what is the next-closest guitar to any js series? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation what is the next-closest guitar to any js series?

ive decided to return my 13-year old ibanez js100 in atlantic blue because of its non-stop problems. its not the stock bridge, and i guess with that there will always be problems. ive taken it in for 3 setups since i got it in january, and since then i havent been able to play it. but, heres my problem. i got the guitar after playing hundreds of guitars, and i hated each of them. iv played every ibanez, gibson, fender, jackson, shecter, you name it. none was right for me. no matter how great the tone was on any jackson, i didnt like the feel of them. i am waaaaay picky on feel. this was the only ibanez without a disgusting-feeling neck. its the only ibanez i dont hate. tone, not the problem. ive played hundreds of guitars with fantastic tone. but theres no other guitar out there with the right feel to it. until i heard crush of love and decided to play the guitar of my new favorite guitarist (this was back in december). the neck was perfect. it felt amazingly smooth and fit my hand perfectly. the tone was the best ive ever heard out of a guitar (but thats not the issue, again). it wasnt all flat for shredders, and it got a HUGE array of tones. until then, i was a blues guitarist, and when i heard crush of love i became an experimental guitarist (talk about power of music, huh?) and with this guitar, i could always go back to my roots and play a perfect blues jam. the right feel, and tone for that stuff as well as the instrumental experimental stuff. i cant get another used js100, cause all they every do is have tons of problems, and i cant afford to buy it new. so, no matter how much i hate it, im gonna have to start looking at different guitars again. but i just cant find what im looking for!! the thing im looking closest at it a jackson rr3, cause since i was a kid, randy has been my idol until satch came around. so, my big question: what is the closet, cheap guitar to a js100 that will get bluesy tones, as well as having a good tone for satch-stuff, that i could get used and not have the same problems. this is a crisis!!!! ah!!! well, please reply and sorry for pouring out such a long thing here...bear with me...cheers
/|\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:34 PM

Re: what is the next-closest guitar to any js series?

A used JS1000 or JS1 perhaps? Seems like that will give you the neck feel you like and a better bridge, pickups, etc. Tuning stability will be a huge improvement. They're a bit more, of course, but if you're waaaaay picky you'll just have to pay for what you want.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
A used JS1000 or JS1 perhaps? Seems like that will give you the neck feel you like and a better bridge, pickups, etc. Tuning stability will be a huge improvement. They're a bit more, of course, but if you're waaaaay picky you'll just have to pay for what you want.
dude i cant is the thing man. the only reason i the js100 used, 13 years old, and so cheap is i am the poores guy alive.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 12:31 AM

Reviews: 1

Why not just buy the stock bridge for it? You other option is to get a new body for it and just put the neck you like on it.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 12:38 AM

if you can find one you should buy a radius serius..... precursor to the JS model....

540 R
540 radius.

or maybe find a used SV series. or an RX or RT series i think both of those had a similar JS style neck on the radius series it was called an ultra neck and on the rt or rx it was a viper neck.. both feel very nice....
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 AM

Reviews: 18

I take it from your comments that the JS100 isn't the only other guitar you own. My advice for you would be to sell one of your guitars and buy a used JS1000 from craigslist or the bay.

Jimmy
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:14 AM

Reviews: 59

I understand the money thing, but if that guitar is the guitar for you...save your pennies and buy a used JS1000. They are expensive but it's worth it. I don't think you'll be satisfied with anything else, both in terms of feel and versatility.
I was in the same boat as you and I went through several guitars until I purchased a JS1200 from Rich. It cost me almost 1500. That was about 2 years ago and since I bought it, I've spent at least that much money on other music equipment. Despite the GAS flare-ups that occur every other month, I've yet to look at another guitar. The JS is everything I want...til the JS 24 fretter comes out...
Point being, you'll still covet a JS until you decide to just go for it. I know money is tight, but saving up for it will be worth it in the long run. I don't think you'll find another guitar that is as versitile and comfortable as the JS for less.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:41 AM

Yep, save your pennies, take an extra job, mow lawns, collect cans or whatever it takes. Buy a JS from Rich and you'll never look back. I'm amazed at the tuning stability of my JS1200. Sometimes after abusing the living hell out of my trem, I'll go to tune it, and it'll be perfectly in tune. It's insane. I've played other 1200/1000's and they don't stack up to mine.

I've always been obsessive about not buying cheap because I can get it quick. I've worked long and hard for all of my equipment, but it's all top notch stuff. I don't regret a single item because I saved when I needed to, and spent the scratch it took to buy equipment I would always be happy with.

Bide your time, you'll appreciate the payout.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLG421 View Post
Yep, save your pennies, take an extra job, mow lawns, collect cans or whatever it takes. Buy a JS from Rich and you'll never look back. I'm amazed at the tuning stability of my JS1200. Sometimes after abusing the living hell out of my trem, I'll go to tune it, and it'll be perfectly in tune. It's insane. I've played other 1200/1000's and they don't stack up to mine.

I've always been obsessive about not buying cheap because I can get it quick. I've worked long and hard for all of my equipment, but it's all top notch stuff. I don't regret a single item because I saved when I needed to, and spent the scratch it took to buy equipment I would always be happy with.

Bide your time, you'll appreciate the payout.
alright thanks for the advice man. i hope all goes well.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 03:22 PM

I second the suggestion for and Ibanez Radius.

I bought one that was in pretty poor shape and it still rips better than any of my other guitars.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:38 PM

Reviews: 12

+1 for the radius!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 05:06 PM

+2 for the Radius!!
Even if you don't find an 540R and come across a 440R grab it! Only diference from the 540 is the pickups and the inlays I think!
It is Japanese made (not Korean), similar body shape to the JS, Viper neck and the original Edge trem, like the ones Satch prefers...
I have a 440R-HHBK project on the works right now, that I am going to post as soon as i finish it!

Last edited by jazzedout; 07-04-2009 at 05:12 PM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
+2 for the Radius!!
Even if you don't find an 540R and come across a 440R grab it! Only diference from the 540 is the pickups and the inlays I think!
It is Japanese made (not Korean), similar body shape to the JS, Viper neck and the original Edge trem, like the ones Satch prefers...
I have a 440R-HHBK project on the works right now, that I am going to post as soon as i finish it!
Just beware that the Radius has a very flat fret board compared to the JS series. The Radius was equipped with Viper/Ultra necks with a fretboard radius of 17"!!!! I have an '87 PRO540R (the first incarnation of the Radius) and the fretboard feels like a ruler compared to my JS, which has a 9.5" fretboard radius. The JS is sooooooo much more comfortable to play. Based on my research, the Radius' neck/fretboard didn't change in later releases, just the body (controls, cut aways, thickness, contours, colors).

Also, the Radius series has great big jumbo sized fretwire while the JS had small-medium fretwire (Dunlop 6105). This makes a huge difference (to me at least) when playing legato/slurs up and down a single string.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 08:34 AM

i don't have 1, but getting the js1200 as some have mentioned is probably the best bet. i've seen js1000 used for less than $1000 too. another option would be a custom neck on a 540-r. might wind up being cheaper then a js if you can find a good deal on the 540-r. for less then $300 i bought a musikraft neck with a banana headstock and compound radius fretboard, locking nut included. that's a bit of a project, but it's an option. i actually bought an old 540-r and am in the process of completely customizing it, paint, pickup, etc. good luck!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst6 View Post
i don't have 1, but getting the js1200 as some have mentioned is probably the best bet. i've seen js1000 used for less than $1000 too. another option would be a custom neck on a 540-r. might wind up being cheaper then a js if you can find a good deal on the 540-r. for less then $300 i bought a musikraft neck with a banana headstock and compound radius fretboard, locking nut included. that's a bit of a project, but it's an option. i actually bought an old 540-r and am in the process of completely customizing it, paint, pickup, etc. good luck!
This is actually a great idea. The JS/Radius body is comfortable and ergonomic and they are made to accept any standard strat type of bolt on neck.

Another option I am thinking of doing with my Radius is taking it in to a luthier as is and having the frets changed to 6105 and having a compound radius worked into the fretboard. I just know it's gonna be pretty expensive to do this.

Tags
ibanez , js100 , new guitar , satch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode