screw head look) on those JEM BSB etc. are probably the worst I've ever seen on a guitar of that price. Actually worst then Made in China Squiers. Those are the stuff I wanna complain, I don't care about the 333 or 555. Not every kid gonna start on a ££££ guitar. I started on a Squier then to Ibanez EX360... without low end cheap guitars most people would have never had a chance.
post #53 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 06:56 AM

IMHO the screwheads are way better than plain dot inlays, and suit the whole look of the DBK and BSB. If you can think of anything better for those two (yeah, I admit the chrome vine DBK would be cool), cool, but IMHO, the screwheads are cool.
post #54 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 10:09 AM

Perhaps like all other, "Why can't we have a Jem/UV that is..." questions, we should defer them to Vai.com. Ultimately, anything having to do with the line, he has 100% control over. If Steve did not want the guitar released, it would not be released. This guitar is only available in secondary markets. Realistically, most of us will never see this guitar in person anyway.

Perhaps it was done for those who can't get an upper line Jem at a fair price. Perhaps it was done to fill a void in the market in the lands where it was released. It was not released in North America, Europe, or Japan (the three biggest markets), so our speculation is kind of wasted.

Cheers,
Butch
post #55 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 11:55 AM

Quote:
IMHO the screwheads are way better than plain dot inlays, and suit the whole look of the DBK and BSB. If you can think of anything better for those two (yeah, I admit the chrome vine DBK would be cool), cool, but IMHO, the screwheads are cool.
a piece of paper with tranparent plastic thing glued on top... and have you seen the care they must have toke to put those in? LOL! hair, wood dust and what else can they have left on the top of that X paper before glueing the round plastic on top?
post #56 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDlamode
Quote:
a piece of paper with tranparent plastic thing glued on top... and have you seen the care they must have toke to put those in? LOL! hair, wood dust and what else can they have left on the top of that X paper before glueing the round plastic on top?
Well, Shred, you seem to be enjoying the BSB quite a lot here:

IMO, most inlays are 'round plastic' things, and Ibanez is to be commended on doing something different yet again than boring white dots with the screw heads. I mean, as an idea it's pretty good, right? I'd have preferred if they used real brass screw heads beneath a little protective plastic, but the paper ones are still cool. They go with the industrial nature of the BSB/DBK, don't you think?
post #57 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 01:25 PM

Reviews: 5
On the topic of the screwhead inlays- I think they're pretty dorky myself. They don't look like screws- they're WHITE...

other better options:

1. No inlays. Very smooth looking
2. Chrome Vine. I've been saying this for at least 4 years now
3. Chrome Pyramids
post #58 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 01:27 PM

Screw heads can be replaced pictures of the chrome vine on the DBK will be up probably tomorrow
post #59 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Going a bit off topic now, which we really shouldn't, but I've always flt that the BSB's inlays should be replaced with blue Sims' LEDs and that that modification should be compulsory
post #60 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDlamode
Not every kid gonna start on a ££££ guitar. I started on a Squier then to Ibanez EX360... without low end cheap guitars most people would have never had a chance.
Yeah dude, we already have those- namely, the very guitars you quoted. Why cheapen the JEM line like this when there's better (in a "what you get for what you pay" scenario- if the $700 guess is accurate, you can score a RG550 for that) and more affordable beginner guitars out there? I don't get it...

-Drew

Tags
alder body , angled jack , basswood body , beautiful guitar , black pickguard , brian moore , buzz feiten , buzz feiten tuning system , chrome boy , chrome hardware , chrome vine , cosmo black hardware , cosmo hardware , custom jem , darren wilson , dimarzio breed , dimarzio breeds , dot inlay , dot inlays , double locking tremolo , edge trem , electric guitar , equipped guitar , feiten tuning system , fender strat , fender stratocaster , fixed bridge , floating trems , frank gambale , fret inlay , fret level , fret markers , fret neck , fret wire , gibson les paul , gibson les paul standard , hollow body , ibanez catalog , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez models , ibanez roadstar , ibz inf , inf pickups , jem bsb , jem neck , jem project , jumbo frets , korean guitar , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls , locking tremolo , mahogany body , maple neck , mirrored pickguard , monkey grip , music store , neck pickup , pearloid pickguard , piezo bridge , playing guitar , ply pickguard , pro edge , production model , scratch plate , signature guitar , signature strat , standard jem , steve vai , strat body , strat style , thrash metal , tremolo system , trs trems , truss rod , truss rod cover , tuning system , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode