What next for JEMs? - Where do we go from here..... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

What next for JEMs? - Where do we go from here.....

With the dropping of the Floral JEM from the US market & nothing really new in JEMs in quite some time, where do loyal Ibanez fans think they will be going with them in the next 5 years? It's odd to me that they have not capitalized on their own retro move & brought back different models from time to time. You *know* they're aware of the used JEM/UV market here. Perhaps a new Japanese made JEM GMC would be out of the reach of too many buyers & a Korean model might not be attractive enough for serious consideration? I thought surely there'd be at least a new color (or two) for the JEM 7 & hopefully they'd drop the "textured" finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
What next for JEMs?

I hope they do lose the bobble finish - and go with a plain black stain (like the BSB) :biggrin:
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 06:02 PM
rgr

What next for JEMs?

And drop the screwhead markers, plain dots would be better IMHO. *They bother me worse that the textured finish, I still love the way my DBK plays and sounds though. *
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 07:19 PM

What next for JEMs?

I'd like to see reissue's of the old Jems, personally, I don't like the look of the DBK, and, I don't like the screw head inlays, but, I don't personally want dots on a Jem either. *To me, the Jem has always been either a vine or pyramids, that's kind of been one of the Jem trademarks. *Personally, I think that saying put regular dots in a Jem is like saying, make me a Jem without a monkey grip. *I know there have been Jem's without vines or pyramids, but the ones you really see, the most popular ones, have all either been vines or pyramids, (exception is the DNA, I love the DNA,) but even the DNA had something totally different for the inlay. *I don't think dots say Jem any more than shark tooth inlays do, and I sure wouldn't want to see a RG770 style neck on a Jem.
Just my $.02
Jeremy
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 07:32 PM

What next for JEMs?

Man....you guys are preachin' to the choir here.

Steve has the FINAL say on what colors, hardware, electronics and geegawz goes on the Jem......PERIOD.

Any changes to the Jem that Ibanez wants to do or think might be cool, they dial 1-800-GO STEVE :biggrin:.
I don't think that Ibanez has a swirled "Vai"phone, but you never know.

If you all are just wishing...drop another penny in the fountain and move on..

My .02 :bigrin:
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 09:11 PM

What next for JEMs?

I say #1 is get rid of the center single coil pickup and #2 is move the volume knob somewhere away from the bridge. *I doubt either of those will happen anytime soon though
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
What next for JEMs?

OK no - I'm not "just" wishing, I do reckon that the JEM will lose the DBK finish in it's next guise. I foresee that the 7vwh will be maintained as long as Steve and Evo continue to do what they do so well together but that in the light of the loss of the 555 that the next JEM will be a really simple JEM7, so that it's as affordable as the JEM7DBK but perhaps with even less eccentric Vai-isms. *(maybe a normal black finish?)

But "difficult to see, always in motion is the future"
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 11:43 PM

What next for JEMs?

I would love to see a plexi JEM and UV (sorta like the JEM7DBK/UV777BK thing) with LEDs in the body that light up in random patterns...that would be really neat to see as a stage guitar, but an XL JEM/UV would also be interesting. *I know Steve has a prototype alternate scale JEM. *Maybe a series of replicas of his most famous guitars as they are today (EVO, FLO, Bad Horsie, the PaW UV). *Any takers on these?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 12:20 AM

What next for JEMs?

To predict what will happen with the Jem, I think you have to pay attention to the artist who endorses them.

The guitar has obviously evolved with/around Vai. *Pickups have changed, neck shape, fingerboard materials and finishes too.

Remember, Vai endorses a guitar with the stigma of all Jems being created equally. *Originally, he stated that he wanted to be able to pick up any Jem and have it play and feel just like the last one that he put down. (remember - "right out of the box"))

Ya can't complain about the finish or inlays on the DBK, unless you're willing to accept less. *We cried and moaned for a more affordable Jem. *Ibanez cut corners by using simple inlays and a finish which requires little attention to detail. *We got the affordable Jem that we wanted, but we had to sacrifice the flash. *In the end, cosmetically, does it really matter?

That being said, I am pretty sure that you can count on a different set of pickups, possibly a new finish (but not likely) MAYBE a Sustainer like SSV used extensively on the UZ tour? *

Too much caffeine, but that's my .02 *
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 12:50 AM

What next for JEMs?

For an idea of what I mean by replicas, take a look at this:

http://www.espguitars.com/html/kh.html

And yeah, a sustainer JEM or even UV would be really cool. *Check out http://www.fernandesguitars.com, they've got 7-string sustainers now. *
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 04:33 AM

What next for JEMs?

Yeah, that's just what I want, a replica of a guitar that looks beat and has goofy stickers on it :biggrin:
Besides, I'm not preaching to any choir, I realize that with any sig guitar the artist has the final say. *I think that for the most part, these are all just wishes, and without wishes and dreams, where would we be really.
But just because the artist has final say, doesn't mean we can't voice opinions, yeah, maybe it won't do anygood, but at the same time, what if, just what if someone had an idea for a new Jem and Steve Vai was bored one day and decided to start surfing the web and ended up here, maybe he'd read the idea and like it! *Now, if we couldn't express our ideas, maybe nothing would ever change! *Right?!
Jeremy
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 08:06 AM

What next for JEMs?

I am not against dreaming, but the topic is what I think Ibanez will do to the Jem series, not "what is your dream Jem!"

I actually like the retro idea and the relic idea. *Evo or a BH model would be fun.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 08:29 AM

What next for JEMs?

That replica was very very scary... *I hope nobody buys them.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 08:37 AM

What next for JEMs?

It'd be really interesting if Steve evolved even further towards the "minimalist" direction that the VWH started in comparison to the flashy fluorescent and multicolour JEMs that preceded it.

Since Steve has recently been using guitars with different body woods, maybe a "natural" series with a few different wood options... alder, ash, mahogany, basswood, with subtle stained/oiled finishes to enhance the grain. No inlays on the fretboard, gold hardware and all the standard JEM appointments, including direct-mounted pickups, lion's claw/monkey grip and clear pickguard (if you must).

Whaddaya think, Steve?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 08:40 AM

What next for JEMs?

Good god! what the? *That Kirk Hammett replica is a joke! *Dear ESP: "hi I'm a poser that really can't bring myself to beat up a guitar that I paid $1000's for so would you consider making a line of guitars that look like crap all ready",,, I would also be willing to send you my lable maker to cut cost. *Man as picky as I am over detail ( just ask Rich) that guitar would freak me out,,,,
Dear ESP: "I bought one of your shot out looking guitars and have seen others,,,and well to be honest with you I am disappointed in the drag marks on my model and have noticed that mine doesn't have chunks of cement in it like the others do"....."I demand satisfaction" *What are you going to do,,,to make me happy" *:sarcasm:
However,,,,each to there own,,,,I just hope that Vai doesn't get any ideas from ESP. *I can hear the forum now! *"HEY THEM SCRATCHES IS REAL......WHAT THE HECK" *There would be posting on here like the DNA run with everyone commenting on "cool scratches dude". *
I will just sit back now and relax with my 2 new axes, which by the way,,,,I named the floral "Mrs.Roper" and the Universe "Grechon". *Special thanks to my bro's John Cowan and Rich! *

~A2K1

Tags
access neck joint , alder body , coil pickup , custom shop , ebony fretboard , edge trem , evolution pickups , fernandes sustainer , fret wire , fretboard radius , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , jem gmc , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , les paul , les paul custom , loch ness green , monkey grip , mounted pickups , neck joint , neck pickup , neck shape , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , shark tooth inlays , standard jem , steve vai , string sustainer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode