What a night..7DBK took slight beating... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

What a night..7DBK took slight beating...

i played a biker bar fri., sat., sun., here locally and as always, had my Wolfgang, Jem7DBK and i usually rotate a different guitar for a third - usually a hard tail - but just something else to get a chance to use most of my guitars live on stage.
at the end of a very powerful, heartfelt, and energetic set (3rd set of 4), i was ending the song doing some wild soloing and very obnoxious whammy action when naturally, a string popped. since the song was pretty much over, i kept getting really crazy using the whammy to shake the guitar furiously. while draining every last drop out of the energy and wicked sounds that i was getting, the strings just started popping and the ones that didn't pop, i was pulling off while jumping around holding the guitar by the whammy. it must have been quite a site ! as the songs last note finished i was holding the guitar with my finger on the tip of the headstock with the guitar standing upright on the strap button/input side of the guitar and as the very last note was played i let go of it and let it fall landing on a very safe carpeted stage on its' back, but exactly at the time the last note was hit by the band. the audience went nuts!! it turned out really cool and the guitar wasn't damaged at all... at least that is what i thought!
after the show was done i picked up my Jem (which one of my band mates had put on the stand after that fateful, energetic song/beating ) to clean and case and when pulling the whammy bar out i noticed it was sitting really low in the plate. i gave it a slight pull to remove it and it felt like it wasn't even attatched. i thought , "oh S#@*!!", i killed my whammy!" . i think the trem holder on the back side of the trem plate might have fallen out inside the trem cavity but have yet to get a chance to find out if that is the problem.
yikes... i will continue this thread when i find out what problem i encounter inside the cavity tonight or tomorrow....stay tuned

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 08:08 AM

Eh, stuff like that just happens when you rip your strings off in an orgasmic rage of rawk powah. You'll probably find that the loss of string tension has just resulted in the knife edges drifting from their rightful spot against the trem posts. Just pop on some new strings and she'll be right as rain.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 10:35 AM

It was all for the good of the game. I'm sure the feeling was priceless. ROCK ON
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Ibanez endorsed

ROCKIN! Yeah man I have to agree. The trem is probably sitting just below the normal spot on the posts and you can either give it a quick yank upwards or the string tension from a new set of strings should bring it back. You get that performance on video? I would LOVE to see it! It was probably 10 times the show that bar normally gets!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

the crowd was going nucking futs!! i love my job!!!
i talked to Rich after pulling the trem plate and discovering a snapped arm holder. i should have replacement parts in time for my next show (thanks Rich!!) the arm holder was literally snapped about 2 1/2 threads down from the top (just below the nut). no biggie - i did let out a loud GASP when i pulled my DBK from it's case and realized how easily i could've snapped the headstock off letting it drop to the floor like that.
Rich had the same concern about letting the guitar drop on the front or back.
(with right hand on Bible) i swear not to do THAT AGAIN!!

the other stuff - string pulling and wild whammying will definitely happen when the moment strikes me!!
i wish i did have a video being shot - that would have been a keeper!!
there is a club here in town that has 4 cameras set up to run and to basically give you a pro DVD when your show is over with effects and everything. when we play at that club next time, i hope the mood is right for the fight!!
let's get it on!!!
i would definitely have to get the video hosted if that was on tape or if i get something else similar it will be.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 08:38 PM

Ouch. Oh well, that's a relatively easy fix. A small sacrifice to worship in the dervish of rock.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

while i have my DBK apart, i plan to have a student of mine use the pickguard as a template for a stainless mirror finished plate for the front, back covers and the truss cover.
i would NEVER abuse my other guitars in this way (i don't really consider it abuse compared to Steve's "Lasher" or "Attitude" guitars), but something about the DBK is asking to be rode hard - never put away wet! has anybody else experienced this "over-the-top mayhem" that the DBK brings out? something about these guitars - maybe they are only made on June 6th at 6 o'clock during a full moon?
i'd love to hear any other wild stories...

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 04:01 PM

Reviews: 1
Maybe we should start calling you "Pete Townsend"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

i'll try not to wear womens clothes

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 06:03 PM

I've had a few close calls with that "craziness moment" thing, the worst of which was my poor RG550 in DY.

Me an' the bass player got into some bizarre antics on that "elongated last song, last chord" thing and he started abusing a 4001 to the point of just smashing the sh*t out of it. In the afformentioned moment of madness I couldn't be outdone so I totally smashed up the RG and threw the bits to the crowd. The Funny thing was that people came up after wantin' the bits signin' which I found weird cos I cant play fer sh*t

The only good thing to come out of that was the fact that my love for that DY led me to get a 777DY recently (from you know who) but that ain't even going to gigs.

Any more mad moments.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 05:46 AM

I once picked my string really HARD and nearly broke it

woah...

Tags
arm holder , strap button , string tension , trem plate , truss cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode