What is the "NEW JEM JRS333" ?!? - Page 6 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
PS- on the dude with the 2.0mm action; I'm assuming the guitars you're quoting as having 1mm action don't have floating trems; much below 2.0 and you'll start fretting out when you pull back on the bar. 2.0 on the bass side is considered pretty good for a floating trem system; if your customer isn't happy with that, then tell him to sell it and look for something with a fixed bridge.
Heh, the 2mm action guitar has a TRS, that thing doesn't pull up far enough to worry about chokes, IMO.. If you pick and fret light enough, you can get away with almost anything action-wise, as long as the neck isn't messed up. Humps, warps, twists, any of these in even slight amounts make mirco action difficult.

The 1mm guitars are mine(RG750, RG7620, RG570), though I don't pull up very often, I can get the full pull up on the G, B, and high E strings.. That's all I really need, rather do dives, flutters, or those Satch-type scoops(Echo).. 2mm action seems high to me now, though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vai the god of Sound
Here's what it will probably look like based on Butch's specs:

thats looks a hell of alot like this. http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG250DX
post #78 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthebeef
Quote:
Here's what it will probably look like based on Butch's specs:

thats looks a hell of alot like this. http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG250DX
yeah well, I took the 250DX, cropped a new fretboard on it, croped the lions claw and handle into the body and put jem on the label
post #79 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 03:11 PM

Quote:
PS- on the dude with the 2.0mm action; I'm assuming the guitars you're quoting as having 1mm action don't have floating trems; much below 2.0 and you'll start fretting out when you pull back on the bar.
Try telling that to Satch and Mike Manning.

Steve
post #80 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 05:04 PM

i don't see any problem with this. My freinds, its called capitalism.
Lemme put it to u this way....we like jems, thats why were here: were crazy about them. We will never change our opinion that the jem is the best axe out there, whether we boycott the 333, and just run straight to the 7vwh, or whether the 333 never comes to existence. The outcome is the same for us....we're hardcore.
The worse that can happen in this situation is that it will raise awareness of the Jem outside our tight knit circle. It might also give asswipes like Ed Roman reason to bitch, but he hates even the best jems as it is! Other than that, its all about Ibanez saying, "Show me the money"!!! Hell, when i was in my early teenage years, I would have gladly bought a 555 or 333 to kick around if they would have been around.....we could all put that sustainer system we all want in one of them. Not to many of us want to rip apart a 1500 dollar geetar to put one in.
Anyway, what I'm saying is that 333 or not, our community will still exist, and those that don't like the jems, probably won't change either way... so its all good.

After all, will any of you stop using your Ibanez Jem if this 333 is realeased? Would you not buy a high end jem again if you had the opportunity, regardless of the 333? I thought you would answer like.
that!
U see, I don't think it would do anything detrimental to the jem line, mainly because it will have no effect on hardcore jemmers (and I think if u play one, u probably are hardcore).
post #81 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 05:21 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Not to be a broken recoard, but the "project 333" mentality is IMHO completely misguided in that a used RG5xx would be a lot cheaper and better starting point... both short term and long term. Your mileage will vary... glen
post #82 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:01 PM

I think that the 333 will probably be cheaper or as cheap as a decent RG (ie. 270).

Us being die hard, hardcore jem-addicts should really be discussing this topic that hard. It's a simple decission made by Ibanez (and maybe Vai) to have a cheaper Jem model for those who really cannot afford the higher models. This has been said over and over, and since we are trying to get more complex answers, it's not necessary.

I honestly cannot afford a jem, but I got my 77FP for a steal! I would buy a 555 or 333 and simply put better parts in it by my own labour.

I agree with Dave with it being a project guitar. The sustainer...pickups...trem...hell, even a new paintjob. I think it's just a fun idea for people to go, "Hey, it's a jem you really don't have to polish up everytime you come in contact with it..."
post #83 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:34 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
I think that the 333 will probably be cheaper or as cheap as a decent RG (ie. 270).
Lets at least speculate using a common reference point. The list price for the JEM555 was $1,199.99. Used RG5xx made-in-jpn guitars sell used for $200-300 every day.

Quote:
Us being die hard, hardcore jem-addicts should really be discussing this topic that hard. It's a simple decission made by Ibanez (and maybe Vai) to have a cheaper Jem model for those who really cannot afford the higher models. This has been said over and over, and since we are trying to get more complex answers, it's not necessary. I honestly cannot afford a jem, but I got my 77FP for a steal! I would buy a 555 or 333 and simply put better parts in it by my own labour.
* You're going to chop up the body trem routing, ruining the paint and top
* You're going to buy an Edge Trem, posts & mounts ($75-150)
* You're going to tweak the frets to match the made in jpn quality.
* You're going to pay more alot $$$ more for less

see what we're saying... glen
post #84 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 04:26 AM

I think the point here is simple.

You're getting an inferior guitar, for probably the same price as a great guitar, just because it has a grip/claw/Vai's name on it.

Not what I'd consider a deal.

This is exactly what breeds Ibanez bashers, most of whom buy the cheaper models, then have problems with the bridge, neck, or both.. I wonder how many of the nameless masses bought a 555, and after having problems, dropped Ibanez all together, and started telling everyone they knew that they[Ibanez] make crap guitars? Or how many of them felt ripped off, after coming here and seeing the differences between their $800 Korean guitar, and a $600 Japanese one?

Is this the direction we want Ibanez to go in? Useing the artist's name and image to sell cheaply made guitars?

Sorry for the rant, I just don't see any firm gound to defend this model from..
post #85 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripl3y
Quote:
PS- on the dude with the 2.0mm action; I'm assuming the guitars you're quoting as having 1mm action don't have floating trems; much below 2.0 and you'll start fretting out when you pull back on the bar.
Try telling that to Satch and Mike Manning.

Steve
Hmm... i don't know my metric conversions by heart, but that does sound pretty damned low... Off to the tech section to see if there's a way to minimize that "compression" of action you get as you pull back...

-Drew
post #86 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 08:34 PM

Once again, this guitar would never exist if Steve Vai did not want it to.. Many people are forgetting this very important fact. If Vai didn't see a need (or a paycheck), this guitar wouldn't happen. Steve has 1000000% control over the Jem and UV lines. Ibanez is responsible for putting it into the market.

Another reminder. Most of the people who are posting about this guitar will never see one in person! These Jems are set for very small distribution in seemingly less affluent sections of the world. These will not be released to the US, Canada, Europe, or Japan. Therefore, speculating price is pointless. In order to get one, you still have to tack on shipping, customs, and whatever other charges to get the guitar to your door. Odds are, by that point, the 333 will cost as much as a 7DBK (or close).

After much thought, I am going to take the unpopular stance that there is a certain amount of snobbery going on in the forum. This thread proves it. The cries of "How can they do this?", "This will cheapen the Jem line", "It can't possibly be good" are all signs of snobbery.

As part of a recent fantastic deal, I bought a Jem777VDSY and a Jem555BK with nonoriginal cases for $800USD. If I am sharing the score with some members of the forum, I don't hear that it was a good deal, I am asked why I bought a 555! IT WAS PART OF THE DEAL. I couldn't get the pricing on the VDSY if I didn't get the 555. Simple math. If you want to go by the market pricing, I paid $650 for the VDSY and $150 for the 555. I'd do that deal any day. I set up the 555 and it's not a bad guitar, regardless of the bashing it receives.

Many people will not consider the 555 (or the 333) as a "real Jem". Most of this is because of the trem! "If it isn't an Edge, it sucks" seems to be the battle cry. I have a few guitars with properly set up TRS trems and have no problems with tuning. I will go on record saying that the 555 is a "real Jem".

What I find interesting are the amount of people who say this, but will cut a grip in their RG, put in a lion's claw, maybe throw in a swirl and/or some inlay, and call it their "custom Jem". I'm not bashing those who do the work, or the players who get the work done (Herc has done 3 swirls for me and Eddie K. is helping me "clean up" the trem cavity on the 777VDSY.).

I know that this feeling that there is some snobbery will rub some people here the wrong way. It's my viewpoint and observation. Just remember, if you like the guitar, play it. If not, move along and try something else.

I apologize for the rant, but I needed to vent.

Cheers,
Butch
post #87 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 08:56 PM
Vendor

There has always been a fair amount of snobery when talking about the TRS vs. Edge/LP, and in all honesty, if Ibanez doesn't get a grip on Gotoh and straighten out the persistent knife edge problem that creates 2 false neutrals, the TRS is becoming more attractive everyday. Of course I have very little real TRS experience and they may be seeing the same problems plaguing the better trems, but the bottom line is it's shameful that this problem has persisted going on the third year now. I do fully understand the economic limitations now present in Japan for capitol finance that are putting the restraints on retooling the production line at Gotoh, but the bottom line is that the current hardware is inferior to the pre 00' hardware, even though the guitars themselves are enjoying some of the best QC in the modern era. Unfortunate it is.

Sorry, had my own rant to get out
post #88 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:14 PM

Butch,

I hear you man, I said it on the first page of this thread. I also do custom work on RG bodies, why that is acceptable, to spend $300 on an RG, and then another $250 for mods, and refinishing, plus $150 for new pickups is ok, but to buy a 555 for $500, and spend $200 for a lo pro is not ok eludes me.

I said at the start, I'm glad everyone hates the idea of the 333, cuz when they start popping up on ebay for next to no money, I'd buy one, upgrade the trem, and pickups, and have a really good Jem.

There are very few ways you can screw up a body, and really, a neck is a neck. There are nicer ones than some, but, really, either it twists, (which even 777 necks do, trust me, I just fixed one for a VBK) or the frets suck, well, if you want a kewl inlay anyway, it's gonna get refretted.

I say bring on the cheap Jem, who cares, nobody is making you buy one, it doesn't really cheapen the line. It's the poor mans Ferrari, I mean, realistically, Ferrari built low end Ferrari's too, but I don't know anyone who argues they still aren't a Ferrari,
post #89 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:57 PM

you guys are really into the high end stuff.......
i was blown away by the six string S370DX and your saying thats a low end guitar? i feel ashamed to have bought a "branched off company of Ibanez"(yes we all what that is) 7 string as my first guitar I know you guys are going to give me hell for that. [/img]
post #90 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomheadrg7
you guys are really into the high end stuff.......
i was blown away by the six string S370DX and your saying thats a low end guitar? i feel ashamed to have bought a "branched off company of Ibanez"(yes we all what that is) 7 string as my first guitar I know you guys are going to give me hell for that. [/img]
Don't worry about it, man. If you're happy with your axe, you're happy with it. Nothing is going to change that. Try to think of "low-end model" simply as a term used to reference products. All products, whether you're talking about guitars, cars or computers gotta be labeled one way or another. It doesn't necessarily mean it sucks. Try not to read into it too much.

- raijin

Tags
alder body , angled jack , basswood body , beautiful guitar , black pickguard , brian moore , buzz feiten , buzz feiten tuning system , chrome boy , chrome hardware , chrome vine , cosmo black hardware , cosmo hardware , custom jem , darren wilson , dimarzio breed , dimarzio breeds , dot inlay , dot inlays , double locking tremolo , edge trem , electric guitar , equipped guitar , feiten tuning system , fender strat , fender stratocaster , fixed bridge , floating trems , frank gambale , fret inlay , fret level , fret markers , fret neck , fret wire , gibson les paul , gibson les paul standard , hollow body , ibanez catalog , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez models , ibanez roadstar , ibz inf , inf pickups , jem bsb , jem neck , jem project , jumbo frets , korean guitar , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls , locking tremolo , mahogany body , maple neck , mirrored pickguard , monkey grip , music store , neck pickup , pearloid pickguard , piezo bridge , playing guitar , ply pickguard , pro edge , production model , scratch plate , signature guitar , signature strat , standard jem , steve vai , strat body , strat style , thrash metal , tremolo system , trs trems , truss rod , truss rod cover , tuning system , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode