What oil used on JS6? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Red face What oil used on JS6?

Does anyone know the exact kind of oil or stain used on the JS6? I have one that I've played for years, just recently finding out that it may be valuable someday, but it has a little bit of rub-off of the oil where a pickguard would normally be. It's not deep, just the oil is gone needing a little sanding/steel wool and re-oiling. (But I'm not a luthier, so not sure.)

Mine looks darker than the picture of the one on Ibanez Rules, I'm guessing that one was refinished, or kept under wraps for awhile while mine aged. So, I'm guessing I'd have to re-do the whole body instead of a touch up job?

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Sorry, I think this should be in the Tech forum, but I don't know how to move it. Could an Admin or Moderator move this posting? Thanks!

Last edited by frantick; 01-17-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Re: What oil used on JS6?

Well, just to answer my own question, I went to Home Depot, bought a can of Tung Oil, the only brand they had. I used steel wool on the bad spot beneath the neck pickup after taping the pickups, then rubbed some tung oil on there. Looks like fresh from the factory! If I can I'll post pics later.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Pic as promised. She's awaiting a little sister, Scarlet (JS1200) being prepped by Rich!

-cp

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Looking good there

I noticed you took off the string retainer bar on yours too, mine had that done when I got it and I keep promising to replace it. Do you ever notice an improvement in tone without the string retainer there?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

I think I still have the old tree, hope so anyway. I took it off because the strings would get caught underneath it and go out of tune while playing. I think the string trees are ok on Floyd equipped guitars because they have the locking nut which lessens/eliminates the string movement across the tree. But that's just my uneducated theory.

I replaced the chrome tuners with Sperzels because of the tuning issues, but it was the tree that was causing the problem, I believe anyway. I just found out that some grease or something should be applied to the tree, I might put it back on and try that, but I don't have any problems without it being there.

-cp
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantick View Post
I think I still have the old tree, hope so anyway. I took it off because the strings would get caught underneath it and go out of tune while playing. I think the string trees are ok on Floyd equipped guitars because they have the locking nut which lessens/eliminates the string movement across the tree. But that's just my uneducated theory.

I replaced the chrome tuners with Sperzels because of the tuning issues, but it was the tree that was causing the problem, I believe anyway. I just found out that some grease or something should be applied to the tree, I might put it back on and try that, but I don't have any problems without it being there.

-cp
This is why I don't think the JS should ever have been released as a fixed bridge. The angle coming off the nut to the tuners is huge because of the headstock drop they use. It just leads to all kinds of problems if you don't have a locknut there.

But yeah, Minwax Tung Oil will do the trick
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffergm View Post
The angle coming off the nut to the tuners is huge because of the headstock drop they use.
just unscrew the tree enough to decrease the strings angle at the nut, and you're set, or take it off. but i doubt the tree is the culprit for tuning problems: the strings just can't get caught underneath, as it's smooth as a fret. i think the nut itself is the problem.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
just unscrew the tree enough to decrease the strings angle at the nut, and you're set, or take it off. but i doubt the tree is the culprit for tuning problems: the strings just can't get caught underneath, as it's smooth as a fret. i think the nut itself is the problem.
Certainly possible. It's just that there's so much downward pressure exerted on the nut from the string tree due to the angle to the tuners that it's going to impact how easily the strings move through the nt. I don't know if they use a graphite nut on these or not, but they should have. Regardless, I still think it's a neck design that never should have been used without a locking nut.

Last edited by heffergm; 01-27-2009 at 10:48 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantick View Post
Pic as promised. She's awaiting a little sister, Scarlet (JS1200) being prepped by Rich!

-cp

Sweet JS6!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:54 AM

This

Tags
js6 , oil , refinish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode